PDA

View Full Version : DEC Rainbow 100B

Sharkonwheels
February 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
New acquisition arrived today....
PC100B, VR201 mono monitor, LK201 keyboard.
Cost a grand total of about $100, which was just the shipping! computer was fr33!!

However, PakMail's packing, and FedEx gorillas were not very kind....still working on it.

Popped it open - has a memory card, hard disk controller, hard disk, (1) RX50 FDD, and <drum roll> Color graphics option.

40lbs of original manuals and software in their binders+slipcovers are yet to arrive...

Now....anyone not too far away got the color monitor for this puppy?

I'll get some pix tomorr on PhotoBucket...

T

Micom 2000
February 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Ahh, that's my pride and joy. I have a similar RB 100+. What your looking for is a DEC VR241.
Don't know if anything else will work with it. Also the cable has the DEC DB15 connector like on a Mac. There's quite a bit of software available for it, both CP/M and DOS, and numerous other OS I can't remember. (CCP/M (Concurrent), CP/M86, CP/M+, ?)

The Rainbow unofficial home page is still available but the owner hasn't posted all the stuff he has available on CD he got from the owner of a RB BBS. I think he needs encouragement. He has occasionally done displays of some of his hacks with the RB at the VC Festival.

http://www.classiccmp.org/rainbow/

The Finnish DEC archive has a multitude of stuff(can't find the URL) and there's a couple of programs allowing you to transfer files. It will also allow you to format disks for other DEC products like the DEC Pro which you used to have to buy from DEC.

It's lovely in color and well worth the effort to find a color monitor for it since you have the somewhat rare card. A great machine, but DEC entered the home market too late and too timidly.

PLease let us know what you receive when you get the software package.

Lawrence

Sharkonwheels
February 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I remember in high school, a friend's father worked at Martin-Marietta in Central Florida, and he got a RB 100 brand new. It looked so cool with the smallish monitor on top...

Mine is giving an error on bootup - 'Message1 - System Board', but when I do 'F3' for setup, and then <Ctrl><F3> for reset, it will boot up.

Apparently I need the VR241-AA, and the proper cable. Funny thing is, I HAD the special cable, and sent it to the recycler with all the remaining DEC stuff I had about 3 years back. I had:
(5) Personal DECstation
(1) DECStation 5000/133
(2) DECstation 5000/120's
a box (case of paper sized) absolutely FULL of DEC cables

and I *KNOW* I had that cable, as I found a description: DB15 on one end, and a box at the other, with the R,G,B BNC connectors, and a jack for the keyboard.

I even had the special SCSI cable for Microvaxen!

I had (2) ea DECStation 5000/200 and /240, and (2) /260 all of which I sold.
the /260 went for like $300 about 5-6 years ago on eBay. Those are kind of rare, and it was LOADED with RAM!

I had Ultrix on all of them, and still have a copy of the media somewhere...

Only DECitem I have left, other than the RB, is an AT case, and an AXPpci motherboard, set up with OpenVMS/Alpha, 128MB RAM, proper video card for DECWindows, and proper DEC ISA card for networking.

Here's a pic the seller took:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/Sharkonwheels/DEC%20Rainbow%20100B/Im000019.jpg

There's more in that album. Haven;t received the binders yet, but they are enroute. I figure, for free+shipping (about $100 or so) it was well worth it, considering the docs+software!

T

Sharkonwheels
February 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Ahh, that's my pride and joy. I have a similar RB 100+. What your looking for is a DEC VR241.
Don't know if anything else will work with it. Also the cable has the DEC DB15 connector like on a Mac. There's quite a bit of software available for it, both CP/M and DOS, and numerous other OS I can't remember. (CCP/M (Concurrent), CP/M86, CP/M+, ?)

The Rainbow unofficial home page is still available but the owner hasn't posted all the stuff he has available on CD he got from the owner of a RB BBS. I think he needs encouragement. He has occasionally done displays of some of his hacks with the RB at the VC Festival.

http://www.classiccmp.org/rainbow/

The Finnish DEC archive has a multitude of stuff(can't find the URL) and there's a couple of programs allowing you to transfer files. It will also allow you to format disks for other DEC products like the DEC Pro which you used to have to buy from DEC.

It's lovely in color and well worth the effort to find a color monitor for it since you have the somewhat rare card. A great machine, but DEC entered the home market too late and too timidly.

Lawrence

Oh, hey, do you have one of the memory cards with sockets? the one that goes to 768kb on the card? Can you provide me the part number? All I can find in the docs is the ordering number, like PC1XX-AC, and stuff like that.

Mine has the 192kb, non-socketed card.

Also, any idea where to get the CPU adapter cable for the 8087 card? I found the 8087 cards, but it needs the cable going from the systemboard 8088 socket, to the board.

T

Micom 2000
February 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'll have to open it up (easy-with the "bow") and reacquaint myself with it's innards. ISTR in looking at the memory card that they were quite common chips. Never did expand it I think.
Or else some catch 22. I also have a VR201 hooked into my DEC Pro with the funny little extensible pole and a DEC printer. I do have some extra DEC external cables IIRC but no other internal ones. I would think they would be computer standard. Altho little of DEC wasn't proprietary.

I would suggest contacting the owner of the Rainbow site who still dabbles with it and must occasionally run across stuff in his displays of what he has done with the RB. I do have his email address in all of my mess but can't recall his name (early Altheimers ?) even tho I helped arrange and encourage him to put the site up again, but I believe his address on the site is still valid. If not I'm sure the host of classiccmp would put you in touch with him.
There's also a regular on classiccmp, Mark Hatfield (?) who is very much an enthusiast of the Rainbow, and a really nice guy from San Antonio, the Chile capital of North America.

Once I open up my "bow" I'll give you what info I can.

Lawrence

MikeS
February 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'll have to open it up (easy-with the "bow") and reacquaint myself with it's innards. ISTR in looking at the memory card that they were quite common chips. Never did expand it I think.
Or else some catch 22. I also have a VR201 hooked into my DEC Pro with the funny little extensible pole and a DEC printer. I do have some extra DEC external cables IIRC but no other internal ones. I would think they would be computer standard. Altho little of DEC wasn't proprietary.

I would suggest contacting the owner of the Rainbow site who still dabbles with it and must occasionally run across stuff in his displays of what he has done with the RB. I do have his email address in all of my mess but can't recall his name (early Altheimers ?) even tho I helped arrange and encourage him to put the site up again, but I believe his address on the site is still valid. If not I'm sure the host of classiccmp would put you in touch with him.
There's also a regular on classiccmp, Mark Hatfield (?) who is very much an enthusiast of the Rainbow, and a really nice guy from San Antonio, the Chile capital of North America.

Once I open up my "bow" I'll give you what info I can.

Lawrence
-----
Any of you guys want an LJ500 printer before I put it by the curb?

mike

Sharkonwheels
February 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Fairly easy to open...
The 2 levers flip forward and out, lift the top off...
Unplug the power cable from the mainboard...
remove HD cable if'n ya got it...
Remove the floppy cable from the RX50 controller...
4 thumbwheels to turn...
tray with mainboard slides out...
memboard is second from rear, if ya have the HD controller, or something else in the very back...

Been writing a bunch of disks on the Teac FD55GFR I rigged with a 300rpm switch... easy as pie! Installed RAINDOS.SYS from Sydex, and it creates a drive D:, which talks to the 1.2 B: drive as SS/DD 80T 400kb 'bow format....

Nice!

T

Micom 2000
February 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
-----
Any of you guys want an LJ500 printer before I put it by the curb?

mike

Mike how can you be so cruel and callous. A Commodore, Atari. or DOS printer can be put on the curb, no blame, but never a DEC. I have a LA50 and don't need it but there must be many DEC-centric people that thirst for it. This forum is of course short on DECCERS but their must be a DEC venue where it would be snapped up. The gods of classiccmp will punish you for this transgression.

Lawrence.

Micom 2000
February 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yep. The Rainbow was a model of easy accessability. I have a binder for a DECMate. It doesn't have the OS, only the Wordprocessing program. It does have a disk showing the features and how to set it up. It must have been the same one included with the Rainbow.
Except for the processors and OS. It ran perfectly on my Rainbow. If you don't receive it with your "stuff-to-come" I'll send it to you. Reminded me of the promo I have for the IBM PS/2 8580. The graphics are amazingly good for the time.

I know I sent it to Mark Hatfield and had never had used IIRC an imageing program at that time, I've forgotten too much.
I don't think I used Teledisk(or whatever). Possibly I sent a copy by snail-mail.

Lawrence

MikeS
February 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Mike how can you be so cruel and callous. A Commodore, Atari. or DOS printer can be put on the curb, no blame, but never a DEC. I have a LA50 and don't need it but there must be many DEC-centric people that thirst for it. This forum is of course short on DECCERS but their must be a DEC venue where it would be snapped up. The gods of classiccmp will punish you for this transgression.

Lawrence.
--------
Well, I also have several LA-100s heading for the same spot at the end of my driveway; I've offered them a couple of times on CCtalk (A DEC venue if ever there was one) and no takers, although there was some interest in the service manual.

I think I used the LJ500 twice after I bought it new; probably fatally clogged and dried up by now anyway. Weren't they actually made by Olivetti?

Maybe I should keep them for that day when everyone realizes that they've just been collecting boxes, and printers become *RaRE!!* and worth big $$$s; my executors would be pleased...

You didn't mention Radio Shack; can I put that DMPmumble out?

BTW, I used to have some Rainbow memory cards but I think they got tossed long ago; If I do run across them by some chance I'll let you guys know.

mike

Sharkonwheels
February 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I've tried to subscribe to CCTalk like 3-4 times - never got a response at ALL.
Wonder what the heck is/was going on...

I got a buddy in GA who has some DEC stuff available, listed in:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=10004

Can you pass that along to CCList for me?

T

MikeS
February 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've tried to subscribe to CCTalk like 3-4 times - never got a response at ALL.
Wonder what the heck is/was going on...

I got a buddy in GA who has some DEC stuff available, listed in:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=10004

Can you pass that along to CCList for me?

T

Done.

m

Druid6900
February 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM
--------
my executors would be pleased...

mike

Well, since I've been taken off your beneficery list just because you are in PPR denial, who cares? :P

MikeS
February 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Well, since I've been taken off your beneficery list just because you are in PPR denial, who cares? :P
----------------
In denial? I deny that!

But OHIP (our Medicare, sort of) doesn't cover the required ECT, long-term psychoanalysis or lobotomy, so what's a PPR sufferer to do...

Ok, you're back on the list.

m

Druid6900
February 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
----------------

But OHIP (our Medicare, sort of) doesn't cover the required ECT
m

When we used to do ECT on people (usually to get information they had that we wanted) we used to make it a fun experience by getting them to hold lightbulbs :)

Micom 2000
March 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
OK this is beyond the call of duty but anything for the general glorification of the Rainbow.
I'd forgotten how to disassemble it. The 2 slides on each side removed the cover. Great ! The CPSU, hard drive and FDDs covered the mother-board. Then some of my memory kicked in. It was an easily dissassembled DEC. Right ? The 4 little wheels on the back dissassembled the MB and cards from the body, except one of the wheels had disintegrated. No problem.
Oh yes one also has to detach the cables from it. Voila, one 2 sided motherboard all with the soldered side external to you including the plug-in cards slid out from the back. Ok found the memory card.

Its labelled PC100B Memory Extension. "Made in Hong Kong" 5015960-01-C1. The same is on the other side which is labelled "Side 2". On the front is another #5415961. It has 27 16-pin sockets of which 9 are populated by 256k chips labelled Japan3L 1MRAO HM50256-15 .It also has 4 miniswitches all of which are in the "ON" position. There's also a stamped #351A1
on the bottom not made I doubt by the manufacturer. I don't recognise the Japanese logo on the chips which is like a segmated wheel with a dot in the middle.

I have a ream of 16pin memory chips including 256k ones most likely 10 rather than 15ms speed. 9 chips says 1 chip for verification like in IBMs. My own memory loss keeps kicking in. (early altheimers ?) How many 256k chips would it take to give the "Gates adequate" 640 k for memory ? Obviously not 3. Or was that on each of the 8-bit lines. What actual memory do I have now in my "Bow ? I haven't looked at the motherboard to see what's there. Obviously there must be a full complement to handle DOS or CPM needs,

What nags my memory is that there was some "gotch-a" which stopped me from populating this card since I'm very big on extending each of my computer's capabilities.

Lawrence

Oh, hey, do you have one of the memory cards with sockets? the one that goes to 768kb on the card? Can you provide me the part number? All I can find in the docs is the ordering number, like PC1XX-AC, and stuff like that.

Mine has the 192kb, non-socketed card.

Also, any idea where to get the CPU adapter cable for the 8087 card? I found the 8087 cards, but it needs the cable going from the systemboard 8088 socket, to the board.

T

Sharkonwheels
March 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I believe there's 128kb on the mainboard, and you can add up to 768kb on the expansion board, so that would total 896kb for the machine.

and it WILL actually use it! You can always hit F3, and see the config, including how much memory it see.

Um - would it be too much to ask to get you to snap a pic of it? I got a guy hunting one down for me ;)

T

Micom 2000
March 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
No problem since it's already exposed, but just found my camera's batteries depleted. They're charging as I write. Want a pic of the other cards and MB while the 'Bow is open ? Would that memory be with all the empty sockets populated ?
That "gotcha" keeps nagging at my mind. Perhaps I have something in my RB archives or maybe I just didn't have any free 256k chips at the time. I do seem to remember something about all the memory being useable. DEC WAS kewl.

Just a promotional insert::: >>>

I wan't to get rid of all my CP/M boxes,(not the RB}. except for a Commodore 128DLC, and all my Commodore stuff must go except an Amiga 3000 I got from Jim Butterworth. All my Apples except for a special Apple+ and a GS, a Mac 512 with a HD card, maybe a IIci and a Power Mac AV, an Atari Mega 4. An IBM PCjr. a PC with an Inboard 386, likely a couple of PS/2s (definitely one of my 8580s) maybe one of the later PS/2s. All other stuff is up for grabs, I really must start to get rid of all this stuff including all the parts, MBs, and keyboards. If I bite the bullet most of it will go to landfill and also cause my executor a lot of problems. While I don't have the quantities of Terry's "computer hell" I do have a bunch of stuff I don't need and it is beginning to bother me. As the exceptions imply I have a lot of stuff. DEC. Atari, Commodore, Kaypro, H/Z89, Adam,TRS, Macs, IBM, as well as TTL monitors, MFM HDs, FDDs, MBs, Dos and others. PM me for what you want <<<<<

Sorry Shark it just blew over me. Got to get rid of all this crap before I die.

Pics soon come.
Lawrence

Sharkonwheels
March 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Naaa...unless ya got something I don't...
Do you have the graphics option? There's a cat on eBay selling the boards for like $40-50

Right now, I'm up to my ears trying to get the Altos ACS8000 drives (8" SS/DD Shugart SA801's) working on
my PC with the CompatiCard IV setup... it is driving me INSANE! 2 days on this shiznit already!

T

Micom 2000
March 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Naaa...unless ya got something I don't...
Do you have the graphics option? There's a cat on eBay selling the boards for like $40-50

Right now, I'm up to my ears trying to get the Altos ACS8000 drives (8" SS/DD Shugart SA801's) working on
my PC with the CompatiCard IV setup... it is driving me INSANE! 2 days on this shiznit already!

T

That was aimed at all the rest of the forum, rather than placing it in the Market slot.
Just a spur of the moment thing.

But here's the pics. The memory card is the first one

Lawrence

MikeS
March 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
<snip>
all my Commodore stuff must go except an Amiga 3000 I got from Jim Butterworth.
<snip>
Lawrence
---
LC wanting to take over NY instead of Manhattan wasn't too bad, but now I *am* getting worried 'boutcha Lawrence, and your Alzheimer's...
;-)
m

Sharkonwheels
March 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Cool, thanks!
I see ya got the Color/Graphics option...
No HDD controller?

Oh - the sockets can hold 64K chips, or 257kb chips - maxed out, on a 100B mainboard, is 896kb I think.
The switch block - I think off=empty or 4164, on=41256 (or equivalents - 64kb x 1, 256kb x 1 chips)

T

Micom 2000
March 2nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah I have the HD controller and a 20meg Seagate(?) with a DOS and CP/M partition. I'll fire it up, take a pic and show you how the color monitor looks. I also have the Byte mags from when it was into'd. One of the articles suggested a color monitor should be magnitory on the Rainbow. Thanks for the mem-card specs. I'll have to fearlessly fill those empty memory sockets.

Lawrence

Micom 2000
March 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
---
LC wanting to take over NY instead of Manhattan wasn't too bad, but now I *am* getting worried 'boutcha Lawrence, and your Alzheimer's...
;-)
m

Never mind Mike, I suspect your getting into those "Golden Years" too and the constant worry about about, "Oh christ, am I losing it" at every little failure of our massively filled memory banks. Manhattan/New York, piffle. My wife was from the Bronx and I never was very good at remembering lyrics. :^) Butterfield, Butterworth, I was never very good at names either.

Jim was a neighbor of mine and when he learned I was a collector gave me the Amiga which he has passed onto his daughter, warning me that she had filled it with games. Aparently there is also a very special proto-type video card on it.

Lawrence

MikeS
March 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Never mind Mike, I suspect your getting into those "Golden Years" too and the constant worry about about, "Oh christ, am I losing it" at every little failure of our massively filled memory banks. Manhattan/New York, piffle. My wife was from the Bronx and I never was very good at remembering lyrics. :^) Butterfield, Butterworth, I was never very good at names either.
<snip>
Lawrence
---
They do say that names are the first to go, and my experience certainly confirms that. But I stopped worrying about it long ago, and there are advantages; for instance, I can watch a movie I've seen before and it's a brand new experience - saves a fortune on rental fees!

OK, enough OT (as in Old-Timer, as well as Off-Topic) rambling (for now).

m

Terry Yager
March 2nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
My friend TimeRelease Bill says the memory is the second thing to go, but he can never recall what the first thing was...

--T

Sharkonwheels
March 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Lawrence

Got the small box today, big box yesterday - haven;t opened the big box yet...dealing with FedEx on an insurance claim, because they obliterated the poor 'bow...

the small box has the CP/M-80/86, and also a database package named "Condor 3", in digital packaging, with the inside stuff still shrinkwrapped (all manuals).

The CP/M-86/80 is 3 disks:
CP/M-86/80 V2.0 BIN RX50
CP/M-86/80 V2.1 VIN RX50
GSX-86 V1.0 BIN RX50

EDIT:
also came with:
MS-DOS 2.05 (out there already - DEC package)
CT*OS (CompuTone Office System I think - OEM package)
WordStar (DEC package)
Fortran F-77 (DEC package)
TK*Solver (OEM Package)
Microsoft MBasic-86 (DEC package)

T

PrintStar
March 12th, 2008, 08:19 AM

The above quote would be referring to me. I am the maintainer of the Rainbow home page, but I haven't updated it in years. Quite frankly I wasn't happy with the design. I've been meaning to build a new site at rainbow-100.com, but I haven't gotten around to it. I do have a considerable archive that the previous owner of the Glacier Peak Rainbow BBS provided me, but I haven't gotten around to making it available either. Ideally everything would be indexed and searchable...

I do still have my 100B set up. I've been messing around with graphics programming on it, but other things always seem to get in the way.

-Jeff

Sharkonwheels
March 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I've been messing around with graphics programming on it, but other things always seem to get in the way.

-Jeff

AMEN!

T

jiffy
April 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM

The Swedish archive can be found here:

ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/rainbow/

/Tomas

Micom 2000
April 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Jeff. Glad to see you're still active. Your original site was a lifeline to me in getting my original Rainbow functioning. I had forgotten about these postings until a new message reminded me. While I can sympathise with your problems with the design of the page, I would really like to see the rest of the Glacier Peak Rainbow BBS CDs. Artistic considerations are trumped by historical archival considerations. Should you have an accident, they're gone no matter how good your site might look with them when updated. Also some of your remarkable Hacks which you did at the Vintage Computer Festival.

I've been pretty slack myself so I have no basis to critisize but I would love to see those Clacier Peak BBS cds.

Lawrence

The above quote would be referring to me. I am the maintainer of the Rainbow home page, but I haven't updated it in years. Quite frankly I wasn't happy with the design. I've been meaning to build a new site at rainbow-100.com, but I haven't gotten around to it. I do have a considerable archive that the previous owner of the Glacier Peak Rainbow BBS provided me, but I haven't gotten around to making it available either. Ideally everything would be indexed and searchable...

I do still have my 100B set up. I've been messing around with graphics programming on it, but other things always seem to get in the way.

-Jeff

Sharkonwheels
April 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
... Should you have an accident, they're gone no matter how good your site might look with them when updated...
Lawrence

:gape:

Dude...

T

Micom 2000
April 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
If that was meant as a criticism, you have no censure here.
I go back with Jeff some years and he knows where I'm coming from.
Who are you, "Jaws" ? Some guy from Florida ? I don't know you !

Now you can call me "man" or maybe even Stan
You can call "Bo" and perhaps call me "Bro"
You can call me "Dick" when what you mean is "-rick"
you can call me "Joe" when what you meant was "Mo"

But not neccessarily meaning to be rude,
DO NOT CALL ME "DUDE"

L.

Sharkonwheels
April 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Dude....lighten up...

It was all in jest.

:rolleyes:

T

PrintStar
April 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Artistic considerations are trumped by historical archival considerations. Should you have an accident, they're gone no matter how good your site might look with them when updated. Also some of your remarkable Hacks which you did at the Vintage Computer Festival.

I've been pretty slack myself so I have no basis to critisize but I would love to see those Clacier Peak BBS cds.

Lawrence

Its not actually artistic considerations. I'm actually more concerned with site security and usability. I really don't want to make them available via ftp simply due to paranoia associated with public ftp servers. Instead I was planning on a simple database so that the files could be searchable and indexed. I really only want a simple solution, it just comes down to doing it. I'll try to start on it sometime soon.

And you're right about losing the files if I suddenly disappear (or more likely lose interest). A good example is the Latrobe Rainbow archive. That ftp site (years ago) had an interesting assortment of Rainbow software, including Windows 1.03. Then one day it simply went offline without any sort of warning forever. I know that the Update archive has a mirror of the Latrobe files, but it was a single, dated snapshot that was out of sync with the Latrobe archive just before it went offline. So there may be some stuff lost forever.

jiffy
April 23rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
What chips are used on DEC's controller (PC1XX-DA)?

Is it a custom design or interface to an existing controller like the WD1002-HDO?

/Tomas

Micom 2000
April 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I was thinking of the vast irreplaceable collection of Don Maslin which after his death, his estate refused to have anything to do with releasing it. Fortunately Tim Olmsteads "The Unofficial C/PM site" was mirrored by Gaby before Tims passing. Both great guys and sorely missed. I sent all my Micom stuff to a computer museum at York University in Toronto and while they haven't put any of it up on-site yet it at least it's there for posterity.

It would be great also if you felt inclined to put up the Rainbow hacks you presented at the Vintage Computer Festival. Easy for me to say ! :^))

Lawrence

And you're right about losing the files if I suddenly disappear (or more likely lose interest). A good example is the Latrobe Rainbow archive. That ftp site (years ago) had an interesting assortment of Rainbow software, including Windows 1.03. Then one day it simply went offline without any sort of warning forever. I know that the Update archive has a mirror of the Latrobe files, but it was a single, dated snapshot that was out of sync with the Latrobe archive just before it went offline. So there may be some stuff lost forever.

Sharkonwheels
April 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hmmm...I had to think about this one before responding...

I never actually had the pleasure, or the honor, of speaking/emailing with Tim Olmstead, but from the history I have seen, and read, I owe him a great deal, as do all CP/M lovers. From what I gather, he had to go through quite an ordeal to get CP/M released, as it went through countless owners and companies. If not for him, alot of neat stuff would not have come to pass the past few years, like Udo Monk's ready-to-run emulations, Peter Schorn's stuff, and the list goes on...

As to Don, I think I did communicate with him way back when, and yes, the loss of his archive was a blow that we still feel to this day, and will continue to feel for years to come. He was an unselfish man, who was always willing to help, and the online archives reflect that.

The contributions of both these gentlemen will never be forgotten.

T

Sharkonwheels
June 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Anyone know if the Rainbow uses different cables for the color and mono monitors? Or will the same cable suffice? I currently have the 12" mono monitor and cable.

T

PrintStar
June 9th, 2008, 08:24 AM
If you're connecting the Rainbow to a VR241 (color monitor), you'll need a very different cable. I don't know the part number, but one end has the 15 pin connector like the mono cable, but the other has a weird nub with a keyboard connector and three wires (r,g,b) with BNC connections on the end.

And I believe this cable is also different from the Pro3x0 version as well.

Micom 2000
June 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The part # is DEC BCC17. And the cable is as you describe. The VR241 has 2 banks of 3 RGB bnc connectors, a 2 position switch above them labled 75ohm and "high" , and above that
2 Sync bnc's and another 2-position swith labelled Int and Ext. Makes me wonder what else the VR241s could be used with.

Lawrence