PDA

View Full Version : laser 128 expansion port

Sharkonwheels
March 2nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Can a board be plugged directly in?
If so, which way? It is on the side, horizontal, and unmarked.
If a Sequential RAMFast works in II's other than the GS, I just want to test the last unit I have. I found a laser 128 stashed in a box....

T

Terry Yager
March 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Yes, it's a straight, natural A][ expansion slot. Be careful to insert it right-side-up. Just picture an Apple slot turned 90 degrees clockwise. Don't take my word for it tho, YMMV!)...

--T

david__schmidt
March 3rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
If a Sequential RAMFast works in II's other than the GS, I just want to test the last unit I have. I found a laser 128 stashed in a box....
There's a switch on the bottom of the Laser (behind the ROM door) that decides if your expansion slot is mapped to slot 5 or slot 7.

Here's the manual for it:
http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/laser128.pdf

Sharkonwheels
March 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Not like it matters - plugged the 128 in, and I got a bunch of garbage out of the RCA jack - it IS composite vide, right?

T

Yzzerdd
March 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't know if it is the same for the Laser 128, but on my Apple IIc, you have to plug in an apple monitor or compatable on the RCA jack. For TV, the IIc cam with an adapter. You plugged in the adapter on the 2 row monitor port(15 pin?) then an RCA cable from it. From there, you could plug directly into the RCA on a TV/VCR, or plug into an adapter and use the older type connection with the two screws that you would screw the end of a wire beneath. If you plugged the RCA cord into the RCA jack on the unit and then directly into a TV, IIRC, it looked garbled or mis-colored, as that jack is designed for a higher resolution. It sounds messed up, but trust me it is true, or so my manual said, as I belive. But then again, you could plug a standard RCA device like a DVD player to an Apple monitor and it will work. I'll double check the manual later.

--Ryan

Sharkonwheels
March 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Actually, I plugged from the RCA jack on the back of the Laser128, to an Apple MonitorIIc. I know the monitor is good, as it works with a IIc, and the Osborne external video (O1 and O2)

T

barythrin
March 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
The weird color issues Ryan is referring to is because it's not RCA, it's composite so you need a converter to get the color thing to convert correctly to a straight in RCA jack if you aren't using the antenna jack on your TV or VCR to conver the signal. You can still see the characters but they'll have a blue haze or a multicolor look to them instead of looking white/gray like they should.

However you're (Tony) getting a clean ascii dump on the screen? I mean you can see the letters? Does it spit out garbage without the expansion board plugged in? I mean, there are a few things that will cause that particular issue specifically (ram being one of them) although any variety of electrical shorts could also cause a similar issue.

- John

david__schmidt
March 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I got a bunch of garbage out of the RCA jack - it IS composite vide, right?
Yes, it is. Standard, composite video. Your Monitor IIc, as well as any other monitor with composite "Video in," will show a good picture if the computer's still alive.

Sharkonwheels
March 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
It's strange.
It's liek the video was pulled left and right, and stretched.

lemme try to get a pic...

Gimme a few minutes...

John, BTW, this is just straight 128 - no card attached. Just the laser 128, power cord, phoenix gold RCA cable (!!!) to the Monitor IIc.

OK here:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/Sharkonwheels/Laser%20128/IMG_1093.jpg

and here:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/Sharkonwheels/Laser%20128/IMG_1092.jpg

T

Druid6900
March 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
That looks a lot like horizontal tearing or loss of horizonal sync.

You probably can't lock it in with the monitor's horizontal hold control, but, there might be a couple of pots inside the computer that will trim it to individual monitors.

I get a lot of TRS-80 Model Is in with that problem and it's one of two cmos chips every time.