PDA

View Full Version : Borderline BBS - DIAL-UP!!!

wiskow
March 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Due to some recent interest in having a Commodore-run dial-up BBS for people to call, I've decided to put up Borderline BBS, running on Color 64 v7.37!

This BBS operates 24 hours a day, starting NOW! It operates at 300/1200/2400 baud, and features 40/80 column operation, ASCII/ANSI/PETSCII support, message bases, file transfers, and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!).

So dust off your old Commodore modems and give Borderline BBS a call at (951)242-3593. For international callers, the country code is 1. :)

Oh... And before anyone asks... Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II *are* still online, accessable via Telnet. So yeah, I'm running 3 BBS's simultaneously now on *real* Commodore hardware... *Someday* I'll sleep. ;)

-Andrew

Cottonwood BBS
cottonwood.servebbs.com:23

Cottonwood II
cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400

Borderline BBS
(951)242-3593

wiskow
March 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I came up with a PETSCII art ad for Borderline BBS, designed using Kaleidoscope (http://www.ahearttowitness.com/kscope) on my C64. This is actually an edited version of the last "frame" of the animated intro graphic that you'll see if you call... Anyway, here's the ad for your viewing pleasure: ;)

http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs/bl_ad.jpg

DoctorPepper
March 9th, 2008, 06:11 AM
wiskow, this is nice!

Now I'm going to have to start trolling eBay for a C=64!

wiskow
March 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Dr Pepper, that sounds like a plan! ;)

I'd be careful of what Commodore computers you buy on eBay, though... If you want one for a reasonable price that's guaranteed to work, I'd recommend getting one from http://www.vintagecomputer.com/ ... I've bought stuff from that guy in the past, and I've never had a problem with him. He'll sell you a C64 with power supply for $29.95 plus $20 S/H.

-Andrew

DoctorPepper
March 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

wiskow
September 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
I just wanted to post a quick reminder to everyone that Borderline BBS is still up and running 24/7. It's still the only Commodore-run dial-up BBS anywhere. So dust off your old modems and check it out! Blazing along at speeds up to 2400 baud! ;)

billdeg
September 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I am going to call tomorrow at work. My work PC is a Commodore 64.

Just kidding...but I do have one set up and ready to go.

Bill

steveuk
September 4th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Dr Pepper, that sounds like a plan! ;)

I'd be careful of what Commodore computers you buy on eBay, though... If you want one for a reasonable price that's guaranteed to work, I'd recommend getting one from http://www.vintagecomputer.com/ ... I've bought stuff from that guy in the past, and I've never had a problem with him. He'll sell you a C64 with power supply for $29.95 plus $20 S/H.

-Andrew

Wow i like the Drive setup
http://cottonwood.servebbs.com/cottonwoodbbs8.jpg
i had a cool one at one time, not as many but i did have a CMD-HD40 with an external Scsi connected giving me 80-meg of Drive space...:D

I still got my CMD HD 40, just replaced the Boot chip that went down with a new 2.8 version. which im going to stick on ebay soon, only 1 problem, i cant seem to format the drive,keep getting Drive write Error 5, then Error light flickers. Any idears) the drive is spinning, but could be faulty, the CMD HD40 come with original Folder Manual and Disks & even a Spare NEW 2.8 Boot Eprom as i had 2 made up, the old 2.7 can be added to, but i think is faulty. If intrested send me a PM on a Offer for the HD40.??

With this i think you could hold a whole load of Commodore Data,Games, Demos, ect. if ya can get it fully working with a new hard drive, i just dont have time to sort it now.

Steve

Maclectic
September 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Is this borderline BBS the same as the one running in Portland, OR., in the early 90's? If so, I'll have to pick up my jaw off the floor...

BBS ENTERPRISE..
JUST FOR FUN BBS...

etc?

wiskow
September 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Is this borderline BBS the same as the one running in Portland, OR., in the early 90's? If so, I'll have to pick up my jaw off the floor...

BBS ENTERPRISE..
JUST FOR FUN BBS...

etc?

Wow, I'm glad someone caught that... ;)

It's not the exact same BBS... I wasn't the SysOp of Borderline, but Borderline was one of my favorite BBS's in Portland, which is where I grew up, in the late 80's. They were running Color 64 software, and that's what I'm running now, and I had their cool animated intro graphic saved one one of my disks, so I sort of resurrected it.

I ran Cottonwood BBS for a couple years in Portland, and I've brought that BBS back to life, too. But it's running on All American BBS and is accessable via Telnet. Borderline is accessable the "old fashioned way". :)

And by the way, I was a member of Enterprise BBS, too. Ken Nakatsu, the SysOp, was a good friend of mine. I don't remember Just for Fun BBS though.

DoctorPepper
September 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well, I've acquired the C-64 & 1571 disk drive, and a modem (thanks wiskow!), now I just need to make the time to set it all up and start playing around some.

wiskow
September 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Well, I've acquired the C-64 & 1571 disk drive, and a modem (thanks wiskow!)

You're welcome. If anyone else needs a Commodore modem, let me know... I still have a few and will send them out for the cost of shipping only.

Maclectic
September 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Wow, I'm glad someone caught that... ;)

It's not the exact same BBS... I wasn't the SysOp of Borderline, but Borderline was one of my favorite BBS's in Portland, which is where I grew up, in the late 80's. They were running Color 64 software, and that's what I'm running now, and I had their cool animated intro graphic saved one one of my disks, so I sort of resurrected it.

I ran Cottonwood BBS for a couple years in Portland, and I've brought that BBS back to life, too. But it's running on All American BBS and is accessable via Telnet. Borderline is accessable the "old fashioned way". :)

And by the way, I was a member of Enterprise BBS, too. Ken Nakatsu, the SysOp, was a good friend of mine. I don't remember Just for Fun BBS though.

Did you attent any of the Commodore pizza parties? I frequented the Enterprise BBS 1990 or so.
(Nightprowler)

wiskow
September 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Did you attent any of the Commodore pizza parties? I frequented the Enterprise BBS 1990 or so.
(Nightprowler)

I sure did... And I attended a couple of the BUG meetings, too (Beaverton User Group). :)

Maclectic
September 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Actually, I was briefly a level 9 sysop at the original borderline bbs. But not because I was supposed to be. Myself and a friend figured out how to give ourselves remote promotions to level 9. When the owner discovered it (I forget his name), I don't think he was too happy about it, but I don't remember him demoting us either.

Maclectic
September 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!

Actually, I'd have to say that my favorite Color 64 "online" game was NUKE'EM, if you had that online it might provide enough impetus for nostalgias sake for me to obtain an actual phone line, which is the only thing I'm lacking to enter "atdt ****" into my C-64 that i'VE still got from the 1990 portland, OR days... I've also got a disk of GFX from the portalnd buletin boards from that day...

wiskow
September 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Actually, I'd have to say that my favorite Color 64 "online" game was NUKE'EM, if you had that online it might provide enough impetus for nostalgias sake for me to obtain an actual phone line, which is the only thing I'm lacking to enter "atdt ****" into my C-64 that i'VE still got from the 1990 portland, OR days... I've also got a disk of GFX from the portalnd buletin boards from that day...

Unfortunately, the three games I have installed are the only games that I was able to find for Color 64. It's especially unfortunate because I remember that there were HUNDREDS of mods written for Color 64 back in the late 80's, and I was only able to find a handful of them. If you, or anyone else, know of anyone who has a collection of Color 64 mods, I'd be VERY interested in getting a copy of them. All of the old Color 64 SysOps that I knew have moved on and gotten rid of all their old Commodore disks. :(

I did have Nuke'em up and running on Cottonwood BBS (the Telnet one) when I was running the 128 version of AA BBS; however, the Nuke'em and Empire City games in that version were buggy, and ultimately forced me to "downgrade" to the 64 version. The 64 version has been running without a single glitch since I made the switch, so I've decided to stick with it.

wiskow
September 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
BTW, it's probably worth mentioning that there are people who have reported success at connecting to Borderline BBS using both VoIP lines, as well as a modem connection via cell phone, so you don't necessarily HAVE to have a "real" phone line to call.

twilitezoner
September 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
You're welcome. If anyone else needs a Commodore modem, let me know... I still have a few and will send them out for the cost of shipping only.

Do you have any of those modems left?

Thanks

wiskow
September 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Do you have any of those modems left?

Thanks

All I have left are a couple 300 baud VICMODEMs. If you want one, it's yours. :)

Robert Didd
October 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I cannot post a new thread but posted on here. Any ideas. Why?

wiskow
October 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I cannot post a new thread but posted on here. Any ideas. Why?

I'm not sure, Robert, but perhaps the forum here is set up so that you have to make a certain number of posts before you can start your own threads... Just a guess...

What happens when you click on the "New Thread" button?

Robert Didd
October 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
When I click onto New Thread this in bold is the error message.

I am logged in so can only guess I do not have permission. Thought someone might just know.

It is only really out of desperation that I have looked on the web as I think I have now brought three commodore 64 disk drives to replace my one that went wrong. All I want to do is get some information I had on a floppy Disk and after buying the last one and it did not work, did not want to go out and buy a 5th one.

If I put power to the disk drive the green and red light comes on as if it is in the process of loading a game and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Any ideas?

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

mbbrutman
October 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Robert,

I think this is a moderation problem. We've been having spam problems lately, and you are a new user. You should be able to create your own threads - Please log out using the 'Log Out' link at the top right corner of the page, delete cookies, and try again.

wiskow
January 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I just wanted to post a quick reminder that Borderline BBS is still alive and well. It continues to be the ONLY Commodore-run dial-up BBS *anywhere* and is running 24/7 on a real Commodore 64 breadbox computer with Color 64 v7.37 software.

Borderline BBS operates at 300/1200/2400 baud, and features 40/80 column operation, ASCII/PETSCII support, message bases, file transfers, and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!).
So dust off your old modems and give Borderline BBS a call at (951) 242-3593. For international callers, the country code is 1. :)

JDT
January 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I just wanted to post a quick reminder that Borderline BBS is still alive and well. It continues to be the ONLY Commodore-run dial-up BBS *anywhere* and is running 24/7 on a real Commodore 64 breadbox computer with Color 64 v7.37 software.

Borderline BBS operates at 300/1200/2400 baud, and features 40/80 column operation, ASCII/PETSCII support, message bases, file transfers, and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!).
So dust off your old modems and give Borderline BBS a call at (951) 242-3593. For international callers, the country code is 1. :)

Dude, if I ever manage to find a cheap 64/128 and a modem.. i am so calling. Some of my earliest fond computer memories were dialing in to my local BBS @ 2400 baud on my IBM 5150.

chuckcmagee
January 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well, my AJ acoustic coupler doesn't want to work in acoustic mode. It does have a direct connect mode, which does work. So, with my 300 baud modem and my Lear ADM 3A, I was able to call up the BBS and got it to work.

Like when I first started doing BBSes around 1980. I would make these 5 hour phone calls on late Saturday across the country. The long distance calls suddenly got much rarer after my $340 phone bill arrived.

I also tried a TI Silent 700 with built-in acoustic coupler. Doesn't want to receive properly. I tried all kinds of combinations, giving up after numerous tries. Too bad too. I purchased some thermal paper and got the printer working. Works perfect on local mode so something up with the acoustic circuits.

wiskow
January 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I prefer to use those pre-paid phone cards for all my long distance BBS calling. That way, it's already paid for, and there won't be any surprises on my phone bill. I don't think those were available in the 80s though...

wiskow
March 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm happy to announce that Borderline BBS is now running on a CMD hard drive instead of the 1581 and seven 1571s that it's been running on for some time now. This means that the file transfer section is vastly bigger now, with plenty of room for additional files to be added. It also means that I'll probably be saving a bit on my electricity bill. ;)

Check out the "new and improved" Borderline BBS by calling +1(951)242-3593. For more information, visit the Cottonwood/Borderline website (the URL is in my signature, below).

One Man Band
March 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure how useful they are, but I still have a couple of modems to give away: Vic-20Modem and a Sharedata 300C. Check the For Sale/Trade section for details.

Looks like wiksow's board will put them to good use. :)