PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a 5 1/4 HDD

fred3rd
March 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
A while back thier was a very informative post on Reviving a 5 1/4 HDD. Would some one please post or e-mail me the url of this post. I can't seem to find it. Thank You :confused:

Druid6900
March 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Are you talking about the thread concerning over-coming the "stiction" problem of old, unused hard drives?

MikeS
March 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Are you talking about the thread concerning over-coming the "stiction" problem of old, unused hard drives?
---
Or the one about the rubber bumper turning to goo and holding on to the head carriage?
Oh, that was on another forum...
;-)

m

fred3rd
March 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I remember something about thumping it on a hard surface and using a couple of drops of oil in the bearings, but I don't remember all the specifics.

Druid6900
March 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't thump it on a hard surface. If the heads aren't parked that would probably slam them into the platters.

I contributed to the thread you're talking about and what I do is put a few drops of 3-in-1 down the spin motor spindle with the drive spindle side up and leave it for a few hours.

Then gently move the motor by hand very slowly counter-clockwise about 1/2 a turn.

Power it up and if it spins, let it do so for an hour. If not, give the spindle a little push with a small screwdriver (again, gently) to get it going. After an hour, turn it off and leave it for a couple of days (still spindle side up) and then power it up again to make sure it will spin up on its own.

I've never had this fail.

fred3rd
March 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Druid, Thank you for the information. I'll try that, on about 5 machines I'm sure.:D