PDA

View Full Version : Want to use an IBM PC/XT/AT keyboard with a USB computer

jmccord
May 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will accomplish this? I think they were the best keyboards ever made!
thanks - jim

Erik
May 27th, 2003, 03:04 PM
That's a very pertinent question for me as well. I will ONLY use the IBM PS/2 style keyboard (the IBM Model M clicky type) and have one for each of my machines, even my work machine, plus a few spares in case one of these tanks ever fails.

I have adaptors to step the AT (large D) style connector down to the PS/2 size (small D) and I've got adaptors to plug PS/2 style mice into a USB port but I've never tried it with a keyboard.

Maybe it's time to do that. . .

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to use an AT or later keyboard since the original PC keyboards used a different interface. I don't think a PC would recognixe an AT keyboard and I don't think an AT can use a PC one.

Again, I haven't checked those and unfortunately the bulk of my collection is in storage for the time being.

Erik

mwb
May 31st, 2003, 08:21 AM
I think you might be refering to a "legacy free" system, like gateway and dell and many others are shipping. These computers have no ps2 ports, so mouse and keyboards must be USB. I have used an adapter at the shop to convert usb to ps2 and then an AT to ps2 adapter so I could use my favorite old keyboard whilst repairing the newer style units. A link to the USB converters can be found here:
http://www.usbstuff.com/ps2.html
This along with the AT to ps2 converter worked for me on a gateway with usb only, but YMMV

Classicsat
July 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM
You have to make sure it is an active protocol convertor, not just a simple plug convertor.