PDA

View Full Version : How to test an Apple II keyboard WITHOUT a monitor?

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
A seller is offering a 1977 Apple II (rev 0:wow:, last used in '93). He does not have a TV video input or a monitor to test, but has been helpful. The computer powers ON and beeps; when the Reset key is pressed and released it beeps, implying some basic processor/RAM/ROM tests are OK

However....

... when any key is pressed and he hits Return, there is no (error) beep. Does this necessarily mean the keyboard is dead?:(

Any other way of testing if the keyboard has any rudimentary functionality??
The above problem happens with all keys and random combination of keys.

Any advice would be appreciated

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
As a side note: the seller did the above keyboard test with the computer powered on, but before RESETing the machine.... does he have to RESET the machine in order to perform the keyboard test indicated above?

willowmoon93
March 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well I'm guessing that after the initial pressing of "RESET" it takes you to integer BASIC right away. No disk drives are hooked up, I assume? Anyway, with typing a couple of letters and then hit <RETURN>, I would imagine a "?SYNTAX ERROR" or something would come up (if you could see it) but you should hear a beep. Perhaps the connection to the internal speaker was disabled? Even if he doesn't have a monitor, finding an original Apple II is pretty nice -- if the price is reasonable, I'd probably snag it right away, regardless.

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
when the machine is turned on it beeps
when the RESET key is pressed and released it beeps
...so the speaker is not disabled

...no floppies are connected

...here is the machine in question...$562 with 11 hours togo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200206722122&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Druid6900
March 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Almost makes me want to put my Apple ][+ with drive, softcard and language card on Flea-Bay since I'm selling it on my site for about half what that's going for and I know it all works because i have the Apple technician diagnostics.

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
An Apple II and Apple II+ are completely different animals in terms of collector value... a rough guess is a ratio of at least 10:1 in terms of price, 15:1 if your Apple II is something special (rev 0, original ROMs, original box etc)

willowmoon93
March 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Good point, forgot about the fact that it beeped upon startup which yeah means the speaker is not disabled. Right now it's up to $610 USD. I understand, it is an Apple II, not a II plus or later, and it is a rev. 0 card. But I'd be apprehensive to throw down that kind of money for a computer that I can't even visually see its results on the screen. Guess I don't have that much of a disposable income. I just find it weird that the fact this seller has this rare of a computer that he/she can't find a simple commonplace monitor to test it with. Could probably get a lot more money for it, but the bids keep on coming either way.

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, $610 and this is just clueless me and two other amateurs ...
...wait till the last 30 min when the real big boys come in.
I predict that if tested to be working this could have reached $1,000+
with no testing and with that suspect keyboard, I am not sure...

Many US bidders, particularly collectors have the advantage of having access to people who can diagnose and fix the keyboard problem (assuming there is one). This is not an option for me in the UK where people are clueless about early Apples. Hence I did not increase my bid further.

arukum17
March 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Seller now has a monitor!
The keyboard works but some keys are sticking...see my new thread please.
Any suggestion will be appreciated

Druid6900
March 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
An Apple II and Apple II+ are completely different animals in terms of collector value... a rough guess is a ratio of at least 10:1 in terms of price, 15:1 if your Apple II is something special (rev 0, original ROMs, original box etc)

Ok, if you say so. I guess the guy from Hong Kong that bought the last one I sold on e-bay (no drives, no cards) for 450 bucks wasn't a collector.

willowmoon93
March 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Wow -- it finished at over $900, then factor in shipping, the whole thing probably cost the buyer over $1000 USD. At least the seller was able to test it with someone else's monitor, which made sense.

Wish I had that kind of spare change laying underneath the couch cushions. ;)

barythrin
March 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
That really drives me nuts that these systems I was finding for $5 6 years ago are now out of my price range to re-coupe. I'd pay $120 for an Apple II or II+. IIe I have several, IIc I have several and should probably sell one or two if I have the power supplies (one I just bought for the composite to Mac monitor convertor because it was $3 for the converter or $5 for the IIc with it).

tezza
March 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That really drives me nuts that these systems I was finding for $5 6 years ago are now out of my price range to re-coupe. I'd pay $120 for an Apple II or II+.

Yea, it drove me nuts that I had to pay over $100 for a working, tested ZX-81 when I gave one away at a garage sale 9 years ago for $10.

...and as a seller I thought the fact that someone was willing to pay $10 for that "piece of crap" was a very good deal at the time. :)

Guess you never know what you're going to get interested in in the future.