PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIe SCSI question, size limit?

DreadStorm
March 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
A friend of mine in Alabama still has his Apple IIe, and somehow got a SCSI card for it. I don't know much about it, but he asked me if I had a hard drive he could use with it. I have an old IBM 3.5" full-height (it's over 1" high) 50MB hard drive. Will an Apple IIe's SCSI control it? And will it access it all?

The drive is a standard SCSI sort, nothing proprietary, I've used it in several old machines, and it works fine. I just don't know if there are size limits or anything. Is he in luck or am I still stuck with a heavy old drive? heh

david__schmidt
March 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
A friend of mine in Alabama still has his Apple IIe, and somehow got a SCSI card for it. I don't know much about it, but he asked me if I had a hard drive he could use with it. I have an old IBM 3.5" full-height (it's over 1" high) 50MB hard drive. Will an Apple IIe's SCSI control it? And will it access it all?
ProDOS can access 32 megabytes at a time. So you can partition it into two pieces and see everything. There is a utility disk that originally came with the card - you'll want to find a copy of that (depending on exactly which card he has) to do the partitioning work.

Geo3
March 18th, 2008, 04:52 AM
What kind of SCSI card did he get for the Apple IIe?
But as the other poster said you can formatt it in Prodos 32 meg partitions. You will need a case/power supply to put the HD in. A SCSI cable, and software to formatt and partition it.

DreadStorm
March 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I don't know if he has any software. I hung online all night last night waiting for a response. I already have a powered enclosure & DB25-C50 cable. But at least he'll have a hard drive. Sounds like PC-DOS and ProDOS have a little bit in common?

Anyway, hardware, I got him covered. Software, I'll have to find out. I'll edit this post when I know something.

DreadStorm
March 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Update. He has no software to do anything with hard drives. He's not even certain of the maker of the SCSI card. I wonder. If I partition it on my machine here now, would that take when it's connected to his Apple, letting him format it?

Geo3
March 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I do not think that would help or matter. Now if he turns off the apple and pulls the card out he should be able to tell some thing about it. It may not be a SCSI card.

Maybe it is a super serial card, A sider HD card which is not SCSI but is SASI.

It could be a disk controller card (5.25) which is quite common.

All cards have numbers, and some sort of names on them. Also there are a lot of pictures of these. A google search should should be helpful.

TakeCare

DreadStorm
March 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
He emailed me a little more detail:

when I picked this up it had a db25f port on the back, marked by someone scsi, two round mini keyboard-looking ports, probably serial, look like s-video sort of.. ribbon cable probably for the floppies. nice little thing

Dunno if that helps. Personally, I used them alot way back, but never got to look inside or at the back, to know much of anything about the hardware. I googles some info, but nothing was specific enough. I told him to take out the card (he hasn't set it up yet) and read me some information about it. I'll post again when I have more data.

david__schmidt
March 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
two round mini keyboard-looking ports, probably serial, look like s-video sort of.. ribbon cable probably for the floppies. nice little thing
Sounds just a little like a workstation card:
http://www.apple2info.net/hardware/a2ews/a2ews.htm

Could you convince the person to take a picture? We're clearly not going to get anywhere with these kinds of descriptions...

DreadStorm
March 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I just sent him to that site. He doesn't have a camera, but knows someone that does. In the interim, he's going to compare, and then Google the rest. Just got an IM - that is the workstation card. But hang loose, I'm still waiting on something more useful.

Geo3
March 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM
One question, or two, I have is what is your friend going to do or use the IIe for? Since he has no software and with a limited knowledge of the apple other than making it work?

Take Care

DreadStorm
March 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
He's much like Tezza. What he wants to do is load it up with it's "natural" options, and when it's done, set it up as a museum piece.

Personally, I wanna hit him. :) I want one to USE. heh

Haven't spoken to him in a couple days, but I'm betting that it may not be SCSI after all. He hasn't been bugging me about my hard drive.

david__schmidt
March 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
He's much like Tezza. What he wants to do is load it up with it's "natural" options, and when it's done, set it up as a museum piece.

A hard drive on an Apple IIe would not be a "natural" option in any case. :-)

DreadStorm
March 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
When I was a kid in school, they had a Platinum IIe that had a 10MB hard drive in an external case. So did the teacher's IIgs. Funny thing though - He always used the IIe, and didn't like the gs. Odd...But then, that guy was an odd sort anyway. heh