PDA

View Full Version : Help with my IIe , quick question

Mrbill317
April 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
I just received a IIe from a friend , it came absolutely prestine.

I have some questions about my interface cards he included.

I was surprised to find a mouse card which when they came out were super expensive.
There is a IO Interface card and the result is a 19 pin connector.
Is this card for a 3 1/2 disk drive? If so is it the same as one for a IIgs?

Geo3
April 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Need more information on the interface card. If it is an apple card, name on the card, number on the card. Liron was a 3.5 drive apple controler. Would only work with the white 800k 3.5 unidisk. Not the regular apple 800k drive.
It is most likely a 5.25 drive card. But you never know until we have some more information.

Take Care

Mrbill317
April 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Its Apple Computer

Io Controller 655-0101-D

19 Pin connector at end of ribbon

david__schmidt
April 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yep, that's the stock 5.25" disk controller. You can chain two 5.25" disks together with it. It won't control a 3.5" disk drive.

Mrbill317
April 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
My friend included that card and the Disk II controller. Does it matter which I use?
He gave me two Disk II drives that are the old ribbon cable style , not the 19pin so I guess Im stuck.

fred3rd
April 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yep, that's the stock 5.25" disk controller. You can chain two 5.25" disks together with it. It won't control a 3.5" disk drive.

Actually you could chain 4 together if you had them. Check Fleabay

david__schmidt
April 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Actually you could chain 4 together if you had them.
On the IIgs, yes, but there's a max of two 3.5" drives (Apple 3.5" and the Unidisks) and two 5.25" drives. There's a max of two 5.25" drives on any one Disk II controller.

My friend included that card and the Disk II controller. Does it matter which I use? He gave me two Disk II drives that are the old ribbon cable style
It matters which controller you use in the sense that it has to connect to the drives you have. If you have the ribbon-cable drives and an old Disk II controller with the 20-pin headers, you're good to go. Use that combination. Be sure to line the pins up carefully. If you're off by one row, you can fry the drive electronics.