PDA

View Full Version : color text in Applesoft Basic

tezza
April 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get colored text, in text mode in Applesoft Basic on an APPLE IIe.

I've got an older Applesoft Tutorial, but I think it must be before a version for the IIe. It tells you how to get colored pixels in graphics mode using the COLOR command, but there doesn't seem to be anything there that colours text in plain old full-screen text mode??

You must be able to do this with Apple IIe Applesoft BASIC, surely? Anyone know off the top of thier head?

Tez

Brendan
April 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
If I remember correctly, text can only either be white on black or black on white (or alternating), but no color.

I think to get black on white, you use the INVERSE command, and to get alternating, use the FLASH command.

You can get color high or low res graphics, but that's another story.

tezza
April 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
If I remember correctly, text can only either be white on black or black on white (or alternating), but no color.

I think to get black on white, you use the INVERSE command, and to get alternating, use the FLASH command.

You can get color high or low res graphics, but that's another story.

Yes, that's what the Applesoft Tutorial manual indicated. I had hoped that it was an old manual for the APPLE II or II+ version of Applesoft and that the Apple IIe had some kind of an extended version.

Maybe not though? If not, I find it amazing that Applesoft wasn't updated to allow this (perhaps it was?). I mean, the Apple IIe sold well into the late 80s. Was it a hardware limitation? Even with MS BASIC on a CGA 5150 in 1982 you could add a little colour to your text.

Tez

david__schmidt
April 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Maybe not though? If not, I find it amazing that Applesoft wasn't updated to allow this (perhaps it was?). I mean, the Apple IIe sold well into the late 80s. Was it a hardware limitation? Even with MS BASIC on a CGA 5150 in 1982 you could add a little colour to your text.
The Apple /// had color text, but the entire Apple II line kept the black/white text throughout its entire lifetime for compatability reasons.

tezza
April 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Right. Thanks for that info. It's stopped me looking for an Applesoft command that isn't there.

Tez