PDA

View Full Version : New guy in town

belshire
July 22nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Hi,

I'm beginning to start my collection of older computers. I just pulled out my old commodore and it sparked my interest. I'm also a student and I'm making a small book on the art and history of computer design for one of my classes (i'm focusing just on the design of the box mainly not getting into theories of interface design etc. ) It's going to be an art book and mainly rely on pictures, so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to where I could get some high quality pictures or if any of you had any (you would be credited), or suggestions on good computers to focus on. Thanks

vic user
July 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
yes! another commodore user! and hopefully a vickie :)

here is a good site where you might find some good pics:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=20

check out the kitchen computer, under the humour or funny sectionr!

chris

Terry Yager
July 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
I think one of the prettiest case designs was the old ALTOS 586/686. It was a rounded-off, stylized design. I always thought they looked thier best when bundled with a VT-220 style terminal, which sorta matched the general design & color (sorta yellow-ish). I may be able to get pics of one in the near future, if they are not buried too deep in the storage.

--T

Terry Yager
July 22nd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah, then there's this one, from Thomas Hildebrandt:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/viewtopic.php?t=1071

If dat ain't style then I don't know what is...

--T

Erik
July 22nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the VC Forum!

Please keep us informed as your collection grows! :)

Enjoy!

Erik

carlsson
July 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Woo, a cutting board. I wonder if it would be possible today to produce a cutting board with sensors so it could be used as an input device too. Imagine the feeling to play computer games with a knife in your hand!

Terry Yager
July 24th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Well, I finally made it over to my friend's house, and we searched the garage and trailer, to no avail. So, we went over to the mini-storage and searched thru the Winnebago and the storage locker, but still no joy. We didn't manage to find the Altos 686, which means it's prolly still in ComputerHell somewhere. I'll go over to the store later this week and look round to see if I cn locate it. (Wish me luck).

--T