PDA

View Full Version : Simple guide to using TP 3 on a CPC

CP/M User
April 8th, 2008, 02:22 AM
No new code unfortunately, however I've added an easy guide (http://www.geocities.com/cpm22_user/programs/Amstrad_CPC/TurboPAS/readme.txt) to obtaining and using TP 3 on an Amstrad CPC. It doesn't go into the details of Turbo Pascal 3 language itself, it's merely a guide for people who don't know how to use it. I felt adding something like this to my site (along with the Programs) will help people interested in TP more interested in using it.

mbbrutman
April 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM
This is an excellent idea and might get some more people programming.

(I will do one for Borland Turbo C++ for DOS machines. Unfortunately, it takes a minimum of a 386 to be useful.)

CP/M User
April 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
mbbrutman wrote:

This is an excellent idea and might get some more people programming.

Yeah I hope so cause even on an old machine like a CPC there's dozens of programming languages to choose from, including a number of different Pascals. I felt at least if I could help people use the software better (cause it's not something everybody would pickup straight away) and show people how programs compare to languages like BASIC, then it's a positive. The other positive I guess is it all runs in CP/M! :-D

(I will do one for Borland Turbo C++ for DOS machines. Unfortunately, it takes a minimum of a 386 to be useful.)

Yeah you could literally do something like this for every programming language, of course some programming examples bundled with that is a bonus.

I also tried to think of questions people might have when using this language which I put at towards the end of the document. In my example I felt BASIC is it's rival, so I could drop in a thing or two which TP has up it's sleeve and point out things like, while TP doesn't incorporate as much as it's BASIC rival, the Firmware can bring a lot of the fun stuff back into TP (which some of my programs do).

Probably talked a little bit about Portability and how CP/M programs are usually confined to this, didn't really say much about it, though my argument (which I didn't really include) was if a PCW can have Commercial Arcade style games in CP/M, then so can a CPC! :-o