PDA

View Full Version : Pinout request for drive inside Apple's 3.5 floppy

lukazi
April 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,

Inside the Apple 3.5 800k A9M0106 floppy disk drive exist two main parts. 1. the daisy chain interface board and 2. a SONY MFD-51W-03 drive mechanism. I am after the pinouts for 20pin cable which connects these two items. Apple in their service manuals call this connector CN102. Any help with obtaining documentation or schematics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

nige the hippy
April 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
10 mins googling.....

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Apple_Macintosh_Internal_Floppy_disk_drive

lukazi
April 10th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your help but unfortunately this is not what I was after. I do agree that the Mac internal drive pinouts (and the Apple IIGS floppy drive connector / Apple 3.5 disk controller pinouts) are very easy to find. The pinouts for the SONY MFD-51W-03 drive mechanism are very similar to the Mac internal drive but not the same. The Mac needs a special yellow striped cable (Apple model no 590-0437) to talk to this SONY drive. I don't think this cable is a direct straight through. On the solder side of the daisy chain interface board the CN102 connection does label some of the pins. Two of these pins don't match the Mac pinouts. Pin 9 is labelled "EJCT" (I assume this is Eject. Mac shows +5V) and pin 20 is labelled "/CSTO" (Mac shows not connected). It's these small differences that had me stumped.

Thanks.