PDA

View Full Version : atari 1040 st models

joseph12
April 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hello,

Can anyone help me I want to get a Atari 1040 st what types of models are good. And what type of games will work on the Atari 1040 st models.

Thank you
Joseph D. II

NathanAllan
April 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Any of the ST series are pretty good. The more ram the better, but it's not simple, you have to solder it in. If it has a floppy drive, fine, if it works even better. Plan on doing something to connect it to another more modern PC (when I say modern, I mean a 486 or so) cause the floppy drive will be 20+ years old and probably need replacing soon. Fron experience, it's better to figure out another method, not using a floppy at all. The drives are expensive and un-warrantied.

I have heard people have gotten scsi zip drives working with them, and you can also attach the ST to a PC by using a serial null modem cable and a porgoram called ghostlink. Using ghostlink, you can use the attached PC as a slave drive, and have all the files stored there. Slow, but workable. Using the scsi zip drive there is more hardware involved and it's (presumably) faster.

The programs for the ST (games and productive) are availabel for download in many places. Some have made their own programs and released them, also. If you were to go buy vintage program packages, you would need a floppy drive in something so you can transfer it over to the atari. It's a little complex, but I have done it.

If you go for the cart based stuff, there's not that much available. The only cart I have is a terminal emulator cart (which works awesome) to connect to my little Altos Xenix server machine.

Are you much of a computer person? The ST is danged interesting, and I keep going back seeing as how it was practically the root of most modern machines (in theory). They have graphic user interfaces, and really remind me of the macOS machines up to about OS7. Well, maybe earlier :)

Nathan

carlsson
April 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Basically the 1040ST can divided as following:

1040ST (does this one exist?) - no floppy drive, no TV output
1040STF - built-in floppy drive, no TV output
1040STM (does this one exist?) - no floppy drive, but TV output
1040STFM - both built-in floppy drive and TV output
1040STE - improved version of STFM with added blitter

I think you can get different amount of RAM too, and probably 3rd party expansions for turbo options etc, but those are the models I know about. Above those models, you have the TT, Mega and Falcon models but those are of course not the same as the ST series.

As for games, I think the difference would be between 1040ST and 1040STE, but frankly I'm unsure how many STE games using the blitter there were.

Unknown_K
April 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
The major changes to the STE from the others is (4) 30 pin simm slots so you can cheaply and easily put 4MB of RAM in it, newer version of GEM, stereo sound instead of mono, and the blitter.

Micom 2000
April 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Among other models I have a 520ST. It has no internal floppy or TV connector and uses an external power supply and of course 1/2 the ram of the ST. I also have a 520STM which is like the 520ST but with a single RCA plug and a channel 2/3 switch, and the midi-in midi-out sockets were on the back. So both of those 1040 models must have also existed. There was originally some problem in the US with FCC shielding regulations and IIRC Atari withdrew the early STM offering.

Not all the Ram kits needed soldering except for 2 wires. Total allowed Ram was 4megs.
In the STE the ram expansion sockets were on the motherboard and allowed 8megs.
The STs could read MSDOS floppies downloaded from the internet. There was a problem occasionally of PCs not being able to read TOS floppies but there were utility programs to get around that. IIRC it was because MSDOS floppies have an identifying sector at the
beginning of the tracks.

Lawrence

ukl
April 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
some question from germany:

in germany, the atari stīs can be found on every corner - the ware sold a lot in germany.

did they sold a lot in the u.s. too ? on ebay.de you can get atari stīs for less money.

NathanAllan
April 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
some question from germany:

in germany, the atari stīs can be found on every corner - the ware sold a lot in germany.

did they sold a lot in the u.s. too ? on ebay.de you can get atari stīs for less money.
They did sell here, but they're not that common. Not on every corner at least. Maybe every few blocks :)

Nathan

Unknown_K
April 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I got a decent deal on my 1040stfm and color monitor years ago, something like $40 shipped (US).

Around here (Ohio) both the Amiga and ST must not have been that popular since I have never seen either at garage sales or freecycle. C64s are as common as dirt and atari 800's do show up once in a while.

While people in Europe seem to have stuck with the ST and Amiga a long time people here switched to the IBM PC much sooner.

carlsson
April 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yes, us Europeans traditionally are more price sensitive, more attracted to inexpensive, a bit dated solutions than Americans who always wanted the latest thing first and would spend the $$$ required to get it. I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in Sweden the PC compatibles as home computers didn't really take off until 1993, or even 1994.

Micom 2000
April 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Sts were generally the preferred music computer in Europe and most of the big groups used them. Germany was certainly the world leader in ST innovation. Steinberg started off it's computer music empire with STs not to mention the many other companies which developed music programs for STs. Up untill the Falcon, STs were king in the music industry and much of that was based on their lower price. In the US however STs were in a fight between them, Amigas and Macs tho STs were used by some of the top pop artists.

Lawrence

Sharkonwheels
April 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I dunno...for some reason, I was never attracted to the ST series...
been kinda' looking at 'em the last year or two...

I went from my ZX80, to the Color Computer (64k CoCo2, then 512k CoCo3), then to PC and Amiga kinda' simultaneously. Finally got rid of the last Amiga about 5 years ago or so - had an AT 4000 Tower, (2) 3000's (1 a UX), (2) 2000's, (3) 1200's, and a 600HD. SLowly but surely, got rid of all of them...
The last of the software and accessories I unloaded about 1.5-2 years ago.

But, all the while, from 1990 on, I *ALWAYS* had a CP/M box around, at least 1. I've had an Osborne 1a that I've owned since 1990, SS/DD, Nuevo 80-col upgrade, all manuals, great condition.

I dunno - to me, the graphics of the ST just never looked as good as the Amiga, for example, so it never really attracted me.

Who knows - maybe I'll pick one up just to dabble.

T