PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary of WarGames on AMC

Sharkonwheels
April 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM
You guys been seeing the commercials? AMC is doing something Tuesday, and showing WarGames - missed the time, though.

T

ahm
April 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.amctv.com/

Erik
April 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I sent in some computer images presumably for the 25th anniversary edition DVD. . . I wonder if they ever used 'em.

billdeg
April 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
speaking of WarGames, I spent about 8 hours this weekend working on (what I call) my IMSAI 8080 #2 with Thinkertoy wunderbuss mother/backplane board. My #1 works fine.

Here is a summary of the results of voltage power testing:

1. yellow - PCB label: -16V PCB: -17.45v capac: -17.45v output: -17.45v
2. orange - PCB label: +16V PCB: +11 capac: +.0130 output: +.0130
3. black - PCB label: gnd PCB: 0.00 na output: 0.00
4. whilte - PCB label: +8 PCB: +9.2 capac: +9.2 output: +9.2

conclusion - the +16 capacitor (one of the two smaller big blue cylinders) needs to be replaced or re-formed. I have a variac, so I am going to try to reform it, what the heck. Everything has been removed from the system except the power supply, I am simply probing the various voltage and ground points. I am hoping that when I replace the +16 capacitor the other voltages will calm down a hair and get closer to -16v and +8v respectively.

I should also comment that the previous owner had the +16v and -16v lines crossed, and that is why the backplane tantalum capacitors kept blowing during testing. Sheesh I should have tested that first!

Lesson - don't assume that the previous owner of a vintage computer knew what he/she was doing! I also have to replace the MC78M12CT (on the schematic it's the 7812 regulator IC4)

bd

Sharkonwheels
April 21st, 2008, 10:46 PM
I also have to replace the MC78M12CT (on the schematic it's the 7812 regulator IC4)

bd

If you don't already have it, NTE still makes it. part number is NTE966.
Check nteinc.com for distributors, but mouser.com is an online vendor. Might be someone nearby for it for you.

T

billdeg
April 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
thanks for the info. I am going to the trenton computer festival this weekend, I hope to pick up this part there.
Bill

Sharkonwheels
June 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
On again tonight - AMC East, 10pm EST

T

80sFreak
June 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Just buy the DVD! :) Well, along with TRON - The Collector's Edition of course.. ;)

Cheers,

80sFreak

Yzzerdd
June 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
DVD? LOL!!! I own it on Laserdisc, looks awesome. I've been thinking about getting one of those vintage RCA cartridge systems...the name slips me now, but they are pretty cool. Laserdisc is superior, but still.

--Ryan
The only way to truly enjoy a vintage movie is on a vintage player, such as Laserdisc. Same with vintage games, they are just better on the machines they were made to be run on.

Floppies_only
June 6th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I sent in some computer images presumably for the 25th anniversary edition DVD. . . I wonder if they ever used 'em.

I just pre-ordered that version of the movie and I will let you know what I see. I remember that it is going to ship next month.

Sean