PDA

View Full Version : Tell me THIS wouldn't look COOL by your desk!

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it's an eBay listing....but ya GOTTA see this Unix box!
I am not going to spoil the surprise....

This would be one of THE coolest things you could have next to your desk!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280220553881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

:drunk:

T

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I soooo wish I had the money for that!

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
"Yeah.....gimme a second..... Lemme look it up on my CRAY"

Hahaha - that would RULE!

T

tezza
April 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, but can you keep your beer in it? :)

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
No, but you could probably cook with it XD

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Who cares?
It's a freaking CRAY!

T

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
My thoughts exactly! XD Thats the ultimate home UNIX box.

Druid6900
April 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't know, I think my PDP would have looked cool taking up most of my livingroom if it wasn't sitting at the bottom of some GOD DAMN river in the netherlands.

But, I'm not bitter......

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
C'mon, a Cray is way more cool than a PDP >.>

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
What PDP? WE don't NEED no steenking PDP's!

Cray! Cray! Cray!

._______
|...........|:raygun:
|...PDP...|
|_______|:machinegun:

Hehehe

T

Unknown_K
April 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
The only Unix box I would want under my desk would be my Apple A/UX 3 machine (unless the old 68K HP machines ran unix that is).

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
OK, so what you're SAYING, is....

You would kick that cool DeskSide Cray to the curb?

Only thing cooler, would be an SGI Onyx DeskSide, with InfinteRealty2!

Well, small and fitting next to the desk - wouldn't mind having a nice G5 9672 in the garage, if only I had a way to POWER it!

T

MikeS
April 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't kick the Cray out but I wouldn't pay $1K+ either; I'll stick with my dual Cromemco CS-420s running UNIX V and Cromix+ - they're paid for ;-)

m

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Well, I wouldn't kick the Cray out but I wouldn't pay $1K+ either; I'll stick with my dual Cromemco CS-420s running UNIX V and Cromix+ - they're paid for ;-)

m

That's pretty sweet!

T

tenox
April 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
The only Unix box I would want under my desk would be my Apple A/UX 3 machine (unless the old 68K HP machines ran unix that is).

I used to have SE/30 running A/UX 3.11 on my desk, very cool thing.

And old 68K HP machines did run Unix. I think HPUX prior to version 7 or 6 was 68K. Also original Sun boxes and SunOS was for 68k boxes :)

NobodyIsHere
April 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know, I think my PDP would have looked cool taking up most of my livingroom if it wasn't sitting at the bottom of some GOD DAMN river in the netherlands.

But, I'm not bitter......

No, you're WAY past bitter...

:-)

Andrew Lynch

barythrin
April 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Only thing cooler, would be an SGI Onyx DeskSide, with InfinteRealty2!

T

lol well I'll trade ya for the cray ;o) I don't even want to spend the money on the weird power cable required for my Onyx or Challenge. So I have these multi-processor SGI servers that may or may not work (look cool) but whatever.

Anyway, yeah a Cray would be perty sweet. You're in Florida atleast you could make the drive and get it.

- John

Sharkonwheels
April 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I used to have SE/30 running A/UX 3.11 on my desk, very cool thing.

And old 68K HP machines did run Unix. I think HPUX prior to version 7 or 6 was 68K. Also original Sun boxes and SunOS was for 68k boxes :)

Heh - I had that, eBay'd it. Also had a Q950 with A/UX I eBayed a few years back - 256MB of RAM if I recall correctly!

I also have, in the dark recesses of my garage, a.....
WGS95! THE A/UX box...

No...it isn;t getting eBayed!

T

Unknown_K
April 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Heh - I had that, eBay'd it. Also had a Q950 with A/UX I eBayed a few years back - 256MB of RAM if I recall correctly!

WGS95! THE A/UX box...

T

Thats what I have , a very lightly used WGS95 (was sitting in some stock room as a spare) with the full cache on the PDS SCSI card, plus the box with all the A/UX software that came with it all in shrinkwrap never opened (I have another set that I use to do installs). Has the nice 5 drive shelf in it as well (but one of my other 950's borrowed it).

http://www.aux-penelope.com/downloads.htm the section with the Apple Logo'd DAT tapes are pics of the software, manuals, and misc that came in the software pack (my pics). I didn't take a picture of the 4 rubber feet that you had to install on the bottom of the wgs95 yourself.

I never ebayed anything, so it will be sticking around here for a while.

Sharkonwheels
April 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM
U_K: I think I have a NuBus JackHammer SCSI card - innerested?
It's layin' around gathering dust.

Rather see it go to someone who gives a hoot about it!

T

tenox
April 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM

WGS95! THE A/UX box...

T

Awesome! I remember the WG machines very well. In around 1997-98 I have been contracting to Apple Computer Poland as a UNIX Consultant and supporting their Unix based customers. There were bunch off large publishing houses and magazine publishers. They were using at that time both WGS A/UX and ANS with AIX and Next boxes with OpenStep to run Helios Ethershare. I was given one of first Rhapsody releases to try out on a PC. It was really cool from a time perspective to work with all Apple Unixes at once really. In production!

Best regards,
A

Unknown_K
April 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
U_K: I think I have a NuBus JackHammer SCSI card - innerested?
It's layin' around gathering dust.

Rather see it go to someone who gives a hoot about it!

T

Sure , I love Nubus cards of any type and I put them to use (which is why I have so many 68k machines).

Here are some of what I have:

http://picasaweb.google.com/teozenios/NubusCards

Needs updating.

Ptolom
June 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'm actually using a cray Y/MP EL this very minute on SSH cray-cyber.org. I want one:)

im_an_alien
August 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry to bump this, but the thing finally got sold 2 days ago. Winning bid was $4975. Too bad I'm not rich...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cray-YMP-EL92-supercomputer-deskside-fully-functional_W0QQitemZ280252548430QQihZ018QQcategory Z4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw, cray-cyber.org is awesome. I just got an account.

Quantumevent
August 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry to bump this, but the thing finally got sold 2 days ago. Winning bid was $4975. Too bad I'm not rich...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cray-YMP-EL92-supercomputer-deskside-fully-functional_W0QQitemZ280252548430QQihZ018QQcategory Z4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw, cray-cyber.org is awesome. I just got an account.
Hi,
I just ran across this Forum and thread. I missed getting my hands on a Cray J90 and so I wasn't going to let "this one" get by. I think it is important to keep systems like this Cray YMP EL92 operational (and useful) if possible. Working with a vector processor is also very interesting. Also picked up a SUN E10K (StarFire) with 64 - 400MHz processors and 64GB of RAM. This will act as a test and production server for a complex DB app with heavy duty statistical analysis that I'm working on. I've been using a 14 processor SUN E4500 system. It's incredible to be able to get your hands on such computing power for the price of a tricked out game machine....

Druid6900
August 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Congratulations on your win.

Sharkonwheels
August 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Q, man, if a got the $$, and that's what ya want, man, I'm happy for ya.

You can say what very few can - "I own a Cray."

Not a piece of lucite, with a memory chip embedded in it, for display.
A dang working, fire-breathing, power-company-pleasing, wife-ticker-offer, full-blown Cray!

Oh - Um, you guys with the Cray-badged SGI workstations need not apply :)

T

Unknown_K
August 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
How many processors are in there, only hold 256MB RAM? How old is that thing?

im_an_alien
August 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM
How many processors are in there, only hold 256MB RAM? How old is that thing?

I think about 15 years.

Sharkonwheels
August 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah - I STILL say that would be one helluva conversation piece....

Kinda' like an SGI Onyx2 InfiniteReality machine!!!

T

tenox
August 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.tenox.tc/out/aclock-cray.jpg

Quantumevent
August 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Actually, after working with it for a few days and compiling some test programs with Cray's optimizing and vectorizing C compiler (which is really amazing) under Unicos, it is still really damn fast when performing calculations on large arrays.

For instance if you take three arrays of 64 floating point elements each, i.e. C[x] = A[x] * B[x], it treats the entire array calculation as a single instruction and executes it in one instruction cycle. Just think how many instructions and clock cycles it would take on your Intel, AMD, "x"SPARC, or G5 processors to do the equivalent.

I believe it is fastest when the problem can be broken down into vectors that are multiples of clusters of 64 (floating point) elements. I'll know more soon.

I've added pictures... (slightly fuzzy unfortunately)

picture ...726 is the CRAY Y-MP EL92 ( there is also a PDP8/e on the left )

...723 is a picture of the Y-MP processor board. The ENTIRE BOARD is the processor, and it has 13 layers.

...725 is a picture of the MEMMORY board.

Quantumevent
August 31st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Actually Tenox, this is the same machine that you had your ASCII clock run on... the previous owner mentioned it when we were working on the system.

JeffMeunier
September 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
the CRAY Y-MP EL92 ( there is also a PDP8/e on the left )
Just curious, but how much electricity does your enviable hardware collection actually use? I mean, can you afford to power these things on? And can you cook an egg just by leaving it in a bowl sitting on top of the Cray? Or on your desk?

Quantumevent
September 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Just curious, but how much electricity does your enviable hardware collection actually use? I mean, can you afford to power these things on? And can you cook an egg just by leaving it in a bowl sitting on top of the Cray? Or on your desk?

Actually, it appears to use less than our 8 person hot tub... so it isn't that bad. It doesn't run hot.... but it does warm up the room so I have a few fans blowing cool air toward it. Also helps to have the windows cracked.

Unlike many other servers and racks of servers, this unit's fans have a rather pleasant ( though moderately loud ) harmony. Not like sitting in a car wash with the blowers on ( like most servers ).

The cats like to sleep on top of it because it is warm and "purrs"....

On some of the vector tests I've run it looks like it averages 3000% faster on those benchmarks than the same program with vector optimization turned off. Pipelined vector processors are a pretty cool architecture.

The PDP8/e is much more "unpleasantly" noisy, but hey ... it's got 6K of Core Memory which is pretty neat. And it still works. Always loved "blinking lights" on computers.... machines have gotten more boring. Jeez, on my G5 iMac I can't even tell if there is drive activity....

JeffMeunier
September 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
6K of Core Memory
Righteous. 1GB for $20 balanced on the tip of my finger, and somehow I envy you: