PDA

View Full Version : computermkt is at it again on ebay

curtis
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
He's posted around 1000 items. Yes, one thousand!

And no, his prices haven't come down any.

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
That's because the fool cancelled all the old ones....

It is SO HARD to trudge through now, when that moron has just completely cluttered up the single listing of vintage items....

Unbelievable.....$299 for a Tano Dragon/64, which can be bought for $35
NEW IN THE BOX from CA Digital!

Ridiculous....and it is SUCH a waste of bandwidth, time, and energy to plow through all that crap!

T

Zeela
April 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Unbelievable.....$299 for a Tano Dragon/64, which can be bought for $35
NEW IN THE BOX from CA Digital!
Okay, what's CA Digital and where can I find them? I really want a Tano Dragon. Especially if the price is so low!

// Z

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Linkage

http://www.cadigital.com/computer.htm

Unknown_K
April 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Linkage

http://www.cadigital.com/computer.htm

I would bet money that site is over a decade old, they are selling 72 pin simms (16MB) for $307/ea on another page! 9GB Micropolis (way out of business) FH HD is $697!

Vlad
April 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I just googled it and found the site Tony referenced, never really saw it before, just Google FU in action XD

Yeah, Netcraft says it was last updated in 2004, so its probably long gone but its hosted at a well known hosting company, so someone's still paying the bill...

chuckcmagee
April 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I attempted to get some hard-sectored floppy disks from CA months ago. They don't know how to spell "customer service"!! After 2 or 3 emails from me and a few weeks, they basically told me that it would be too much trouble to dig them up to sell any.

I strongly doubt they even have any.

And yes, their web site is ancient!! Makes it easy to maintain, I suppose.

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Geez - I emailed to order the shrink-wrapped CP/M they have, paid 'em PayPal, and had it in like 4 days. Thsi was just last week.

Person also confirmed at that time, that they had Dragon/64's (the web page says Dragon32) for $35 plus shipping, NIB!

T

Sharkonwheels
April 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Oh, also, the person said $35 was for the Dragon 64, and that it was *NOT* a kit!

Also - loks like MORE WunderBrains came out of the woodwork on fleaBay tonight!

Was there an eBay Special on Moronic Listings or something?

EDIT: Oh yeah....Here ya go. $149.99 for a ridiculously yellowed Color Computer 2, that would normally fetch, what, $15 when NOT BANANA-COLORED?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-TRS-80-Color-Computer-Vintage_W0QQitemZ150239638696QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41 93QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

T

frozenfire75i
April 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-DOS-Version-2-10-Manuals_W0QQitemZ150239590570QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41 93QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l12 62

99 bucks for DOS 2.1 WITH NO DISK'S....... Seen it all now :rolleyes:

Trixter
April 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
It is SO HARD to trudge through now, when that moron has just completely cluttered up the single listing of vintage items....

The single listing? Checks ebay...

WTF?!? There is a grand total of **ONE** Vintage category on ebay now?

VintageComputerman
April 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
The single listing? Checks ebay...

WTF?!? There is a grand total of **ONE** Vintage category on ebay now?

Yea, isn't that nice what ebay did. It has killed my business. I sell some of the stuff I don't need on ebay and it took me a lot of time to search and categorize every listing and after all that work they just jumble it all together and now it takes forever to find anything. Like going into your garage where everything is sorted so you know where everything is and dumping it all in one box. Thats why I am looking for a better place to buy and sell.

Sharkonwheels
April 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Frozenfire:
Yeah...I wasn't gonna quote like every STUPID listing...but there's some REAL prizewinners!

Trixter:
Yup - it's a HUGE mess now, and what with these mental-midgets with their ridiculous listings, there's now over 3000 listings, of which easily 2000+ are junk.

Then you have the people listing INDIVIDUAL magazines for $13 freaking EACH!

<sigh>

It's so hard to wade through all the crap now...

Unknown_K
April 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Frozenfire:
Yeah...I wasn't gonna quote like every STUPID listing...but there's some REAL prizewinners!

Trixter:
Yup - it's a HUGE mess now, and what with these mental-midgets with their ridiculous listings, there's now over 3000 listings, of which easily 2000+ are junk.

Then you have the people listing INDIVIDUAL magazines for $13 freaking EACH!

<sigh>

It's so hard to wade through all the crap now...
Which means deals can be found if you get lucky.

evildragon
April 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
All I want to get is an 8087-2 co processor, which I know can be found cheap.

eBays cheapest is 14 dollars, + 5 dollars for shipping, from China, and UN-TESTED. Oh come on.

I actually have a use for the co-proc too, not just let it sit and say "hey i got one!". No, I actually need this co-proc for some things i want to do, like banking and graphing my income and expenses. Takes far too long without one. (and i refuse to use a modern computer for this job, when my old IBM can do it perfectly well, when i have that co-proc).

I'm kinda hoping one pops up on eBay for like 5 bucks. That's about what I see as the right price for a simple 8MHz chip.

Sharkonwheels
April 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Check with VintageMicros on eBay/OnlineAuction/VC Marketplace after May 10 (on vacation in Europe). he always has metric tons of chips :)

T

nige the hippy
April 24th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I got inches away from a "best offer" some time ago, Computermkt had/has an Intel PDS (portable development system).

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=816

I used to have one (well, the box), "cool-as ****", launched (?) just after the space shuttle which it tries to emulate, all white plastic with a streamlined black keyboard clipped to the front. 8085 processor, twin floppies, and bubble drive, it also had a hatch on the top where you could store floppies & spare podules.

Computermkt's one had a supposedly dead screen, made all the right noises etc, so I made a low "sensible" offer of about $100, which he counter-offered, so, expecting to haggle a bit, I upped my offer a bit, and that was it, no response ever again.

I've noticed that he's got the screen working now, & it's up for about $950 or best offer, I'm not tempted!
(& I still haven't got the hang of ignoring all the ad's starting with "rare")

Yzzerdd
April 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Evildragon, I do the very same thing with my vintage machines. My AT&T PC 6300 usually has the task of keeping my finances and my monthly profit/debit information, graphed. Shows alot about me. Also shows that my business hasn't recovered from the crash of February 2008, but I am on the way to getting past that. If you need programs, recommendations, help, etc, let me know. I've been banking on these machines for years (and I dont mean selling!). I use a math co-processor in my AT&T, but I have run these programs on my IBM 5150, which I am yet to get an 8087 for. Really, it isn't that slow. Dont buy that china crap. I made that mistake once and never again. I wish there was a way to tell eBay to only search the US and Canada. I hate eBay, but no matter how hard you try, it keeps pulling you in.

Nige, I've learned to totally go over the words "rare, vintage, WoW, L@@K, etc" on listings. I don't even notice them anymore. Of course, every once in awhile someone will point it out, then I have to look carefully for the word. That sucks that Computermkt got away with that one. I hate resellers like him, but I guess in this world you've got to make money however you can. He'll be bankin' if I ever win the lottery--eBay will be the first place I go after taking the whole family out for steaks!

--Ryan

evildragon
April 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
For what I'm doing lately, I need the co-proc, projecting what my money will be like in the future is hard on this thing.

But after 30 seconds of "processing", if I didn't get that job, within 3 months, I'd be in dept 56 dollars on gas money. WOW. that's scary. good thing I got the job and start monday..

Dwight Elvey
April 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hi
I don't know how he stores all this stuff. I can't imagine
that he has enough space to nicely place each item
on a shelf.
Most of these items are the same ones he's put up
before. If I had time to waste, I'd be curious as to
how many items he actually does sell?
Dwight

VintageComputerman
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hi
I don't know how he stores all this stuff. I can't imagine
that he has enough space to nicely place each item
on a shelf.
Most of these items are the same ones he's put up
before. If I had time to waste, I'd be curious as to
how many items he actually does sell?
Dwight

You used to be able to search to see completed sales in stores and other listings. I think ebay changed that recently and now you can't. He didn't sell that much imo, because I have looked.

Sharkonwheels
April 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just do 'Advanced Search"
Select "By Seller"
type his username in the box, check ON the completed auctions, and then click search.

T

Sharkonwheels
April 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Oh, and EVERY STINKING ITEM is...

Very Rare

and they're 5 billion dollars, and UNTESTED.

what a schmuck - even SEARCHES are a stinking nightmare...

I'd like to take my VERY RARE boot, and kick it straight up his VERY RARE %@#$&

T

apple2fan
April 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! ah man i love this guy. how about $49 bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Apple-IIE-Platnium-w-Monitor-Disk-1986-Works_W0QQitemZ190216720340QQihZ009QQcategoryZ5104 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

apple2fan
April 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
and how about $10 bucks?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Apple-A2M6017-Mdl-Monitor-IIE-Composite-Monitor_W0QQitemZ200218236472QQihZ010QQcategoryZ51 046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Nearly made me fall out of my chair
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-II-AppleSoft-Tutorial-Nice_W0QQitemZ200218232334QQihZ010QQcategoryZ51046 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

evildragon
April 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
he got a PlayStation with controller for 79 dollars.

I got the same one MINT and unopened from 1997 at a thrift store for 18 dollars.

carlsson
April 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Ah yes. I was looking at a loose, untested Sony PS1 without any cables, controllers or games. The starting bid (another seller) was 0.99 UKP, about 2 USD. I figured the unit was not worth international shipping, and obviously everyone else on eBay thought the same, as it ended without any bids.

But really, insane prices is not much to get upset about as long as he doesn't fool anyone to pay what he asks. Does this guy also buy a lot of vintage items for ridiculous amounts of money, using freshly issued or fake credit cards? There was this other seller - his username eludes me - who for a while vacuumed eBay on uncommon Commodore items, and then opened his own eBay store to resell them even higher. He used to be a member on the Lemon64 forums and got truthfully bashed for his business. Then suddenly he dropped his prices much below what he originally paid, and there was speculation the first bill from the credit card company had just arrived.

Sharkonwheels
April 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
The seller in question frequently buys things cheap on eBay, and then relists them a few weeks later at a HUGE markup. He's nothing but a leach, a troll, a leper on our hobby. Just about everything he sells is at least 300% higher than it should be, and most if it is untested, or just turned on, which we all know is not enough, especially at the prices he is asking. If you're going to sell me a Quay 900 for $899, you damn well better make sure it's PERFECT.

Or an Otrona Attache for $399:
"Otrona Attache 1982 Low Serial Number 4854
Z80A Portable Computer
2 5 1/4" Floppies
64K Ram
Powers Up and displays the message
Looking for Diskette
I do not have the CP/M for this item so I am unable to test it further."

Then, of course, his perennial:
"Due to age sold "AS IS""

Well, 'WE' in the know, are aware that ALL FREAKING attache's are 4-digit serials, far as I know. Both of mine are lower than his! Also, 'WE' know that the floppy drives on the Attache were wonky (I think) Qume drives, which were a horrid piece of kit back then, imagine 26 years later?

And with ALL THOSE FREAKING systems, you think he couldn't use just ONE to make floppies with, and test some systems?

Nope - because he doesn't give a crap, and I can't stand sellers like that.

If you want a price at the PERFECT level, then you need to provide a PRODUCT at the PERFECT level.

My main complaint, besides his overpricing, is he routinely ends ALL 1100+ of his listings, and then lists them all, all over again. It is ALOT of work to trudge through his BS just to get to the good stuff.

I really wish he would just go away, but i assume there are suckers out there buying stuff from him, otherwise, how would he keep re-listing things over, and over, and over?

T

carlsson
April 25th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I see your points. Grabbing bargains and resell them is a bit nasty, but to some degree I think we all have done that, or at least been tempted to. Most of the time I buy items that I'm remotely interested in. If they don't hold up to my expectations, I'd trade them away. Not with 300% markup on purpose, but one never knows what crazy people will bid.

What I do dislike though, is sellers who seem to have an array of shill bidders, pushing the bid over your own, and then three minutes after the auction ended you get a Second Offer at your highest bid level, either because the "buyer" backed out or the seller just found one more copy of that rather uncommon item.

I think in Firefox there are some Greasemonkey scripts one could configure to filter out all auctions from a particular seller. On eBay you can already do the opposite, but I suppose they'd not like to implement a garbage filter which would reduce both traffic and sales.

Zeela
April 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I see your points. Grabbing bargains and resell them is a bit nasty, but to some degree I think we all have done that, or at least been tempted to. Most of the time I buy items that I'm remotely interested in. If they don't hold up to my expectations, I'd trade them away. Not with 300% markup on purpose, but one never knows what crazy people will bid.Yes, a couple of COMX computers springs to mind. I was one of those crazy people then! ;) You got a little more than you paid for them. (And donated the profit to a good thing if I recall correctly)

// Z

VintageComputerman
April 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM
On ebay, you have to keep in mind that it is a world wide market with over 140,000,000 users. If someone in say South Korea is willing to pay 4 times what someone in America wants to pay for something, well thats the way the market works. And with the dollar dropping it will be harder for some of us to afford items that others with higher valued currencies can afford.

Yes, Computer Market is asking too high of prices. But no one has to buy them if they don't want to. If he sells a few items overseas and to those buyers it looks like a good deal, well he got lucky.

I myself have had a few items sell much higher then what similar items were selling for on ebay and they went to people overseas, possibly to collectors with deep pockets.

Keep in mind that as people become more interested in vintage computers as an investment, you will see prices rise accordingly. Thats how the collecting craze works. Just look at how prices have risen in the last few years. Even 486's are growing in value.

My advice is to find, scrounge and acquire as much vintage equipment as you can right now. Metal scavengers, recyclers, earth day groups, etc. are taking a lot of good stuff off the market forever, making these older items even rarer and more valuable. I myself am collecting as much as my 4,000 sf warehouse will hold. I also collect a lot of other vintage stuff so don't think it's all going to be filled with just computers.

These other vintage sites for swapping and trading are great and definitely help the hobbyist by keeping prices as low as possible and it sure is nice to have someone offer computers for the price of shipping and it does keep them out of the land fill. Just remember, as long as there is a market, there will be buying and selling and no one has control over it.

Dwight Elvey
April 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Hi
Since I started watching yesterday, he sold 3 items. Lets see,
3/1100 is 0.3%. Way to move inventory!
Dwight

Unknown_K
April 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I would rather move a few items and make a ton of profit them spend all day moving items that do not make me much money. It is like comparing the volume a Beverly Hills jewler does and what one wallmart store does in a day, who do you think makes more money?

If that seller moved 3 overpriced items today he probably did well.

P.S. I should add that my comments were from a business perspective, which is what many ebay sellers are. It should be noted that I have yet to even list any of my collection on ebay, and have only traded a few things between other collectors. Collectors and business people do not look at our hobby in the exact same way.

Druid6900
April 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Some of us that sell Vintage equipment (not buy and resell) spend DAYS (accumulated) getting every last detail taken care of, finding and replacing whatever is in the box with the original equipment, doing board level repairs using authentically dated parts and ensuring that ever aspect of the unit is completely functional to specs.

It's time consuming work and, for me, it's a labour of love. I want to be able to present to someone the chance to buy a documented and photographed working unit just like it came out of the factory (can't do much about a little yellowing) for their collection or use.

If they think my prices are too high (my time is worth SOMETHING) then they can pass on it and get a "it worked last time it was turned on but I don't have electricity so I can't show you it working" pig in a poke.

Perhaps I should dumpster all this stuff and start a business making brand-new blemish free cases for vintage computers. After all, all I'd need is units that are scrap with good cases to make the molds from.

Sharkonwheels
April 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM
And then we go the the ridiculously absurd...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160231968279&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

$25 Shipping for one binder...
$20 for this one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160231978722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Geez.....
Do people have absolutely no conscience any more?

T

carlsson
April 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
See it from the light side. If this and other sellers mark-up the handling & shipping too high, most buyers will give them a low score on the detailed feedback. Unlike normal feedback, I suppose the seller is not able to see who gave what marks. EBay themselves are adding measures as we speak to filter out those sellers who get too low detailed scores. For example, any seller who is below 4.0 (or if it is 4.5) out of 5.0 on S&H will be penalized to not show up in the listings until all other sellers' items have been displayed, no matter how to order the search. If this becomes a reality, computermkt's 1000 items will end up at the very end of all vintage computer listings, a kind of automatic filter.

VintageComputerman
April 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM
See it from the light side. If this and other sellers mark-up the handling & shipping too high, most buyers will give them a low score on the detailed feedback. Unlike normal feedback, I suppose the seller is not able to see who gave what marks. EBay themselves are adding measures as we speak to filter out those sellers who get too low detailed scores. For example, any seller who is below 4.0 (or if it is 4.5) out of 5.0 on S&H will be penalized to not show up in the listings until all other sellers' items have been displayed, no matter how to order the search. If this becomes a reality, computermkt's 1000 items will end up at the very end of all vintage computer listings, a kind of automatic filter.

Yup...the DSR scores will start kicking in around June, iirc. That should level the playing field, imo.

Druid6900
April 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
There is an article circulating (I didn't read it since I don't sell on fleabay) that the new CEO, compounding his recent idiotic decisions, wants to make the biggest AUCTION site in the world, all BIN.

Sharkonwheels
April 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Check THIS monkey out: $499.99 first bid on a basically stock amiga 4000!
You can usually get a 4000 with a VT4000, plus mebbe a gadget or two!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-4000-computer-with-lots-of-upgrades-NICE_W0QQitemZ320245452571QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4193Q QtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder....what is a "Qualified Amiga Technician" nowadays?
Who is it that qualifies them?
And...do we understand the word "refurbishment?"
Opening it up, and removing the dust, is NOT refurbisment!
That is REMOVING THE DUST!

hehe...check the seller ID - I think the seller needs to apply to username to completed searches!!!!!

T

apple2fan
April 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
And then there's the ridiculous.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Apple-IIE-Platnium-w-Color-CRT-1986-Works_W0QQitemZ200218232281QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4193 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$299.99, at a regular price it would be $29.99.
But hey, maybe his keyboard got stuck. LOL:)

mikey99
April 29th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I'm curious about these 720K 3.5 drives. Are they really that rare ?
I've seen several auctions where people are paying $200+ for these things:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140061854505

Mrbill317
April 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Does this guy get it , he actually has to pay for those items hes listing im sure.

A little markup is ok but 25 dollars shipping on a binder is atrocious esp when he will place it in a flatrate box.

There was one vendor on the bay that almost everything was 16-20 dollars shipping , including disks , joystick ect. And he wouldnt combine shipping at all.

Dwight Elvey
April 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi
Since I started watching yesterday, he sold 3 items. Lets see,
3/1100 is 0.3%. Way to move inventory!
Dwight

From what I could tell, he sold 8 items. 8/1100 is almost 1%.
Wow, really moving that inventory!
Dwight

Sharkonwheels
May 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
He just freaking did it again.... re-listed everything ALL over again.

Looks like he changed the store name to "Vintage Computer Museum Services" whatever that means. I think "Vintage Computer Raping Services" is probably closer ;)

My bad - did I say that?

T

frozenfire75i
May 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Check out this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Mint-Condition-IBM-Portable-Computer-Model-5155_W0QQitemZ110250314505QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4193Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sharkonwheels
May 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Looks like computermkt is buying up all the NeXT stuff...

T

apple2fan
May 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Looks like computermkt is buying up all the NeXT stuff...

T

Yea, he buys a lot of good apple stuff for cheap from ebayers like vintagemicros (which BTW is awesome) and resales them for 4x the price. A lot of his stuff has best offer. I wonder if he wound take less??? ALOT less?

apple2fan
May 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
vintagemicros sold to computermkt: (notice the 1 on the far right)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130210217906
Look familiar?!!!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-II-Plus-Motherboard-PS-820-0044C-79-Works_W0QQitemZ200222392728QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4193 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
3 good mb for $9.99 resold for $159.99! I understand bidding for profit but NO apple II plus mb sells for that much!
And as always: Due to age sold "AS IS" ;

Sharkonwheels
May 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Just like I thought:

NeXT Cube (http://cgi.ebay.com/Next-Cube-Model-N1000A-Low-S-ABA0001944-Works_W0QQitemZ200222625131QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4193 QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

T

Sharkonwheels
May 15th, 2008, 11:00 AM
HO - check THIS one:

Linkage (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110251279503&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123)

Says USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate Box.

'Course, anyone who ships, knows flat-rate PM is $8.95, when I use their calculator, I get almost $16. Heck, USPS even gives you the boxes for FREE

SO I email the seller, and ask what gives? FR PM is $8.95, but your calc says almost $16 - is there an issue with the calculator?

Here's the response i get:
"The calculator is correct. For each item there is a handling fee which we add drectly to the shipping price to cover the packaging materials and such. Thank you for your interest."

Dang - $8 handling fee? so I reply back:
"Ah, now I understand. Of course, you DO know that is against eBay rules - handling should go under handling, not onto shipping. Shipping is supposed to be the amount it costs to ship, and handling is for any handling fees and packing materials costs."

Which is true and correct: eBay gives you a H A N D L I N G section so you can put a handling fee there.
People who DO NOT put a handling fee there, but instead bury it in the shipping, are trying to H I D E this fee.
Otherwise, why would you not use the handling box? It's easy..It's there..It's added into the invoice by eBay... so,I mean, seriously, what's the deal?

Seller responds:
"This information is on our auction page and it is also visible when the shipping rates are brought up. We are very honest and forthright about all of our policies. Thank you again for your interest."

Oh - OK. So a seller's terms can magically change eBay rules....cool - I didn't know that. And honest and forthright?
Please - I had to wade throug entire paragraphs of BS to get to the handling embedding - honest and forthright would be $8 in the HANDLING section of shipping costs...now THAT would be honest - but the scamming would be to obvious then, wouldn't it?

Of course, you guys know my opinion of anyone who charges a, um, "PICKUP FEE"... That's just plain BS, nickel-and-dime, squeeze every last penny ripoff scammer garbage.

Those of you that have known me for a while, know that I have a couple friends who have recycling companies down here in FL - one is like 300,000 sqft of space - NEVER has he charged a PICKUP FEE NEVER has he charged a HANDLING FEE to ANYONE I've ever heard of...

Not only that, but if these scammers are like others out there coming to MY place of work, they either GET THE STUFF for FREE or CHARGE the business for picking it up, and THEN they SELL IT, and charge a PICKUP FEE and/or a HANDLING CHARGE

What a freaking scam....

Sorry for screaming, but THIS one just really pushed me over the top.

T

Vlad
May 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Moved this one to rants to let it run its course.
Also,
CAPS LOCK IS CRUSE CONTROL FOR COOL

carlsson
May 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have never sold anything on eBay, so it was news to me that you can enter separate values for handling and shipping. Doesn't the buyer always get to see the combined amount anyhow?

Sharkonwheels
May 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
eBay has the handling section, so the buyer can see what is going on.

Since eBay provides it, and the seller doesn;t put it there, put instead choosed to embed it in the shipping charge, they MUST be trying to hide it.

There is NO other valid reason - it is there, just like the box where you put the first bid amount, shipping amount, etc..

I can't think of ANY other reason to NOT use the handling box, except that you don't want the buyer to see the amount.

If you DID use the handling box, the amount in it would be added to the bid+shipping on the invoice you send, so it would be bid+handling+shipping=total payment required.

Nice and easy, but they are trying to sneak in a $5-10 handling charge (nearly $8 in the case of my shipping lookup)

I'd be MORE than happy to hear any OTHER reasons, but I doubt anyone can come up with a VALID reason...

T

carlsson
May 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ok. Today I received an item I paid 3 shipping for, but in reality the seller only had to put on stamps worth 0,50. Of course I gave positive feedback, but in the detailed ratings gave 1/5 on shipping and handling expenses. The item itself cost 0,10 and it obviously was priced in that way to avoid as much selling fees as possible. However I get a feeling that will change and eBay will charge for shipping costs too. PayPal already does as they take a share of the total amount.

Sharkonwheels
May 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Look at this one:

Unreal..... (http://cgi.ebay.com/AMGIA-CD32-ParaVisions-SX-1-Install-Disc_W0QQitemZ220238198478QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4193Q QtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

$1 Buy-It-Now, $8.50 for shipping - this is for ONE LITTLE 3.5" FLOPPY DISKETTE!

But then Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/AMGIA-500-OS1-3-TUTORIAL-DEALER-DEMO-DISCS_W0QQitemZ220238194595QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4193 QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is 4 disks for the same $1 Buy-It-Now, but now it's $5.50 shipping....

And HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-DV2000-Series-NoteBook-Service-Manual_W0QQitemZ220236184539QQihZ012QQcategoryZ602 70QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) the seller can send a dang SERVICE MANUAL for $5, but a diskette is $8.50?
Oh - and that is ELECTRONIC DELIVERY!

T

apple2fan
May 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Look at this one:

Unreal..... (http://cgi.ebay.com/AMGIA-CD32-ParaVisions-SX-1-Install-Disc_W0QQitemZ220238198478QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4193Q QtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

$1 Buy-It-Now, $8.50 for shipping - this is for ONE LITTLE 3.5" FLOPPY DISKETTE!

But then Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/AMGIA-500-OS1-3-TUTORIAL-DEALER-DEMO-DISCS_W0QQitemZ220238194595QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4193 QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is 4 disks for the same $1 Buy-It-Now, but now it's $5.50 shipping....

And HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-DV2000-Series-NoteBook-Service-Manual_W0QQitemZ220236184539QQihZ012QQcategoryZ602 70QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) the seller can send a dang SERVICE MANUAL for $5, but a diskette is $8.50?
Oh - and that is ELECTRONIC DELIVERY!

T
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-IIe-with-boxed-printer-monitor-DD-cards-works_W0QQitemZ110255666576QQihZ001QQcategoryZ8007 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Maybe its a mishap. but 999.99 for shipping? uhuh.