PDA

View Full Version : What games do you associate with certain computers?

willowmoon93
April 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I was instantly a big fan of the TI-99/4A computer ever since I played "Munch Man" at a kiosk in a Service Merchandise store back in Tennessee. A few months later, it turned out to be the first computer I ever owned and programmed on it for many years.

Considering that there was quite a bit of cartridge based games for the system, I think today it is still largely overlooked. It's funny though -- I can talk to quite a few retro gamers out there and of course it's the console systems that garner the most attention (Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, for example). But they almost all automatically bring up "Parsec" as the game they automatically associate with the TI-99/4A. Namely the speech and gameplay that they enjoyed the most.

There were some games that were great on the TI-99/4A as well as some not-so-lovable losers as well. And although Parsec wasn't my favorite game on the system, it would have to be in my Top-10 (for the TI, that is).

What I'm curious about is this: for you, what game would you consider to be the game you associate with automatically for that particular system, and why. For example, "Star Raiders" for the Atari 400/800 computer (the reasoning/story behind it is in a prior separate thread of mine.) It doesn't necessarily have to be a groundbreaking or defining-moment type of game, just a particular game that has some connection to you.

I invite everyone on this forum worldwide to participate on this one -- although I live in the United States, I'd also love to hear from those who perhaps had a particular Spectrum, MSX, BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC, etc. game that holds some personal relevance to you. Tell us your stories! :)

tezza
April 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Ok,

Dick Smith System 80 (TRS80 Model 1 clone)
I can't choose just one. I had so many favourites, a collection of which are here.
http://www.webweavers.co.nz/system-80/software_games-videos.htm

Commodore 64 - Ghostbusters. - mainly for the catchy music

Monochrome IBM-PC/XT - Zork 1 and other Infocom games

486 - Doom and Flight Simulator.

Tez

andyt31
April 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
BBC - Elite
Amstrad CPC - 'Roland' games and Sourcery+
Spectrum - Jet Pac
Vic-20 - Digger or Alien

barythrin
April 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
On our Zenith 8088 when we took it to the local computer show to show off it's configuration and what it could do when I was a little kid, we loaded one of my favorite (and one of the smoother) graphical games on it to show off called "Fleet Sweep". It was just a Galaga type game with different ships and movement you had to get past. That's one that certainly had a lot of people interested in our system.

I suppose like many students in early programming classes, on the Apple II Oregon Trail was the big one or Logo which I atleast enjoyed.

I think those are the only vintage systems I really got to play on when they were in their prime. I was jealous of my friend who his family had bought a 286 system (way faster than our 8088) and he played Indiana Jones on his which was cool.

The Amiga 1000/500 the game that got me hooked on that was Scorched Tanks with the good music and tons of weapons.

carlsson
April 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Which VIC-20 game is "Digger"? That is my main computer of interest, and I can't say the title makes me recognize any such game. Alien or Super Alien is well known though.

Tezza ran a similar thread in another sub-forum the other week, where we nominated both productivity, utility and game software for a number of different systems. You may want to look up that thread, although it degenerated around MS/DOS if I recall correctly.

evildragon
April 24th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't know why, but I associate Doom with the NeXT machine. Very odd, I don't know why though.

andyt31
April 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Which VIC-20 game is "Digger"? That is my main computer of interest, and I can't say the title makes me recognize any such game. Alien or Super Alien is well known though.

I think the version of Digger I have was not made by a big software house as there is no copyright info on the front page. There are 2 screen shots at the URL below. Rubbish quality as I took them on my mobile phone...

http://andys.dyn-o-saur.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=323

Also, here is a pic of my custom paint job VIC-20. It was so horribly yellow before painting...

http://andys.dyn-o-saur.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=31

atari2600a
April 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The Atari 400/800 laserdisc kiosk burnt 'Pac-Man' into my memory when recognizing an Atari 8-bit..

Zeela
April 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM
VIC-20: Meteor Run
C64: Ghosts 'n Goblins or Boulder dash
Amiga: Firepower

// Z

paul.brett
April 25th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Here's a coulpe for you...

PC - Doom / Doom II

I have great memories of locking the computer room door at work (just in case any of the management decided to come a snooping) and we had afternoon-long frag-fests with our first little network of 486/Pentium PCs. (When there was no work to do of course! :cool: )

Spectrum - Mercenary

What a great game! I never had the patience to finish it (I mostly flew around in a stolen ship and blew stuff up) but I still thought it was immersive, engrossing and just downright cool.

Paul.

Dwight Elvey
April 25th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Rats on the original 8086 workstation by Convergent Tech.
Dwight

Sharkonwheels
April 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM
For me:

PC: Doom (as Paul mentioned), Quake, and my favorite game of all time:
MechWarrior2 Series (mid 90's).

CoCo: Springer

T

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Ladder & CatchUm on the Kaypros. I also like Space Invaders on the TRS-80 Model III.

--T

Erik
April 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM
IBM PC - Flight Simulator
Apple ][ - Leisure Suit Larry
Atari 800 - M.U.L.E
CP/M systems (various) and IBM PC - Original C&W Adventure
Commodore Pet - Weather Wars

bugman2112
June 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Apple ][ - Castle wolfenstein. Green Monochrome monitor in the junior high computer room. Great Fun.

willowmoon93
June 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Apple ][ - Castle wolfenstein. Green Monochrome monitor in the junior high computer room. Great Fun.

Hard to argue with that one! Loved that game!

Vint
June 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM
TRS-80 Model 1 - MicroChess, Saucer, Quick Watson, Dancing Demon
VIC 20 - Gorf
C64 - Law Of The West, Defender

Luzur
June 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
mine would be
PC 486: Might and Magic 3 / Elder Scrolls Arena
C64: Last Ninja / Pool of Radiance

NathanAllan
June 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Atari 800XL - Donkey Kong; it's my most played game for it.

What systems were Zork released for? I don't mean early PC's, but the 8-bitters?

/edit Well, I just answered my own question-- almost all of them. Funny I have never run across it in any form at thrift shops.

willowmoon93
June 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Atari 800XL - Donkey Kong; it's my most played game for it.

What systems were Zork released for? I don't mean early PC's, but the 8-bitters?

/edit Well, I just answered my own question-- almost all of them. Funny I have never run across it in any form at thrift shops.

The only Infocom game I ever found in a thrift shop that was complete was "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (highly recommended, by the way) for the Apple II series. The earlier Infocom games must be even harder to come by "out in the wild."

carlsson
June 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I believe the Infocom games were a bit too expensive and complex to have been sold in such quantities they would emerge most anywhere. On the other hand it was said that the Infocom adventures suffered almost no piracy, much due to all the extra material included in the box which was required or at least enhanced the play. The adventures would not be quite as playable without the original box. I don't know if this is true though. Other major adventure games certainly suffered from their fair share of pirate copies, just like all other titles.

vwestlife
June 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Donkey Kong was ported to just about every computer and video game console in the '80s, but the Atari 8-bit computer version was by far the best:

http://www.videogamecritic.net/xeae.htm#Donkey_Kong

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/xe/donkey_kong.gif

p.s. Well, okay, I'll admit that from what I've seen, the Coleco Adam version is even better... but who actually has a Coleco Adam anymore!? :p

Aaron Teeling
June 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Timex/Sinclair 1000 - Frogger, but you had to be careful not to dislodge the 16k Ram Pack.
Vic-20- Impossible Mission, Never did finish that game.
C-64- Many great titles.. The Bards Tale was the most popular. I liked the the various flight sims for it.
IBM PC- Infocom's Planetfall
Amiga 500- Firepower, F/A-18 Intercepter, Ballistix, and Port of Call.
486- Doom

TroyW
June 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Me personally:

Atari 400/800: Star Raiders - still in my top 5 games!
Amiga: Shadow of the beast
IBM PC (ok, for me it was an Amstrad PC2286/12): The Space Quest series

willowmoon93
June 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Donkey Kong was ported to just about every computer and video game console in the '80s, but the Atari 8-bit computer version was by far the best:

http://www.videogamecritic.net/xeae.htm#Donkey_Kong

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/xe/donkey_kong.gif

p.s. Well, okay, I'll admit that from what I've seen, the Coleco Adam version is even better... but who actually has a Coleco Adam anymore!? :p

Actually I still have my Coleco Adam, it's the reason why I started collecting vintage computers these past few years. Yeah the Coleco Adam version is pretty darn good, so is the TI-99/4A version as well. But then again they did have similar video display processors.

By the way if you ever want to play an "interesting" version of Donkey Kong, try it on the Intellivision. Mesmerizingly awful.

carlsson
June 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Vic-20- Impossible Mission, Never did finish that game.
I think you mean Mission Impossible, the text adventure game by Scott Adams, Adventure International. It may have been known as Impossible Mission on some other formats, but generally people think about the Epyx action adventure/puzzle game for the C64 etc.

As for Donkey Kong, I think it was re-implemented on the Colecovision the other year. Whether the new port was based on the Coleco Adam, arcade or other version I'm unsure. Of course we're talking about old school gaming though, so new releases for old systems wouldn't count as classical.

vwestlife
June 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
As for Donkey Kong, I think it was re-implemented on the Colecovision the other year. Whether the new port was based on the Coleco Adam, arcade or other version I'm unsure. Of course we're talking about old school gaming though, so new releases for old systems wouldn't count as classical.
The Coleco Adam version had the musical "intermission" between each level and the animation of Kong grabbing the girl and climbing up the ladder at the end of each level, both of which were missing from the ColecoVision version. As well as having all four levels, this made it the most complete home version of the game.

Actually the long story is that Coleco had the contract with Nintendo for releasing Donkey Kong in the USA on video game consoles, and Atari had the contract for releasing it on home computers. Atari was in the process of negotiations with Nintendo on releasing the NES in the USA as an Atari-branded console when they saw Coleco using Donkey Kong to demonstrate their new Adam computer. Atari freaked when they saw this, and negotiations with Nintendo over the NES quickly fell apart. It was a mutual break-up because Atari was upset about Coleco producing a home computer version of Donkey Kong and Nintendo was upset because Atari was stalling the NES deal while they hurriedly worked on the 7800 so they could compare it with the NES and see which system would be better.

barythrin
June 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Not to lead the topic to unobsolete systems, but on 486 when I first got an adlib supporting sound card, Galactix was awesome.. first time I heard high quality sounds for shots, voices through the adlib, it was amazing. Played it all the time. Then I found Raptor (another overhead flight shooter game) which I almost liked better but have no idea why.. just good weapons and fun play. Then later Terminal Velocity .. which I just now find came out AFTER Descent???.. anyway.. sorry but the Doom references kept making me think of games I enjoyed much more.. lol actually I think I found most of these demos on local BBSs.

DoctorPepper
June 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I will forever associate Zaxxon with my C-64! I played that game so much it isn't funny!

DarthKur
June 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I didn't realize that this Vintage Game sub-forum existed. I guess I never scroll down far enough. :p

Anyways, my list would have to be:

C64 - Ghostbusters and Loderunner
TI-99/4A - Munch Man and Parsec
Tandy CoCo - Downland
Atari 800 - DK/DKjr
Apple ][ - Lemonade Stand (probably the first game most people played on their Apple ]['s)
Vic - 20 - Tooth Invaders
IBM PCjr - Shamus
486 - Doom

dreddnott
June 30th, 2008, 10:49 PM
This is a tough one for me, I'll have to say the only one that really evokes a gut-level nostalgic response is the paper airplane game for ye olde Macintoshes.

willowmoon93
July 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
This is a tough one for me, I'll have to say the only one that really evokes a gut-level nostalgic response is the paper airplane game for ye olde Macintoshes.

Wow I totally forgot about that game -- that one was a pretty fun one to play! Thanks for bringing back the memories, senility creeps up on me more often than I'd like it to.

TroyW
July 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
senility creeps up on me more often than I'd like it to.As it does for all of us sadly, I'm often shocked at how much I've forgot over the years! :(