PDA

View Full Version : Global PC drivers?

Floppies_only
April 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi everybody,

As I alluded to in my prior posting, I have acquired a Global PC. This is a circa 2000 or so internet appliance computer. It has a CPU that is like a 486, 8 megs of RAM, and a large hard disk. It runs GEOS on top of DOS and has a word processor and spread sheet. The word processor uses the Microsoft Word file format so I am going to write a story on it and send it to the publisher as an attachement (my Star Trek club - we have a great newsletter).

I was wondering if anybody has drivers or programs for this computer and would be willing to share?

By the way, you can still do email on one of these, if you know all of the values to get from your ISP to set up the PPP program. I doubt that it would be very useful to browse the internet, since HTTP has been improved since this computer was made. But there is a person on eBay who has a bunch of them and is selling them (see item # 280221081310).

Thanks in advance,
Sean

NathanAllan
June 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
I just ran across the same thing, I think. Was it listed as affordable kid's computer or somesuch?

The item number for this one is 280237918243. How is yours doing so far? I just saw this listing from April, so it's been a while. This definitely qualifies as an interesting and odd machine in my book.

Wish I could help, I'm as clueless as anyone else, apparently. have you gotten it to do much??

Nathan

Floppies_only
June 24th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I just ran across the same thing, I think. Was it listed as affordable kid's computer or somesuch?

The item number for this one is 280237918243. How is yours doing so far? I just saw this listing from April, so it's been a while. This definitely qualifies as an interesting and odd machine in my book.

Wish I could help, I'm as clueless as anyone else, apparently. have you gotten it to do much??

Nathan

Red Three to Red Leader... Sorry, couldn't resist :)

My Global PC was listed as an "affordable kids computer" - you've no doubt found the person who sold mine to me. But I actually haven't fiddled around with mine yet. If I ever stop buying so much stuff that I can get a storage unit I will have a place to set the Global PC up and use it.

Sean

squirrel-steam
June 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
"affordable kids comptuer," psh.

A 486 with 8mb of ram, and all you can do is spreadsheet and word processing (you know, the two favorite things kids like to do.) People always market those win 95 p1 computers on craigslist as "great kids computers," or the old pentium 1 laptops on craigslist as "the most powerful comptuer today, with a 150mhz p1 that is faster than most," lol.

Floppies_only
June 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
"affordable kids comptuer," psh.

A 486 with 8mb of ram, and all you can do is spreadsheet and word processing (you know, the two favorite things kids like to do.)

How about a teenager from a disadvantaged family who can't afford their own computer, but still need one because the kid has to do his homework on it? Those come with software and everything you need except the TV or $15 VGA monitor.

Sean