PDA

View Full Version : Dell and Packard Bell computers

kb2syd
April 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Does ANYONE collect these? I have 3 Packard Bells (1 386 and 2 486), and 2 old 486 Dells.

If anyone wants them, I can ship these, but they are HEAVY, I don't have original packing materials, and I am slow.

So, anyone want these old beasties? Just need to cover shipping and the Paypal vig.

They are located in north west New Jersey, USA.

Kelly

IBMMuseum
April 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Does ANYONE collect these? I have 3 Packard Bells (1 386 and 2 486), and 2 old 486 Dells.

If anyone wants them, I can ship these, but they are HEAVY, I don't have original packing materials, and I am slow.

So, anyone want these old beasties? Just need to cover shipping and the Paypal vig.

I know someone whom (amazingly, in my view) collects PBs. Speaking of older Dells, I've got a couple 386SX Dell units. What is the oldest Dell system around?

Unknown_K
April 29th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Dell was PCs Limited when it started (selling XTs I think), changed the name to Dell computer in 1988 or 1989.

Mad-Mike
April 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Dells oldest machine I think I have seen is that PC IIT Wugo on E-bay, PC's Limited I think came around sometime circa 1985-1986ish I think, then came Dell around 1988 or so. I used to have a VGA Monochrome monitor marked PC's Limited, which actually came with a Dell 386 DX/25 system I had, so maybe that was a transitional unit.

Yzzerdd
April 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If I weren't saving for my move this summer(gas!) I'd be all over those Packard Bell 486's.

As for the PCs Limited/Dell, a fellow I know owns a PCs Limited 286, an IBM PC/AT clone. Looks exactly like the real thing but with a different label.

--Ryan
(probably get pics of you guys wanted some)

Unknown_K
April 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Post some pics, that gets people drooling.

vwestlife
May 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I had a "PC's Limited" (yes, the incorrect plural was part of the name; it should be "PCs") amber monochrome (MDA) monitor. The company became Dell in 1988. In the early years, the Dell logo was a plain typeface, without the tilted "E". Dell's OEM for keyboards back then was IBM/Lexmark, so it's not uncommon to see a Model M clicky keyboard with the early Dell logo on it.

I believe Dell was one of the few computer makers to offer a 486SX-16 machine. That was a big joke because you paid a lot to get a 486 which was easily outperformed by a much cheaper 386SX.

Packard Bell had a long-standing reputation as a maker of "cheap" computers, both in price and in quality. Nonetheless, they sold very well until the mid-'90s, and Packard Bell innovated ways to make PCs more beginner-friendly, such as color-coded cables and a simplified user interface shell for Windows (a practice which Microsoft later banned).

vwestlife
May 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Post some pics, that gets people drooling.
Michael Dell with a modern Dell machine and his first PC's Limited model from 1985, clearly built from off-the-shelf parts (the monitor looks like an Amdek).

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07I316Q7N4bub/610x.jpg

Video:
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/15/14876.aspx

Grainy photo of a PC's Limited 286. Wow, 8 MHz!!!!!! :)

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue86/10-1.jpg

Floppies_only
May 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Kelly

Kelly,

Before I won my Pentium I wanted to buy a Packard Bell 486. Do yours have both sizes of floppy disk and a CD-ROM installed? That's what I'm looking for. Also, do they have the restoration disks and drivers?

Thanks,
Sean

kb2syd
May 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Too late. The Packard Bell and Dell 486s have been scrapped. I now have a box full of 486 and pentium motherboards, and a VERY large stack of case parts.

TeamRocketReviews
March 16th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I collect various MS-DOS machines, so the answer is yes. I don't collect Dell or PB specifically, but I'm trying to work out a deal for a Packard Bell PB500 XT clone. The earlier Packard Bell machines aren't that bad, if all you're looking for is a basic XT machine for playing games. As for Dells, those PCs Limited machines are actually pretty nice. As with most XT clones, they're basic, but solid, and they're suitable for most games of the late 80's. The best PC compatibles from the XT and AT era are the Compaq, Amdek, Epson, and other bigger brand machines.

RWallmow
March 16th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I collect various MS-DOS machines, so the answer is yes. I don't collect Dell or PB specifically, but I'm trying to work out a deal for a Packard Bell PB500 XT clone. The earlier Packard Bell machines aren't that bad, if all you're looking for is a basic XT machine for playing games. As for Dells, those PCs Limited machines are actually pretty nice. As with most XT clones, they're basic, but solid, and they're suitable for most games of the late 80's. The best PC compatibles from the XT and AT era are the Compaq, Amdek, Epson, and other bigger brand machines.

You realize this is like almost 4 year old thread you dug up here? That said, check back in the market place or wanted/for sale areas, there's usually people selling/trading stuff around here.