PDA

View Full Version : "Soul of CP/M" by Mitchell Waite and Robert Lafore

Sharkonwheels
April 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
SO I'm perusing this book, seeing what it covers....

Checking out the beginning sections... What the book will teach you...

Get to a section entitled, "8080,8080A,8085, Z-80: What's the difference?"
No problem...all makes sense....

8080 first....8080A was later and faster...OK...no problem...
8085 came later, mentions adding improvements in interrupt handling, OK...I'll buy that...

Next paragraph, page 13, "The Z-80 is another chip from Intel. Although it is also upward compatible with the 8080, it has a considerably enlarged instruction set. Generally speaking, programs written for the 8080, will run on the Z80 as well, although there are exceptions."

Um, Z80 was created by Intel, huh? Wonder what the 'Z' stood for over?

Anyone else ever notice this?

T

Forbin376
May 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Later they shortend their name to just Zilog. I'm not sure if they are still active as a company or not. Later offerings were the Z8 to compete with Intel 8051 series and the Z8000 an early alternative to the 8086 and its follow on chips. I think the confusion stems from the fact that a lot of Intel people whent to Zilog in its early days.

Frank.

Sharkonwheels
May 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Oh am am perfectly versed in who Intel and Zilog are - yes, Zilog still exists, and is at www.zilog.com

I was just curious to see if anyone had noted that glaring mistake, especially considering the book is over 20 years old. i figured someone else MUST have seen it during the last 25 years!!

T

billdeg
May 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
My copy of the book corrects their mistake, First Edition Second Printing. You must have the first printing. That's such a whopper of a mistake, I can't believe that it got past the editors!

Here is the corrected paragraph:

"..The Z-80 is a chip manufactured by Zilog. Although it is also upward compatible with the 8080, it has a considerably enlarged instruction set. Generally speaking, programs written for the 8080 will run on the Z-80 as well, although there are exceptions.."

Bill

Sharkonwheels
May 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
First Edition
First Printing

Funny though, huh? I also find it hard to believe that sentence made it to press....

T

Sergei
June 16th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Sorry for off-topic, comrades!
I am from Russia and I would like to know how do English native speakers pronounce the word "ZiLOG"?
Like [ˈzɪlɒg] or like [ˈzаɪlɒg] or in some other way?

Tor
June 16th, 2011, 02:54 AM
This link points to some Zilog promotional material (audio+video) where 'Zilog' is pronounced several times. The audio is mostly reading out load what's written on the video so it could even be used to learn how to pronounce several other non-common words as well I guess.

http://dkc1.digikey.com/no/en/tod/Zilog/eZ80Acclaim/eZ80Acclaim.html

-Tor

billdeg
June 16th, 2011, 06:55 AM
zI-log rhymes with "bye log"
Bill

Sergei
June 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Thank you very much!
You've just solved the question that had been bothering me for almost half of my life! :D

RickNel
July 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
So it looks like your 1st edition might be a valuable collectors' item - like a misprinted stamp? But not useful for historians

Rick