PDA

View Full Version : Successfully downgraded to Windows98 from Millennium, but...

the fixer
August 8th, 2004, 04:25 AM
I was successful at loading up Windows98 into a computer that was originally running Millennium. Now my problem is during the registration process. It wont accept the "Authenticity Numbers" or Key numbers that came with my Windows98 CD set. Is there a way around this?

Tim Wellman
August 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
There are two versions of Win98... 1st and 2nd edition... the registration numbers from one won't work with the other version. If you bought your version used, or on ebay or something, it might have been repackaged incorrectly (wrong book or numbers for the included disk). There's no 'one' registration number per copy, there are many... and since you do own a legitimate cd, I'd just search google for win98 serial numbers and keep trying them until you find one that works. This is really your only option, I believe Microsoft now charges you $35 for any windows 98 support.

There is a very simple hack you can do to the pidgen.dll file that allows you to enter any numbers at all and it will work, but I can't post it on this board :-) you can search for it and give it a try if you're handy using Debug

CP/M User
August 18th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Of course the alternative is to get Win3.1, works heaps better (on
-any- machine).

Cheers,
CP/M User.

DoctorPepper
October 4th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Of course you can always wipe that Microsoft virus off of your system and go with Linux! ;-)

CP/M User
April 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
"DoctorPepper" wrote:

> Of course you can always wipe that Microsoft virus off of your
> system and go with Linux! ;-)

Or move to CP/M-86 v4.x (DOS Plus 1.2) / GEM if you want a commercial product without the Microsoft stamp of approval on it. OS/2's nice though unfortunately it doesn't follow that rule.

Cheers,
CP/M User.