PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Creek CP/M archive 1994 CD-ROM ISO image

NobodyIsHere
May 4th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Hi,
I had a copy of the Walnut Creek CP/M archive from 1994 on CD-ROM but unfortunately it was damaged. There are several files I cannot access.

Would anyone do me a favor and make an ISO image of the CD-ROM and upload it to an archive?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Sharkonwheels
May 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Walnut Creek at RetroArchive (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/) has the contents.

T

NobodyIsHere
May 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Tony,
Excellent idea! I will use the website cloning tool to just recreate the ISO locally. THANK YOU!

Andrew Lynch

ahm
May 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I will use the website cloning tool to just recreate the ISO locally.

Thought you only needed "several files"?

Anyway, it might be polite to ask Gene (http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/member.php?u=166) before you suck up all his bandwidth.

NobodyIsHere
May 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Good point. Sorry about that Gene!

As for the CD-ROM I currently have, who knows what the versions are and I have no idea if Gene's file set version matches mine. Some files on the CD read occasionally and some won't read at all. My CD has either been damaged or the media is degrading. I have tried reading it on several drives but the results are mixed at best but it consistently won't read the whole thing.

Rather than create a munge of who knows what file versions, I think it'd be better and quicker to just start over with a clean set and rebuild from scratch. I keep the cloning tool on the "friendly" setting to keep the BW reasonable. Hopefully it won't be a problem

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Floppies_only
June 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Walnut Creek at RetroArchive (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/) has the contents.

T

I noticed that the file listing has a directory called "Commodore". Are those files for the Commodore Pet, or some other Commodore computer?

What computers can you use these files on?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

CP/M User
June 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Floppies_only wrote:

I noticed that the file listing has a directory called "Commodore". Are those files for the Commodore Pet, or some other Commodore computer?

What computers can you use these files on?

The files I'm looking at are specific for C64 and C128 computers. For the C64 you'd need the Z80 Cartridge CPU (obviously) to run CP/M on it though! :-D Doesn't the C128 already have that Z80 built-in or am I confuised. C128 generally runs CP/M better from what I hear!

geneb
July 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
No problem on downloading the files - but you might want to stage it a bit. Jay from classiccmp.org is hosting the site for me.

The walnut creek directory is a straight copy from the CD I got years ago.

g.

Zeela
July 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM
The files I'm looking at are specific for C64 and C128 computers. For the C64 you'd need the Z80 Cartridge CPU (obviously) to run CP/M on it though! :-D Doesn't the C128 already have that Z80 built-in or am I confuised. C128 generally runs CP/M better from what I hear!The C28 has a Z80 and runs CP/M fine, but a little slow. And yes, the C128 runs CP/M better than the C64. The CP/M cart for the C64 was an addon, and the CP/M support in the C128 was put in there from the begining.

// Z

carlsson
July 12th, 2008, 02:23 AM
.. but according to the designers, the C128 CP/M mode was an after-construction when a salesman had promised CP/M without checking if the C64 CP/M cartridge would work .. which it didn't so they had to throw in a Z80 etc into the C128.

Zeela
July 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM
.. but according to the designers, the C128 CP/M mode was an after-construction when a salesman had promised CP/M without checking if the C64 CP/M cartridge would work .. which it didn't so they had to throw in a Z80 etc into the C128.After-construction or not, it's still better than the C64 CP/M-cart. Especially a C128 together with a 1571-drive (or a C128D). That's the how I run CP/M for the moment.

// Z

mistamidget
August 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
I have a copy of the "November" 1994 walnut creek CD here, pm me if you want an iso put up on my web site.

Sharkonwheels
August 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
That might be interesting...I've yet to see a "complete" one online, from what I have heard other groaning about...

T

Lawrence Woodman
October 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I know this is a long time after the original question, but I have been searching around for ages to find a complete archive of the Walnut Creek CDROM. All the archives I went to have bits missing, including the one at RetroArchive (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/). The main thing that seems to be missing is the beehive collection.

I have now found a complete iso image of the November 1994 Walnut Creek CDROM at http://www.loomcom.com/cpm/

Hope this helps people.

Lorry

Sharkonwheels
October 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Dude - NICE find! Most of the online copies are in the mid-400MB range, so you kNOW there's stuff missing!

Downloaded THAT puppy!

T

Terry Yager
October 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I think I may be at least partly responsible. I sent out many copies of my disc before I realized that it was kinda corruptie. Most of the ones I see on the net seem to be copies of the same corrupted crap. I have now d/l-ed the .iso, so even I will have a good copy now. As for stuff missing, it ain't necessarily so. The CD is pretty much shovelware, so many of the programs exist in multiple dups on different parts of the disc, so what ain't present in one directory might be located elsewhere.

--T

LizardRock
November 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have a nearly new copy of this CDROM. I would be happy to make copies for postage.

ziloo
November 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM
.....I have now found a complete iso image of the November 1994 Walnut Creek CDROM at http://www.loomcom.com/cpm/

Lorry

"The webpage cannot be found"...grrrrrrr

What the heck happened to this link??

ziloo

wmmullaney
November 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I have a nearly new copy of this CDROM. I would be happy to make copies for postage.

Lizard, could you tell us were you are so we can figure postage?

ziloo
November 18th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I have a copy of the "November" 1994 walnut creek CD here, pm me if you want an iso put up on my web site.

Hello mistamidget,

Would you kindly do that; the other link seems to have disappeared!

Oh wait....your site doesn't seem to respond either:

http://www.candl.com.au/

My gawwwd...sites are disappearing...walls are caving in...
I must get out of here...help me...help m.....

Terry Yager
November 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
In my vast experience, a CDROM in a good mailer costs less than a buck to mail almost anywhere in the USA.

BTW, I have the .iso, which I d/l-ed from one of the above sites. Anybody wanna volunteer some webspace to post it for posterity (and whoever else might want it)?

--T

wmmullaney
November 19th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I would if it's less than 400 or 500 MB.

kb2syd
November 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I could host it too. Did you want the ISO hosted, or the files individually, or both?

Kelly

Terry Yager
November 19th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Whatever ya got. I'll burn a couple copies and send 'em out. Pm me with snailing addresses.

--T

LizardRock
November 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
It was late here and I wasn't thinking. Send your address to:

crcamper at gmail dot com

If there are too many I may ask some to resend to others.

Sorry

kb2syd
December 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
The ISO is online and you can browse the contents. .bat, .exe and .com files cannot be viewed or downloaded individually.

http://www.catcorner.org/cpm

Try and be gentle.
Kelly

ziloo
December 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well done kelly :)! Thank you for all your efforts...:happy3:

ziloo

Dr_Acula
December 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
What a great present to put under the tree. Thankyou for the archive.

I just got a serial interface for a SD card http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=22 Up to 2Gb of storage and the absolute most simplest serial interface imaginable. You don't even have to program the baud rate - just send it a single character at the baud rate you want.

I think it should just need a bit of Z80 machine code to turn it into a 64Mb drive for the N8VEM. Then it should be possible to have pretty much everything ever written for CP/M on one board...

Dr_Acula
January 10th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I would like to say a big thankyou to kb2syd for hosting that ISO. It took a day to download but works fine. But buried in the files were two little programs that have proved absolutely marvellous. See the attached photo - this is a network setup of 4 CP/M boards. 3 of them have little LCD displays, and one has a keyboard plugged in. The aim here is to build a network. The boards with 4 serial ports can act as routers, and boards can accept input from an old school serial terminal, or a terminal program on a PC (or indeed, a local keyboard).

The first board decides it wants a directory listing from the second board. It can send the characters "D" "I" "R" <CR> with a suitable typematic delay (30ms or so) and the second board responds by printing out a listing. The only problem with that is that the length of that listing is unknown, and particularly with radio, it is much more reliable to send data as packets (eg using xmodem) with proper error checking and packet resend etc.

Enter the first little program on the Walnut Creek archive, which can do a DIR and save it to a file. Then send that file using xmodem.

The second useful program is an mbasic program to chain another .com program with a save to a $$$.sub file. It is only a few lines, but this opens up huge possibilities for programs to chain each other. Writing lots of little programs that are known to work is sometimes easier than one big program. You can even save a .sub file, then chain that, and the .sub file can end by running the original program again.

Both of these programs are proving invaluable in this network experiment. So thankyou again for that archive!

kb2syd
January 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Gosh, gee..

Um, you're welcome. Hasn't been too much of a load on the bandwidth. Please don't take that as a challange.

Kelly

kb2syd
December 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
The ISO is online and you can browse the contents. .bat, .exe and .com files cannot be viewed or downloaded individually.

http://www.catcorner.org/cpm

Try and be gentle.
Kelly

This is now available via anonymous ftp at ftp.catcorner.org. You can now grab any of the files.

Still a home DSL line so please think before downloading the entire archive. If that's what you want, grab the ISO and burn your own.

Kelly