PDA

View Full Version : Geos Desktop 1.5

Floppies_only
May 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Gang,

Somebody is selling GEOS DESKTOP 1.5 on eBay. It comes with a manual and one disk. Since it only has one disk, it must be different than GEOS. Does anybody know what this does?

Thanks,
Sean

carlsson
May 12th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Perhaps it is a hand optimized version of GEOS 1.X which fits on one floppy, or some add-on? Sorry to say I have never ventured into the land of GEOS, so I don't know much about it. Nowadays you can legally download it for free, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things than exploring a 20 year old graphical desktop system.

Floppies_only
May 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Perhaps it is a hand optimized version of GEOS 1.X which fits on one floppy, or some add-on? Sorry to say I have never ventured into the land of GEOS, so I don't know much about it. Nowadays you can legally download it for free, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things than exploring a 20 year old graphical desktop system.

Good morning, Anders.

I think my favorite thing to do on a computer is to use a graphical user interface that uses very little system resources. That's why I want to get Works for Windows version one. You can run it on a computer with 640k of RAM and a ten megabyte harddrive. Light.

I am pulling an all nighter here. I believe that after I read those instructions that you showed me I will use my REU to speed up making three copies of all of my GEOS disks with Maverick. Then after that (probably on a different day) I will give GEOS word processing a shot without the REU. the idea of a 64k wsywig word processor blows my mind - in a good way :)

What is your favorite thing to do?

Sean

P.S.: I got another Commodore program that lets GEOS print letter quality on a non-commodore printer, too. The printer is on the way and the "Super Graphix" came with the '64.

carlsson
May 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Now when I have a closer look, GEOS 1.5 is an earlier version (duh!) than the GEOS 2.0 you can buy or download from Click Here Software. It is possible that all GEOS 1.X releases (1985-87) only came on one floppy, and the operating system grew larger with the 2.0 release from 1988/89.

So, version 1.5 is unique in terms of being an earlier version than you can obtain in other ways.

What I'd rather like to do if I have time to kill? Well, perhaps develop my own retro software or play an old game. I do recognize your fascination about productivity software with a small footprint. You may want to get an old Amiga to compare; with a 7 MHz 68K, 1-2 MB of memory and dual floppy drives (no hard drive) you got a rather useful base system for word processing, programming and other tasks.

Floppies_only
May 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I do recognize your fascination about productivity software with a small footprint. You may want to get an old Amiga to compare; with a 7 MHz 68K, 1-2 MB of memory and dual floppy drives (no hard drive) you got a rather useful base system for word processing, programming and other tasks.

Why, yes. I remember a person who had one in 1988. He used it to create a newsletter. Desk Top Publishing is in my mind something to be respected. But I have a special place in my heart for GEOS because (for at least the IBM version) it was coded in machine language. Efficient. Another neat thing about it is that it has the "look and feel" of Macintosh, which is intuitive.

In fact, I just discovered that I can't scratch the unnessesary printer files on my Paperclip disk (I followed the instructions in the manual). Rather than get heartburn I will simply wait until I can do it with GEOS.

Commodore DOS is, ummm, a little weird to a person used to MS-DOS. :)

Sean, off to read those instructions for the REU

carlsson
May 12th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Since the "operating system" is Basic rather than a DOS prompt, you'll have to use Basic commands:

OPEN 1,8,15
PRINT#1,"S0:FILENAME"
CLOSE 1

If you load the DOS Wedge from the 1541 Test/Demo floppy disk, it will add the @ command which is a shortcut to send commands to the drive. Most of the newer utility cartridges have a such wedge built-in as well.

vwestlife
May 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have GEOS 1.5 for the C64 and it does boot and run from a single floppy disk. However, there are extra utilities, printer drivers, etc., which come on additional disks, so the entire package is more than just one disk.

Floppies_only
May 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Since the "operating system" is Basic rather than a DOS prompt, you'll have to use Basic commands:

OPEN 1,8,15
PRINT#1,"S0:FILENAME"
CLOSE 1

Now I understand. The 1541 manual gives the syntax for these commands, but it doesn't define the actual values. I.e.: useless.

But I was able to make room on the disk for more document files. I would be able to start work on my book now, but my two disk drives are not letting me insert the Paperclip disk. I do have another 1541 on the way and I won a 1571 on eBay, so I will try to use them when they arrive.

My Maverick copy program has fast disk routines built into it. It can copy a disk in about a minute. It can soft wire drives, as well.

Thanks for your help,
Sean

carlsson
May 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
You mean your drives won't read the disk, or that you can't insert it physically? :-o

Floppies_only
May 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
You mean your drives won't read the disk, or that you can't insert it physically? :-o

Back before I wrote that it was that I couldn't physically insert the disk. A little later I was able to, but by then writer's block had set in, so I decided I would wait until this afternoon or tomorrow to write something.

Sean

carlsson
May 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you. Previously you have both run the software and deleted files (!) from the Paperclip master disk, and today it no longer fitted in the disk drive, so you need to buy two more disk drives?!?

billdeg
May 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM
remember that GEOS 1.5 must use the original disk, not a copy, unless you have a hacked copy. I have actually hacked my copy so I could use it without the original disk.

Have fun.

Floppies_only
May 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
remember that GEOS 1.5 must use the original disk, not a copy, unless you have a hacked copy. I have actually hacked my copy so I could use it without the original disk.

Have fun.

I hope to copy my GEOS 2.0 boot disk with Maverick. That way, as the disks wear out over the years, I can, if it works, make new boot disks.

I plan to use my Commodore to write snailmail with. That way I can write everything that's going on in my life one time and print it out as many times as needed. So I don't have to repeat myself when I call people.

Sean

Floppies_only
May 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you. Previously you have both run the software and deleted files (!) from the Paperclip master disk, and today it no longer fitted in the disk drive, so you need to buy two more disk drives?!?

Anders,

I am going to keep trying to use the existing floppies until the new ones come. But when they do (one each 1541 and 1571 - already bought) I am going to use them. I will save the old ones for some date in the future when Commodore floppies are expensive enough to make it feasable to pay somebody to repair the old ones.

Sounds good?

Sean

P.S.: I would have answered this post sooner, but my cell phone always took me to the wrong place when I followed the link in the email.