PDA

View Full Version : simple file-transfer mbasic source code?

cfenton
May 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM
So i'm faced with the dreaded "bootstrapping" problem again...I now have my Kaypro 2'84 up and running with cp/m, and copies of mbasic, obasic, sbasic and cbasic (i've only actually used mbasic), and all of that works fine, but I still have no method of getting software onto my machine aside from typing it in. So, my question goes out to the group:

Does anyone have source code for a really simple file-transfer program that would let me send files from my desktop to the kaypro?

I could probably write it myself, but there is no use reinventing the wheel if someone knows of something already in existence. I have a null-modem cable hooked up already, and I know it works fine because i can use TERM to connect to my linux box as a dumb terminal.

MikeS
May 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM
TERM can't send & receive files?

If you can type in a program then presumably the desktop could also type it in?

There is a patch to PIP out there that adds comm as a device.

If someone can send you an image of a disk with a proper telcomm program on it, you could use Dave Dunfield's IMD or CPT program to put it on the Kaypro and then use that.

Tony should have some answers for ya; Shark, where are ya?

m

cfenton
May 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Nope, TERM is a dumb terminal only, as far as I can tell. Interesting development . . . . I found what appears to be a terminal/file transfer program called "stdow.com" on one of the disks. When I load it up, it says "ST v 5D Command? (<ESC>/Break/Cmdfile/Dial/List/Print/Recv/Send/term/Quit)?"

Does anyone have any documentation for this program? I googled but couldn't find anything for it, and I've never actually had to use a serial file transfer program before.

ziloo
May 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
...Does anyone have source code for a really simple file-transfer program that would let me send files from my desktop to the kaypro?...

"Simple"...I don't know, but how about this:

http://www.z80.eu/kermit.html

ziloo

cfenton
May 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Does nobody know how to use the "st.com" terminal software? It was on a disk marked "Kaypro 4/84 files". I know it has a "receive file" option, but I can't figure out how to use it (i.e. what protocol it is using).

vbriel
May 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
This is what I did to get software on my Ferguson with CP/M 2.2.

Go to Dave Dunfield's site and download Imagedisk:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

Install a 5.25" drive on your PC. If you don't have, I'm sure somebody here has a little 1.2M 5.25" drive and even the cable, just ask.

Next, open up Imagedisk and make an image file of your disk.

Find, disk images with software out there to load onto disks.

Find 22disk to load single files onto a image or disk. The key is you need a 5.25" drive attached to a PC and it is a breeze. I tried 2 different 5.25" drives and both worked great and my images were 8" images and if they work, most will.

I'm sure there is a way to do file transferring via serial port but why?

Vince

cfenton
May 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I spent about 2 months trying unsuccessfully to get a 5.25" floppy to work in my desktop, and I *have* a working CP/M computer, and a null-modem cable, and a terminal program with a "file receive" option. I just don't know the proper syntax! oy!

ziloo
May 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Here is another lead:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?p=59367

Eugeneman might be your man for exchanging all kinds of information...

ziloo

Mike Chambers
May 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
So i'm faced with the dreaded "bootstrapping" problem again...I now have my Kaypro 2'84 up and running with cp/m, and copies of mbasic, obasic, sbasic and cbasic (i've only actually used mbasic), and all of that works fine, but I still have no method of getting software onto my machine aside from typing it in. So, my question goes out to the group:

Does anyone have source code for a really simple file-transfer program that would let me send files from my desktop to the kaypro?

I could probably write it myself, but there is no use reinventing the wheel if someone knows of something already in existence. I have a null-modem cable hooked up already, and I know it works fine because i can use TERM to connect to my linux box as a dumb terminal.

i've never used MBASIC, but have tons of QB45 experience. i don't know how compatible that is with MBASIC, but here is what i'd write if i wanted to simply transfer a file over a COM port with no frills in QB.

INPUT "Filename to send: ", filename$
OPEN filename$ FOR BINARY AS #1
OPEN "COM1:9600,8,N,1" FOR RANDOM AS #2
PRINT "The file is "; LOF(1); "bytes long."
PRINT "Prepare the remote terminal to receive the data file and hit enter to begin, or ESC to exit..."
DO
SELECT CASE inkey$
CASE CHR$(13)
EXIT DO
CASE CHR$(27)
CLOSE
END
END SELECT
LOOP

DO UNTIL EOF(1)
a$ = space$(100)
GET #1, , a$
PUT #2, , a$
LOOP
CLOSE

PRINT "File transfer complete."
END

Thrashbarg
May 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
If you can get something that will save Intel HEX records as COM files you can transfer a copy of Kermit and use that to transfer other files.

Instructions are here, http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/cpm.html

The other option, if the Kaypro has a HEX loader in ROM (maybe not, does it work over a serial port?), is to load CP/M, break into the monitor, load the hex files and jump to 0100h. This should get you into Kermit to transfer other files.

James0555
May 29th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Nope, TERM is a dumb terminal only, as far as I can tell. Interesting development . . . . I found what appears to be a terminal/file transfer program called "stdow.com" on one of the disks. When I load it up, it says "ST v 5D Command? (<ESC>/Break/Cmdfile/Dial/List/Print/Recv/Send/term/Quit)?"

Does anyone have any documentation for this program? I googled but couldn't find anything for it, and I've never actually had to use a serial file transfer program before.

I assume these are you options why not try putting it in term mode and hooking to your computer (PC) and using something like Hyperterminal or Procomm and since I guessing you don't know what the Kaypro's serial port is set for is to try different baud rates (I'd start with 300 or 2400 since most modems back then were slow) and then try different setting for Data Bits/Parity/Stop Bits/Flow Control and type in a few letters on one or the other at some point you should get something even if it is garbled but you should be able to find the proper connetion at some point.

Good Luck