PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Model III is this?

Vint
May 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ok I'm confused here.
Today I'm watching this auction of eBay for what was listed as, I quote;

Up for auction is a vintage Radio Shack TRS80 Model III computer with manuals and dot matrix printer. Also included are diskettes and a diskette storage case.

I put a picture of this thing in an album here;

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=1

Now, to be sure this is one fine looking Model III, to my eyes anyway:)
Notice though, instead of a Radio Shack logo between the disk drives they have a 'DataTrak' and also the bezel around the keyboard is white! Go figure.
What's going on here? Is this a Radio Shack Model III or what?
I really liked the looks, far better than a standard Model III, but since I live in Ohio and this auction was in Texas - the shipping charge would have been $90. according to the seller. That left me out of the picture for sure. What blew me away was that this fine machine went for $26. Even has one of those old expensive dot matrix Radio Shack printers in there. Somebody got themselves a fine looking machine.
Now, does anyone know what that 'DataTrak' business is all about?

Druid6900
May 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Some companies back then sold "turn-key" systems using Tandy equipment and I believe one of them was a company called DataTrak (in the US) that sold some medical record keeping software.

Since it is fawn beige (instead of the Model III Mercedes Grey) and with the orange reset button, it's more likely a Model 4. It seems that a white bezel was just placed over the standard bezel, the RAM badge pried off and put on the overlay and the other badge replaced with their own.

Vint
May 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Some companies back then sold "turn-key" systems using Tandy equipment

Thanks Dru. - It's nice to be around folks 'in the know' :)

I appreciate your input.

mbbrutman
May 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Keyboard is wrong for a Model 4 - a Model 4 would have three function keys at the top of the keypad.

Vint
May 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Since it is fawn beige (instead of the Model III Mercedes Grey) and with the orange reset button, it's more likely a Model 4.

I've just been looking through an old 1984 Radio Shack catalog and I ran across this Model 4.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=2

Seeing that this keyboard used on the Model 4 is quite different than the one on the DataTrak which by all looks is using a Model 3 keyboard I have to say that the DataTrak unit must be a Model 3.

Druid6900
May 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Could well be, or it could be a Model 4 with a Model III keyboard. The III keyboard would have worked on the 4, and, with the exception of the extra white keys, the 4 keyboard would have worked on the III.

The extra keys could have allowed the user to break the program and get into DOS and be able to do something the company didn't want you to be able to do.

That could be why it has a "sub-bezel"; to cover the holes in the original bezel where all the extra keys were. Locking out the break key was easy. Some of the other keys might not have been.

Buying Model III keyboards makes more sense than trying to get Tandy to make white cases for you.