PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64 Variants

Rick Ethridge
August 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I was given two C=64's One has grey-brown function keys; the other has orange-colored keys similar to the VIC-20. They both have eight pin video out connectors. Why is this? Doing a google search I determined there was a later model C=64, after the 64C with the same case as the original bullet-nose but colored white. Any reasons why? BTW They both run fine. Which should I use most?

vic user
August 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM
from what i know, there were some variations of keyboard design.

the 64c used white keys, and the breadbox 64's used colours like the vic (chocolate coloured etc..)

not only colour, but some keyboards have the special characters on the sides of the keys (the most common), and some keyboards have the special characters on the top part of the keys.

i have 3 64's, (including the orange vic function keys and also the grey ones you mention), and none of them have the same coloured keys,

also, the keybaord is fully compatible with the vic 20 keyboard (as they are the same thing :) expect for the colour of the keys.

so it is common for people to swap keyboards around.

i would just use whatever 64 looks most appealing to you

chris

carlsson
August 30th, 2004, 02:55 AM
I'm not even sure you can determine board revision etc based on the keyboard even if it was not replaced. The s/n on the back side should give a little hint which is older, and if you bother opening the units you should certainly be able to read a lot of numbers off the motherboard.

The final white C64G (IIRC) breadbox model, was probably a combination of nostalgy value and surplus motherboards after the keyboard-less C64GS model had been cancelled.

I don't know if a more recent revision runs cooler or better, but one thing the gourmets (?) take great value of is the SID version - old, new or other. In particular playing samples will sound different between the old 6581 and newer 8580 chips.

SunDown79
January 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I am expecting a C64G soon, anyone want info when I get it in ?

Luzur
January 26th, 2009, 01:33 AM
The final white C64G (IIRC) breadbox model, was probably a combination of nostalgy value and surplus motherboards after the keyboard-less C64GS model had been cancelled.

wasnt it kinda reduced teknological too? im sure i heard something like that from someone.