PDA

View Full Version : Anybody collect old WANG machines

dcymbal
August 30th, 2004, 05:51 AM
I recently rescued a WANG PC-280 (apparently a 286 based system, PC compatible I am assuming). Does anybody collect WANG hardware that would be interested in this beast. Let mw know if so.

CP/M User
August 31st, 2004, 03:23 AM
"dcymbal" wrote:

> I recently rescued a WANG PC-280 (apparently a 286 based
> system, PC compatible I am assuming). Does anybody collect
> WANG hardware that would be interested in this beast. Let mw
> know if so.

Gaby Chaundry may or may not be interested. She already has a Wang computer, but it's from an earlier period. She might brand this as a home computer (she's after Business - but I don't know if IBM Compatables do or do not come under that). She may only be able to help you if you're in Europe somewhere.

Her website is here:
http://www.gaby.de/ehome.htm

Cheers,
CP/M User.

tachyon
August 31st, 2004, 07:00 AM
The real question is does it have the monitor? If it does, I may be able to make space for it. The monochrome displays were proprietary, while the color displays could use third party monitors... maybe. The Wang PC line was their replacement for the Wang 2200 series of machines. It would run WangWriter, which was a popular dedicated word processing package for their hardware.

It was not PC compatible, but was disk and file compatible. If your software would run on generic MS-DOS, it would run on the Wang. If not, you were SOL.

-tachyon

carlsson
August 31st, 2004, 09:53 AM
I remember using a Wang PC (or maybe APC?) in college. It came with an IBM PC emulation disk, so at first it booted in native mode and by loading the emulator, it would operate as a IBM PC (or maybe XT?). I was too young to get a good grip about it, but it had lots of connectors on the back side, including some video through which took EGA input IIRC. Unfortunately, the monitor imploded (!) one day, and after that, I think the whole computer was dumped, particulary due to its users were not interested in antiques but rather the latest hardware (Pentium 1 at that day).

Graphics wise this machine was interesting, in Wang mode it supported 320x200x16 colours or 640x200x4 colours, but IBM PC mode emulated the CGA modes. I'm not good enough on the low-end EGA modes to identify if the graphics chip had been able to emulate EGA too, but probably it was just in the middle (I know about 640x350, but other than that...?)