PDA

View Full Version : 386SX with CMOS battery soldered on

rtl
June 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
This is on behalf of a family member whose 'vital' office computer will not boot anymore. It often gives a message that the battery is dead. As I walked him thru troubleshooting over the phone, he could not find a battery. So he has taken this "Austin Computer Systems" 386sx to a repair shop. They found the battery soldered on the mobo however, apparently there are no markings on it as to voltage. I have not been able to find any specs on this board. Can anyone advise if a typical 3.3V battery will work? I don't think it has one of those Dallas DS1287 clock chip (see thread "CMOS battery mystery"), but I don't really know for sure...but will try to find out.
rl.

vwestlife
June 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
If it looks like a miniature "barrel" then it is 3.6 volts.

http://www.cables4computer.com/images/large/BAT-2090.jpg

Druid6900
June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I've seen some coin batteries soldered in as well, in fact, I was just looking at a MoBo with one the other day.

If it looks like a quarter, it's 3V.

Both are still readily available though.

squirrel-steam
June 6th, 2008, 06:24 AM
My DSI 386 has one of the soldered on barrel battery, it was 3.6V, but i modified to use a 3.3V watch battery, works just fine.

Unknown_K
June 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Plenty of 386 systems also had a 4 pin header next to the battery for an external battery.

modem7
June 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Plenty of 386 systems also had a 4 pin header next to the battery for an external battery.
Noting that some of those motherboards also have a jumper to select whether the 'internal' battery or the 'external' battery is used.

MikeS
June 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Probably not a good idea to replace a Li button cell with a NiCd though...

m