PDA

View Full Version : IBM DOS v4.0 OS ???

stephanie
September 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM
:D :?: :

Hello, all

I have about 200 papers I wrote years ago on an IBM DOS 4.0 OS with MS Word for DOS 4.0 and 5.0. Several of these papers were highly formatted with footnotes, indexes, various font sizes and styles, etc. I have these papers on floppys discs. I am able to open most of the files through wondos OS and current MS Word, but some files appear corrupted and the formatting is totally lost.

How do I go about obtaining (in the easiest fashion) an IBM DOS 4.0 OS ? I have most of the necessary Word for DOS discs, but I need to load the old IBM DOS OS on a box to run it.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Stephanie

Erik
September 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Basically what you need is either a proper DOS 4 box (probably a 286 or maybe a 386) or a version of Word that will convert those documents properly.

I'd think the latter is easier. If you can find an older Word for Windows version and run it on, say, a 486 or Pentium based machine running Windows 3.1, you could probably read and convert the files.

Saving in the newer format you'd then be able to transfer them to a current Windows machine and the latest Word should understand them better.

Erik

Tim Wellman
September 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
I'd say your older DOS version of Word should run on any version of dos... you can find a dos 5 bootdisk here
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I run MSWord 5.5 for dos on MS-Dos 6.22 and it does fine

any of those dos boot disks should work for you, if you have a portion of your hard disk formatted to be readable by dos... it won't read the typical windows xp formatted harddrive. Just boot with the floppy you create from that site, and word should work fine... I actually thought older dos versions of word would work in a dos window in windows xp... it should... give it a try first, if you haven't

stephanie
September 3rd, 2004, 11:13 AM
Many, many thanks, Tim

So, there should be no essential difference between IBM and MS DOS?

This program is circa approximately 1988-92 ish

Steph

Tim Wellman
September 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
nope, there's no difference... for the most part of the 80's, Microsoft made PC-DOS, and it was just branded by IBM... all dos should be compatable, and all newer versions are mostly backwards compatable with earlier versions. as long as you have a fat16 partition on your harddrive, any dos version should be able to work... but, even a fat 32 partition, and using a standard bootup disk for windows 9x might be enough dos to run your old version of Word

you might even get word to work under dosbox, the dos emulator for windows
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

but still, I'd just try it under the windows you're using to see if it works... word 5.5 works in a dos window in windows xp, I don't see a reason why Word 4 or 5 wouldn't work as well

Erik
September 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
So, there should be no essential difference between IBM and MS DOS?

The only difference between PC DOS and the same versioned MS DOS is that the IBM product expected that BASIC was in ROM on the machine (which should be an IBM PC/XT/AT/PS2.)

MS DOS had all of BASIC on the disk. None of that matters for Word or anything other than BASIC applications.

Erik

stephanie
September 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Excellent, Eric

I thank you very much.

Regards,

Stephanie

CP/M User
September 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
"Erik" wrote:

>> So, there should be no essential difference between IBM
>> and MS DOS?

> The only difference between PC DOS and the same versioned
> MS DOS is that the IBM product expected that BASIC was in
> ROM on the machine (which should be an IBM PC/XT/AT/PS2.)

I believe PC-DOS has some minor differences on the command line.
I used PC-DOS on my 386 & some of the programs are different
from the M$-DOS version.

Cheers,
CP/M User.