PDA

View Full Version : Winamp drops support for Windows 98/ME

vwestlife
June 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I found out today that as of version 5.50, Winamp will no longer run on Windows 98(SE) or ME. :mad:

Winamp 5.50 installs successfully on 98/ME, but crashes when you try to run it.

Winamp 5.51 and 5.52 give a message saying that your version of Windows is "no longer supported" when you try to install them on 98/ME.

Winamp 5.531 crashes with a Windows error message when you try to install it on 98/ME.

None of this is made clear on Winamp's download page. You have to look in the FAQ to see that the latest version now requires Windows 2000 or higher. No link is provided to download a previous version that works on 98/ME; you have to go to a third-party site like Winamp Heaven (http://www.winampheaven.net/).

The last version of Winamp to run at all on 98/ME is 5.36 Beta. However, several features relating to CD playback and CD burning were broken for 98/ME users as of 5.35, so the last Winamp version to fully work on 98/ME is 5.34. Or, you can install 5.35 or 5.36 Beta and then copy over the in_cd*.dll files from 5.34.

In fact, the one good thing is that Winamp's DLL files are highly backwards-compatible, at least up through 5.3x. I have Winamp 2.95 on my 98SE computer, but I've upgraded it with the input, output, and DSP plugin DLLs from 5.35.

The Winamp developers claim that maintaining 98/ME compatibility was keeping them from implementing new features -- mostly frills that Winamp users don't want or need anyway (otherwise, wouldn't we just use Windows Media Player instead!?). The "Full" version of 5.531 is now over a 10 MB download, compared to 1.2 MB for the "Lite" version of 5.35! :eek:

Vlad
June 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
It kinda makes sense they would drop support for a version of Windows that even MS doesn't support anymore. For what its worth MS dropped support for 98SE July 11, 2006 so Nullsoft still made Winamp for a few years after it was killed off by MS. Oddly enough, ME was unsupported as of the same date and Windows 2000 will be supported until 2010 VIA the Extended Support program. Basically, MS wanted to drop support of anything not using the NT kernel, so all thats left is 2k and up.

vwestlife
June 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
MS has not dropped all support for 98/ME. You can still use Windows Update to download and install all of the bug fixes and security updates that MS has released to date. New fixes and updates are not being released any longer, but once you bring it up to spec, it's pretty much as close to perfect as a Microsoft product can be. :p 98/ME also still supports the most popular version of MSIE in use today (6.0x), so for Internet use, it's far from obsolete. (I think what ultimately forced a lot of people out of Windows 95 is the fact that IE 6.0 doesn't support it.) IE6 also works on NT 4.0 as long as you have Service Pack 6A installed.

And according to some statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems), Windows 98 and ME (combined) actually have more users than Linux... which certainly doesn't speak well of Linux's actual market share, versus the amount of hype it gets!

Microsoft will also soon begin killing off Windows XP. As of June 30th this year, they will no longer sell it to major PC makers, although some brands like Dell plan to continue offering it by letting you get a free "downgrade" from Vista to XP on a new computer. Sales of XP to smaller retailers and system builders is planned to end on January 31st, 2009. Here is Microsoft's disturbingly sappy "feel-good" take on the situation ("We love that you love Windows XP"):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/future.mspx

Vlad
June 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
New fixes and updates are not being released any longer,

Which is exactly what dropping support means, they are no longer fixing it nor will they help you troubleshoot.

And according to some statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems), Windows 98 and ME (combined) actually have more users than Linux... which certainly doesn't speak well of Linux's actual market share, versus the amount of hype it gets!
So? Whats Linux have to do with Nullsoft or MS not supporting Windows 98 or ME anymore?

Microsoft will also soon begin killing off Windows XP. As of June 30th this year, they will no longer sell it to major PC makers, although some brands like Dell plan to continue offering it by letting you get a free "downgrade" from Vista to XP on a new computer. Sales of XP to smaller retailers and system builders is planned to end on January 31st, 2009. Here is Microsoft's disturbingly sappy "feel-good" take on the situation ("We love that you love Windows XP"):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/future.mspxThey stop selling it in 2009, that all that means. XP will still be fully supported with new updates until April 8th, 2014, not really the near future. You found the Release Life Cycle, what you're looking for is the Support Life Cycle.

vwestlife
June 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
So? Whats Linux have to do with Nullsoft or MS not supporting Windows 98 or ME anymore?
It proves that if you're going to say that "nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore," as some of the WinAmp developers have, then you have to say the same thing about Linux.

Vlad
June 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
It proves that if you're going to say that "nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore," as some of the WinAmp developers have, then you have to say the same thing about Linux.

I never said such a thing, it never crossed my mind either. What makes you think I was going to say anything about Linux? All I said was I can understand why Nullsoft stopped supporting those versions of Windows since Microsoft themselves have. Linux was never part of the conversation until you brought it up.

It proves that if you're going to say "nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore," I find that slightly offensive. Please, point out where I was going to say that. I can't see why you felt justified to make a borderline flame at me about Linux when the discussion was about Winamp and Microsoft Windows.

Druid6900
June 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Vlad, I don't thing he meant YOU, specifically, but, more, you, generally (as in them people out there that have said that)

vwestlife
June 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Vlad, I don't thing he meant YOU, specifically, but, more, you, generally (as in them people out there that have said that)
I was talking about the Winamp developers who have said that:

if you're going to say that "nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore," as some of the WinAmp developers have

Vlad
June 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
It proves that if you're going to say that
You're being a contraction for you are made it if you are going to say that in a post replied to me making me think it was directed at myself. Yay confusion XD

"nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore," as some of the WinAmp developers have, then you have to say the same thing about Linux.You might be surprised how many of our visitors are still using Windows 98. I don't think I've seen ME before unless it has an off the wall user agent string, but I've counted at least 5-6 users that still use 98. For what its worth, I still know of at least one factory out there that as a Win 98SE box for a program that will not run on anything but 98SE. If I remember right, it was proprietary software that controlled a Plasma Cutter. Wow!

carlsson
June 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
As regarding Windows XP, it may be available for sale a while longer as the ultra-small, cheap portable computers like Asus Eee PC and MSI Wind appear on the market. These are too weak for Vista, but can run a slimmed down version of XP somewhat fine, or alternatively Linux. I read that Microsoft expects these small laptops to take a fair market share and don't want to leave it to custom Linux installations, thus extending Windows XP at least to the "integrated" market for a while longer.

vwestlife
June 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You're being a contraction for you are made it if you are going to say that in a post replied to me making me think it was directed at myself. Yay confusion XD
Sorry, I should have been more clear, such as "those who say nobody uses or cares about Windows 98/ME anymore..."

FWIW, what I'm most upset about is how Nullsoft totally botched the release of Winamp 5.50. Windows 98/ME users who unsuspectingly installed it over their existing version were greeted with a Winamp that crashes upon startup, forcing a complete reinstallation of their previous version. :mad:

Vlad
June 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, thats poor practice. They should have said something on the website or at least a pop up on the installer.

MikeS
June 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
As regarding Windows XP, it may be available for sale a while longer as the ultra-small, cheap portable computers like Asus Eee PC and MSI Wind appear on the market. These are too weak for Vista, but can run a slimmed down version of XP somewhat fine, or alternatively Linux. I read that Microsoft expects these small laptops to take a fair market share and don't want to leave it to custom Linux installations, thus extending Windows XP at least to the "integrated" market for a while longer.
---
XP Home, another two years until June 2010.

m

MikeS
June 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vlad:
--------
Ah, you *enjoy* confusion; that explains why you write sentences like the above and misunderstand and take offence at innocuous sentences that are clear to the rest of us. I get it now.

m

vwestlife
June 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
You might be surprised how many of our visitors are still using Windows 98. I don't think I've seen ME before unless it has an off the wall user agent string, but I've counted at least 5-6 users that still use 98. For what its worth, I still know of at least one factory out there that as a Win 98SE box for a program that will not run on anything but 98SE. If I remember right, it was proprietary software that controlled a Plasma Cutter. Wow!
A lot of industrial hardware and engineering electronics still can only be controlled from Windows 9x/ME because the application requires direct access to the hardware, which XP and Vista do not allow (everything has to go through the Windows API). Also there are still some motherboards in production with ISA slots, for industrial machinery which requires an ISA controller and would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace.

CD ripping also seems to have taken a big hit in XP/Vista due to the lack of direct hardware access. Using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) in ME, I can get fully error/jitter-corrected CD ripping speeds of over 30X on a "52X" drive. The fastest I can get in XP using the same drive is about 10X. This is the main reason why I installed ME on my "audio" computer (an Athlon 1.4 GHz with 512MB RAM), eventually to use used as an audio streaming server once I get my full CD collection ripped in and categorized (I've got about 100 CDs done so far, with another 200 or so yet to go).