PDA

View Full Version : Os or emulator for 286/640 - floppybased

lindtext
September 9th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Hi,

I have two pc 286 with 640 kb ram and no harddisk. I have tried to run Elks-linux on it and it works, but I cannot do much with it. So I wonder if someone has a good idea of some old OS or emulator that is floppy based and would make those two machines more 'fun' to play with.

I have been surfing around for c64 emulators but they all need bigger PC.

Its diffiucult to find any harddisk that will fit into the configurations and I have 'philosophy' of keeping the PC I collect as close to the original as possible.

So - good ideas of a floppy based os/emulator/games etc would be very usefull.

Arne :-)

Terry Yager
September 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM
You can d/l an old version of DOS here:

http://webpages.charter.net/tyger69/default.htm/comp_dos.zip

It is for a Compaq '286, but should work for you. You'll need a machine with 360Kb drive to recreate the images to disk.

--T

tachyon
September 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM
If your machines are IBM PC 286 machines, the 'standard' configuration would have been 1 or 2 half height 360k disk drives in the LH bay and one full or half height 20mb or 30mb MFM hard drive in the RH bay. If your machine didn't come with a hard drive, it may be interesting to find a standard size MFM controller card since most (though not all) 16 bit IBM cards were AT size. Later IBM's had ESDI or IDE interfaces on the motherboard.

Tom

lither
September 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Hi,

I have two pc 286 with 640 kb ram and no harddisk. I have tried to run Elks-linux on it and it works, but I cannot do much with it. So I wonder if someone has a good idea of some old OS or emulator that is floppy based and would make those two machines more 'fun' to play with.

Have you considered diskless booting? I have several XT and 286 machine. Due to the unstable old MFM drive , i couldnt make much use of them.Recently i bought a box of ten netcards from the ebay and one of them had a bootrom. after duplicating the bootrom and building a NT4 server on a old K6 machine, i have converted all my XT and 286 machine into remoteboot workstation. Now the booting was very smooth , the only question now is that some of the old programs could not recognize the NT's "big hadrdisk "
I have read some documentation on the internet . They claimed that with some modification win 2000 terminal could even run on a 286 machine with 1MB ram . So my next projet is to build a win2000 server ... and then use the 286 machine as win2k terminal.

Tim Wellman
September 16th, 2004, 03:24 PM
The best idea is to download a lot of the old boot images of games... early pc's ran games on disk that had their own boot system right on the disk with the game... they weren't dos as we know it.
http://retrograde.trustno1.org/infocom.htm
you'll need a newer computer with a 360k floppy drive though, to create the boot disks

you can also download a dos emulator for windows called Flopper that will run these image files on newer systems

apart from that, any old version of dos will work on your older computers, and almost all older dos games fit on a floppy and run directly from floppy... in fact, most were actually *meant* to be run from the floppy