PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIe start-up trouble

jdwalters
June 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Today I just hooked my Apple IIe back up for the first time after moving a year ago. It had worked fine before but now I am having trouble.

Everything is plugged in the correct places (on the exterior anyway).

What happens when I turn the computer & monitor on:

-The screen is green, no 'Apple //e' shows up at any point. It looks the same as if I were to completely unplug the CPU while the monitor was powered.
-I don't hear any spinning at all.
-The green light above the number pad comes on for a second when I flip the power switch on.
-The lights come on on my disk drives (though maybe a bit fainter than I remember?).

I would appreciate any help/suggestions you may have. I've never opened up the CPU before (never needed to) but am not opposed to doing so if needed. Thank you!

-Jeff

Druid6900
June 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Press Ctrl-Open Apple-Closed Apple-Reset to run the in-ROM diagnostics and replace any defective IC shown on the screen.

If you get nothing doing that, turn it off, open it up and re-seat all the socketed chips.

david__schmidt
June 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM
-The green light above the number pad comes on for a second when I flip the power switch on.
Does it then go back off? It sounds to me like the power supply has gone from marginal to bad. You might try unplugging the disk drive to see if you at least get the "Apple //e" signature (and a steady green light) when you turn it on. The extra draw from the disk drive might be more than the power supply can bear.

willowmoon93
June 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I agree -- to me it sounds like a failing power supply. Definitely try out David Schmidt's sugesstion, hopefully then you'll be able to isolate the problem.

Druid6900
June 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
It's possible, but, any shorted chip on the board could crowbar out the supply.

Take out any cards and disconnect the drives and see what starting with a basic system gets you.