PDA

View Full Version : Kilobaud Apple I ad

Floppies_only
June 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Gang,

I just got some old Kilobaud magazines, and the April '77 issue has an ad for the Apple computer. That would be the first Apple. There is a picture of the board with features listed and lines drawn to the areas of the mother board where they are. To wit: breadboard area, crystal controlled timing, 4 fully regulated power supplies, expansion connector, cassette board connector, 8k bytes of RAM, 6502 microprocessor, keyboard interface, firmware in proms, low-profile sockets on all IC'S [sic], and complete video terminal electronics.

The address is:

Apple Computer Company
770 Welch Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304

The price is: $666.66*

* includes 4k bytes RAM

Sneaky, weren't they? :)

My University library still has these magazines, and the public is welcome to look at them. They also have copy machines available. Perhaps a trip to your local university library will give you a chance to see these old magazines, too.

Sean

Arkhan
June 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have a huge pile of these down stairs in a box! I remember seeing some other funny Apple ads in there

barythrin
June 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I (well ok, I can't remember.. too young for that) but I know the original price was $666.66, but does anyone here know why they chose that price?

- John

Floppies_only
June 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I (well ok, I can't remember.. too young for that) but I know the original price was $666.66, but does anyone here know why they chose that price?

- John

The wikipedia article says it's "because Wozniak liked repeating digits" and cites a book as the source.

Sean

Erik
June 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
The wikipedia article says it's "because Wozniak liked repeating digits" and cites a book as the source.

I've heard him say exactly that in person.

Druid6900
June 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'd venture that it's because Apple is The Evil Empire and what would be more fitting than "The Number of the Beast"? :)

In actual fact though, 666 is NOT "The Number of The Beast". It's actually 6 raised to the sixth, raised to the sixth, just in case anyone G.A.S.