PDA

View Full Version : Strange cable, maybe MIDI?

NathanAllan
July 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
This cable came in a lot, and on one end there are male and female db15 ends, and on the other are two din-5 ends, makes me think it's a midi cable, but why such a configuration??

I am compelled to break out the ST and see what I can make it do coupled to a PC's midi port.

Then again, it could be for hooking up instruments. I still feel compelled to use the ST as an instrument, though, or see if I can get an ST emulator and play midi maze against an ST player.

Nathan

andyt31
July 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
This cable came in a lot, and on one end there are male and female db15 ends, and on the other are two din-5 ends, makes me think it's a midi cable, but why such a configuration??

I am compelled to break out the ST and see what I can make it do coupled to a PC's midi port.

Then again, it could be for hooking up instruments. I still feel compelled to use the ST as an instrument, though, or see if I can get an ST emulator and play midi maze against an ST player.

Nathan

I used to use one of these cables on the PC. One 15pin plug plugged into the sound card, and the other you plugged into your joystick. You use the MIDI in and out plugs on a keyboard etc.

carlsson
July 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yes, I still have and use a such cable. I bought a medium expensive one at my local music store, under the impression that my local computer store 1) wouldn't carry a such cable or 2) be even more expensive about it. A few days later I found that the computer store 1) had plenty of such cables, greater in length too and 2) were quite a bit cheaper than the music store. :-/

NathanAllan
July 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
So it's more of an adapter cable, letting you keep everything plugged in all at once. I see.

Still, I wonder if I could play head to head midi maze, PC vs. ST...

Thanks y'all

Nathan

Mike Chambers
July 2nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
yep, i have one of these. you can use it as a joystick extender or a MIDI cable. i use it on my MIDI keyboard.