PDA

View Full Version : BR-2412 What is it?

Cauldronborn
July 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Any idea what this is or where I can get more info on it? Google turns up nil so far. All I know is its a really old computer that appears to be military (probably Army) in origin. Got in a bulk lot of stuff from another collector recently. I've got 2 units that appear to be main CPU's with a bunch of toggle switches and another that appears to be some kind of disk controller. Someone please help me.

carlsson
July 17th, 2008, 01:34 AM
If you get no references on Google, try posting a few pictures here. If it was custom built for the military at best a few people who have worked in that sector might recognize it. If it just a rebranded, modded computer the pictures will tell. Take sharp pictures of the front, toggle switches, any rear connectors, perhaps on the inside if you easily can disassemble it. They don't have to be grotesquely big in file size, just sharp enough to see what's going on.

Tinkerer
July 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
The successor to BR-549? Guidance computer for the Pershing Missile? :D

Cauldronborn
July 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Some pics hopefully this will help.

Cauldronborn
July 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
some more

Cauldronborn
July 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
From one of these pics you can tell this thing is chock full of IC's of some kind. I'd really like to trade this out to someone that might get a bit more useage out of it than me.

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess here, but I don't think I'm too far off.

Bunker-Ramo.

So who was Bunker-Ramo? Sadly, a company many have forgotten. For example:

1945 - First automated system for airlines reservations. Used by American Airlines.
1952 - First computerized on-line real time data processing system ever used commercially.
1957 - First on-line teller terminal system for the banking industry
1964 - First production model cathode ray tube data terminal.
1969 - First electronic stock market. Bunker Ramo began work on the 25 million NASDAQ system that showed the financial community, for the first time, which market offered the best price on a given security. NASDAQ became fully operational in early 1971.
1975 - America's largest on-line bank teller terminal system. Bunker Ramo began installation of 9,000 terminals in over 1,100 branches of Bank of America throughout California.

Originally founded as the Teleregister Corporation in 1928. Sucked up and digested by Allied Chemical (now Allied) sometime around 1980. I used to own stock in BR.

A lot of Bunker-Ramo gear was named as "BR-nnn", which is what makes me think that you might have some of their stuff.

MikeS
July 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Ah, Bunker Ramo; indeed, a name from the past remarkably seldom heard, considering their importance "back then;" I used to have some of their gear, but the only thing left AFAIK is a modem, about the size of a mini-tower, headed for the scrap heap, alas.

m

legalize
May 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know how to contact the original author of this thread? They haven't logged in since they posted it :-(

RICH.SJT
April 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
The BR2412 is a renamed Nuclear Data ND812 that was close to a PDP8. BR bought Electronic Store Information Systems from ND. ESIS made the first Electronic cash register for Jewel Tea stores.

Rich

esis
April 28th, 2014, 12:47 PM
The br-2412 is the Bunker Ramo version of a mini-computer made by Nuclear Data. The Bunker Ramo version was used to control electronic cash registers. The Nuclear Data version was used in nuclear power facilities. They are (12) bit computers with (24K) of memory.

Chuck(G)
April 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Does this thread set some sort of record? Question posed in 2008 and tentatively answered then, seems to be conclusively answered in 2012 and a me too in 2014!

Arargh
November 17th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I used to work for BR-ESIS, way back when.

The main difference between the ND812 and the BR2412 was that the 812 used real CORE memory, and the 2412 used semiconductor memory.

I think I might still have a (broken) 812 motherboard around somewhere. These were wire-wrapped I-C sockets. I remember that they originally used cheaper blue sockets, and after they changed to somewhat more expensive black sockets, the trouble calls dropped off quite a bit.

arargh