PDA

View Full Version : GMail

Erik
September 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
I've got a few GMail (Google Mail) accounts and I've now got invitations on some of them.

If you'd like a GMail account of your own please drop me an email or PM with your name and a contact email address. First come, first served.

Erik

vic user
September 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
what is it?

i am starting to see it pop up on things, have no idea

Erik
September 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Google is beta testing an email system that offers 1GB of message storage.

It's a typical email system in most ways (like hotmail, etc.) but they use their adsense technology to sniff out keywords in messages and put up text links for sites that may relate to the email contents (like they do on Google searches.)

If you don't mind the "intrusion" then it's a really good deal. Most other free email offers much less storage.

I've been using my account a little and it's pretty nicely done. I don't mind the ads, either. It can even be kinda fun to play with the system.

Erik

carlsson
September 23rd, 2004, 02:11 AM
An interesting detail is that since the 1 GB Google GMail, a number of other small parties have begun offering similar or even bigger space, for example Aventure (Ireland). They charge $2 as an opening fee but offers 2-10 GB without advertisements. Max 30000 accounts, which in worst case requires 60-300 TB of disk space... http://www.aventuremail.com/

For a short while, Microsoft also had a bug in their system (?!) that allowed 2 GB MSN accounts to be registered for free, but they soon fixed that and lowered the quota on the newly opened accounts.

Erik
September 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of other services out there.

I happen to own several domains including vintage-computer.com. As such I have pretty much unlimited email (999 accounts on this domain alone with virtually unlimited storage and bandwidth) with web access or POP/SMTP access or whatever.

Still, it was nice to get a "good" address @gmail.com. At worst I can use it as my permanent account, regardless of ISP etc.

Erik

tachyon
September 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
I'm in a similar situation to Eric. I have several websites that I manage, so I have access to quite a few email options. My primary email these days, though, is Yahoo email. I 'subscribe' for $19.95 a year and have 2GB of email space, spam filtering (at no storage cost) and have both web and POP access to the account. I also have no advertising (except the ubiquitous Yahoo self promotion).

I use Yahoo to host my websites because I've had VERY BAD experience with fly by night local ISPs who would let my server go down and stay down for weeks, not take backups, change the server my websites were on without updating DNS, etc. It provides 4GB of storage per account, 75GB of bandwidth, plus 2 GB email storage per each of 25 email addresses that are also available through web and POP...

tachyon

carlsson
September 24th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Regarding email hosts, apparently there are two extremes out there;

- one that rejects or excludes users using any mail from a known, free email like Hotmail, Yahoo etc on the basis that it is too easy to create accounts and too anonymous.

- one that supposes that everyone are using a such provider, and finds all other domains around the world "non-standard" and uses that argument as a reason why email responses etc are delayed or not answered at all.

I also have a few domains at web hotels, of which one I haven't begun using it. This one is a smaller, "fly-by-night" one that will let me use a shell, set up my own .procmail, compile my own filter and other programs (under the condition I am doing honest business, which of course I am). I'm not sure what incoming filters they already apply, but to me some kind of end-user automation and my own software processing and reply service is very valuable, which neither of the big web mails of course can nor want to provide.

Regarding space, this last one offers 1 GB total (web/mail/database) for about $30/year incl. VAT, but excluding domain register fee. I could get 2 GB for $60 or 5 GB for $120/year, but I have nowhere near the need of so much space. Maybe this is expensive, but it was the cheapest I could find locally.