PDA

View Full Version : a network in your home

vic user
September 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
i am just starting to get into transferring text back and forth from all my different computers, and i am starting to plan on how to do my own ascii text message network, since i have computers throughout the house, and i would enjoy being able to do things like type some code for one machine, send it to the central computer instructing it to go to a specified machine, and then, say a few days later, from the recepient computer, retrieve the text and convert to code etc... i think this will be fun, especially writing the code for all the machines.

i guess a local bbs in a way, but just for ascii text so even simpler

i still have to figure out who is going to be the 'head cheese' computer :)

i don't know if i will go down this road, but i do find this product interesting:

http://www.precidia.com/products/product1.html#specs

vic user
September 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
actually, the more i think about it, all i want is an in-house bbs.

one link at a time and just ascii, but everyone has their own mailbox on the host and call also access a communal text area

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2004, 07:25 PM
You might wanna check out this site for some cabling ideas...

http://www.nullmodem.com/SerialToEthernet.htm

--T

vic user
September 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM
thanks terry!

NathanAllan
February 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM
The ether232plus looks awesome! Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'd finally like to hook up the fridge to ethernet, heh heh.

Nathan

NathanAllan
March 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM
I emailed and asked about the Ether232Plus and they offered to let me test it out for 30 days. Very interesting! I was going to do it but then figured all the time I use for school, moving and taking care of chores. So I passed them up. But it was pretty neat that they were willing to do that. Must not be one of those corporate sellers I seem to always run across (the ones with realy crappy tech support and peopel skills). SO I give them a thumbs up for customer service!

Nathan