PDA

View Full Version : AS400 model 170

patook
August 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hello, I am a unix person who has to learn As400fast. I have a 9406-170 running V5R2. It is out of Warranty that I need to upgrade.

I was able to find a 9406-270 and was wondering if I would be able to just move the disks to the bigger box.

I realize I will need to verify that the processor and memory need to be checked to be sure there is more in the 270.

What commands do I need to run to check proc and memory and what other concerns should I look for (twinax, etc)

Thanks so much for your help

mbbrutman
August 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
It's not terribly out of date and not really vintage .. it is a 64 bit RISC machine.

Your best bet for help is to check out comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc on Usenet.

-Mike

SwedaGuy
August 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I agree with Mike...I've got a 9406-170 at 4.5 and one at 4.3...those are getting old. 5.2 is still very functional (and stable, too, from what I hear), so I wouldn't screw with it. I'm curious why you need to change boxes?

patook
August 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
The 170 is becoming too sow and we can't afford a new box.We already got the 270, so I have to move it.

The question I have is if I will be able to just move the disks including the ones with the OS to the new machine and be good to go. It is similar hardware so this should just work on the 270, right? Or does OS/400 use some kind of host ID?

mbbrutman
August 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I can't remember for sure, which is why I suggested the news group.

In general, the OS is the same across all models so the OS won't be the problem. The problem will be serial numbers and license keys. If they are on the disk and don't match the machine I suspect you will get warning messages and a small grace period to fix the problem.

Talk with your business partner and find out the correct way to migrate the apps and data to the newer machine.