PDA

View Full Version : Help with Model 90 I9990012 error

Druid6900
August 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, this time it's me that needs some help.

The second slide for the Model 90s hard drive arrived on Friday along with some other stuff, like a frontplate for installing a 5.25" device next to the floppy drive. (I'm probably not going to use it because that would involve finding yet ANOTHER slide).

Anyway, I installed the slide that Duke sent me (PM me and I'll pony up) on a Quantum 1080s 50 pin SCSI3 device cabled and powered it and the system recognized it after doing an autoconfig.

I set it up in the boot sequence devices after the floppy and installed Caldera OpenDOS 7.01 (as Louis's site said that was one of the OS's it used.

On cold boot-up, I got a I9990022 error at first and it would boot on restart from the ref disk. I discovered that it likes the C: drive at ID6, so, I dug out the drive and jumpered it for 6 and then, on cold boot I got I9990012 instead.

Tested all the components using the advanced diagnostics and there were no errors.

Using the ref disk and diag disk, I rebuild the system partition and, on cold boot, it STILL comes up with I9990012 but will still boot from the ref disk's "start operating system" option.

Digging around on more PS/2 sites, I saw one that suggested LLFing the HD first if you have to rebuild the system partition, so, went through the whole thing again, setting it up, reinstalling the OS et c. and still get the 0012 error and it still will only boot from the ref disk restart.

What am I overlooking here?

modem7
August 19th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Some info at http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/config/iml.html#System_Partition (which covers multiple PS/2 models).
Maybe you've seen it. From there:

"With the old Type 1 and Type 2 Complex BIOS, the maximum IML drive size is 1,023KB" (That "KB" is obviously a typo)
Maybe you're in that boat.

Also, there's the suggestion to "Do a true format with a non-IBM controller".

Druid6900
August 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Some info at http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/config/iml.html#System_Partition (which covers multiple PS/2 models).
Maybe you've seen it. From there:

"With the old Type 1 and Type 2 Complex BIOS, the maximum IML drive size is 1,023KB" (That "KB" is obviously a typo)
Maybe you're in that boat.

Also, there's the suggestion to "Do a true format with a non-IBM controller".

Hmmm, must have missed that section completely.

I'll have to check the BIOS revision and see. I think the next largest SCSI drives I have are 540MB, so, if that IS the problem, then they are well within the upper limit.

If the BIOS is one that supports the larger drives, I'll try formatting the GIG+ drives on a test-jig with an Adaptec controller.

I'll get back with the results.

Thanks for the tips, M7

Druid6900
August 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Progress!

Put in a 540MB drive, went through the whole routine and it works fine.

The other Model 90 I have has the updated complex and the updated SCSI controller, so, it should take the 1080. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the assist, M7

Druid6900
August 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Ok, the other Model 90 took the 1080 drive with no problem, so, I now have a SX-25 and a DX2-50 in excellent condition.

Thanks to all involved