PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Soundcard

per
August 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I recently got a full-blown SoundBlaster 16 PRO CSP (model: CT2290) 16-bit ISA card with a Creative CD-ROM reader (problably not IDE, however, it's supported by the card). It got all of the IC's, here is the names and a rough explanation:

CT1703-TBS ???
CT1741 v413 DSP v4.13
CT1745A Mixer
CT1747 FM (for AdLib support I guess)
CT1748A CSP
Panasonic CD-ROM Reader support
ATAPI CD-ROM Reader support
MIDI Daughterboard support
The card is pretty big, but not quite as big as full length cards.

Image of a card like mine, but which is lacking the Panasonic CD-ROM interface: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2290_Scan.jpg

I'm running DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11, the system has a 486SX @ 25MHz, 8MB RAM and 18 MB/116MB free HDD space. I got a coupple software/driver disks for the SoundBlaster 16.

And now to the question I have...

I want to replace my current OPTi 931 (it has an ATAPI [hitachi] cd-rom reader attached) with this SoundBlaster 16 card.....
Is it worth the mess (New drivers/IRQ settings/IO ports/ech.)?

Trixter
August 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I want to replace my current OPTi 931 (it has an ATAPI [hitachi] cd-rom reader attached) with this SoundBlaster 16 card.....
Is it worth the mess (New drivers/IRQ settings/IO ports/ech.)?

Why do you want to do this? Is the existing one not working?

With a real ATAPI header on your motherboard, I wouldn't use the SB one.

per
August 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Why do you want to do this? Is the existing one not working?

With a real ATAPI header on your motherboard, I wouldn't use the SB one.

*(I don't know if it is ATAPI or not, but I have guessed that standard IDE CD-ROMs are the same as ATAPI drives. However, I don't know more than the average PC-user about CD-ROM drives/interfaces.)

You've misunderstod a small detail. The IDE* header is on the OPTi Sound card, not the motherboard. The problem with the OPTi 931 card is that the driver for the CD-ROM interface in CONFIG.SYS (It IS the right one, it's even the right version!) won't work corectly. It reports that the Interface was successfully loaded, but it won't work until a driver in AUTOEXEC.BAT is loaded before a warm-boot.

But what I was thinking of in general was if the SB16 sound quality/feautres are better than the sound quality/feautres of the OPTi 931...

Anonymous Coward
August 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Sound Blasters have notoriously crappy sound quality.

ATAPI and IDE are the same thing.

Your CD-ROM drive will work fine in DOS set as a primary slave on your IDE controller, however I've had issues with it in windows regarding 32-bit disk access. You're best off to have it set as a master on its own controller. If your motherboard doesn't have a secondary IDE controller, give the SB16 header a shot. If that doesn't work, try getting a 16-bit IDE controller that can be configured as secondary.

modem7
August 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Just in case someone takes that out of context, in the early days, whilst ATAPI and IDE were the same at the hardware level, they were different at the software level.
A good quick description is at http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/confATAPI-c.html

per
August 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Sound Blasters have notoriously crappy sound quality.

Your CD-ROM drive will work fine in DOS set as a primary slave on your IDE controller, however I've had issues with it in windows regarding 32-bit disk access. You're best off to have it set as a master on its own controller. If your motherboard doesn't have a secondary IDE controller, give the SB16 header a shot. If that doesn't work, try getting a 16-bit IDE controller that can be configured as secondary.

Just want to make this clear. My computer doesn't have any extra controllers buildt into the motherboard (except for a standard KeyBoard controller). The HDD and FDD are accessed through a standard ISA floppy/IDE disk controller. I don't think that controller has any ATAPI interface, since my CMOS Setup doesn't have an ATAPI option. That's why the CD-ROM have to be conected to the soundcard.

Anonymous Coward
August 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
You don't need BIOS support to run ATAPI devices on a standard IDE port. All you do is hook up the drive, and load the DOS device drivers (in your case, OAK). On a system like yours which only has BIOS support for a primary IDE controller, you would set the primary slave to "NOT INSTALLED" in the BIOS setup assuming that's where you've put your ATAPI CD-ROM drive. I've done this before on a system just like yours. Everything worked fine except for the windows 32-bit file access thing I mentioned.

Assuming you install a secondary IDE controller and put the CD-ROM drive on it, all you would need to do is load the OAK CD-ROM driver in DOS.

I've never used the tertiary IDE controller that comes with the SB16 PRO before, but I'm going to assume the OAK driver should also work. You should give it a shot and see. The only possible disadvantage I could see using the SB16 IDE port is that some software might not recognise tertiary IDE controllers.

The OAK driver is included on Windows 98 bootdisks with CD-ROM support.

One last thing I should mention, booting from the CD-ROM drive won't be possible with your system because your BIOS is old and doesn't support it. The only way I could see it happening is to use a SCSI CD-ROM drive.

per
September 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM
I've done this before on a system just like yours. Everything worked fine except for the windows 32-bit file access thing I mentioned.

E-hem... It's not the windows 32-bit file access that's the problem. The problem is that the HIT-IDE.SYS in config.sys yells "No CD-ROM found, aborting instalation" because CDSETUP.SYS won't do it's work right (unless the AUTOEXEC.BAT driver SNDINIT.EXE /b is loaded before a warm boot).

hence, the CD-ROM drive doesn't even work corectly in DOS.

Anonymous Coward
September 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM
Did you try OAKCDROM.sys as I suggested?

per
September 1st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Did you try OAKCDROM.sys as I suggested?

Haven't gotten so far yet... I do actually live away from home by the time, but I'll give it a try next weekend.

per
October 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I have now gotten to try the OAKCDROM.SYS, but it didn't work. I then figured that it was my soundcards PnP driver that wouldn't ineract correctly. I then replaced the soundcard with my non PnP SB 16, had some hard time installing the drivers (at the first attempt, i'd problably touched my custom made Floppydiskcable [for manually swiching A: and B:], and drive a: returned "Bad file allocation table" all the time. It might also be that I forgot to remove the DISIDE jumper). I finally got the SB installed right with drivers and everything, and it seems to work, at least CD-ROM works without problems.

However, the sound output is rather low, but acceptable if I set the "Output gain" to x4. There is also a minor clicky noise before a WAV file is played. BUT sound and CD works without trouble, (The computer even speaks if I want it to :D ,) and that's the imporiant thing.

per
October 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
However, when I run the diagnostic, it seems to run fine. 8-bit sound; left, right and both; works perfect, MIDI; Perfect, However, if I try to do the 16 bit tests, the system halts with a "PAITIRY ERROR, ADRESS XXXX:YYYY, SYSTEM HALTED". What might cause this?

I haven't tried to run the diagnostic from windows yet, but I'll try.

JT64
March 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hello Per what kind of devices can one expcect to work on the CT2290?

Is it only standard CD-rom drives, could it read from a CF card?
Do new DVD and optical unit support the original ATAPI standard?

My CT2290 is according to Wikipedia a
"Sound Blaster 16 IDE, with the then-new ATAPI IDE interface for CD-ROMs. ASP socket."

I bought a Creative CD-rom 32X MX drive for it yesterday, this must work?
Nice prices 10 cent to bad i had to pay 4 Euro for shipping.

Will be interesting to see if i get it to work in my XT though.

JT

per
March 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hello Per what kind of devices can one expcect to work on the CT2290?

Is it only standard CD-rom drives, could it read from a CF card?
Do new DVD and optical unit support the original ATAPI standard?

My CT2290 is according to Wikipedia a
"Sound Blaster 16 IDE, with the then-new ATAPI IDE interface for CD-ROMs. ASP socket."

I bought a Creative CD-rom 32X MX drive for it yesterday, this must work?
Nice prices 10 cent to bad i had to pay 4 Euro for shipping.

Will be interesting to see if i get it to work in my XT though.

JT
You might get parts of it to work in an XT (8-bit stuff), but anything else than that would require an 286, 386, or more recent system.

The CD-Rom you are reffering too sounds like an ATAPI drive. This is becaue they stoped making Panasonic drives at around 2x speed, so panasonic interface is typically for older drives.

However, there doesn't seem to be any driver for neither CD-ROM interface that works with the XT.