PDA

View Full Version : ISA cards on tandy plus ports

Mike Chambers
August 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
i know the XT ISA bus and the tandy PLUS expansion slots are electrically identical. you just need to make a passive adapter. i don't know if i want to take the time to do it, can i buy them anywhere?

kb2syd
August 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
They're not that hard to make. Takes about 10 minutes, but you're really limited to 2 isa slots (and don't foget, there isn't any DMA).

Get yourself a 62 pin female IDC header, 2 62 pin card edge connectors and about 10 inches of 62 pind ribbon cable. Crimp the IDC header on one end, and the two card edge connectors further up the cable.

Get yourself the hx tech ref and the ISA pinouts and make sure they match 1-to-1. There might be some reversal there.

Mike Chambers
August 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
They're not that hard to make. Takes about 10 minutes, but you're really limited to 2 isa slots (and don't foget, there isn't any DMA).

Get yourself a 62 pin female IDC header, 2 62 pin card edge connectors and about 10 inches of 62 pind ribbon cable. Crimp the IDC header on one end, and the two card edge connectors further up the cable.

Get yourself the hx tech ref and the ISA pinouts and make sure they match 1-to-1. There might be some reversal there.

i just used a bandsaw to get an 8-bit ISA header off of a long-dead 286 board. :):):)

looking at the pinout, the only differences are side A and B are reversed on the tandy. side A is electrically identical to the ISA header's side A, and side B only has like 3 or 4 differences... yeah this should be easy actually. i just need to get this baby online with my NE1000. :twisted:

there's no way i am going to just start soldering wires to my "new" tandy's pins, in case i ever want to use both plus connectors so yeah i'll need a female IDC header. problem is, i'm not sure where to get one...

Mike Chambers
August 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
n/m i rigged something up with a belt sander and some extra hd/floppy cables.

i'm so resourceful!

Unknown_K
August 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The 640K upgrade card gives you DMA, then you rig the plus to ISA adapter to that I think.

Mike Chambers
August 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
The 640K upgrade card gives you DMA, then you rig the plus to ISA adapter to that I think.

i am lucky enough to have one in mine. here's the ghetto rig i put together on it.

http://rubbermallet.org/expansion.jpg

lol yeah i know. but i'm going to solder all those leads to the ISA header which you see behind it. complete hack job but it should should work fine.

maybe i can rig some way for that ISA slot to screw into the back like a normal expansion card so it won't move, and you simply plug your ISA card into it on the back.