PDA

View Full Version : Apple 2 barebones or PCB?

Postal Patron
October 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5129251049&fromMakeTrack=true

Quote:
First Apple II from mid 70's. This was sold as a PCB only for hobbyists. I had to rig a power supply, monitor and I/O. I only have the board at this time.Used for games for several years.

I never knew Apple made a Printer Curcuit Board for the Apple 2. I thought all Apple 2s were in cases. Is this an Apple I or is this guy mistaken? Or a new type of Apple 2?

Erik
October 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM
It's not an Apple I for sure.

I think you're right that Apple never sold the II as just a PCB. What this guy has, then, is an Apple II minus the case, keyboard and power supply. . . :)

Erik

Exluddite
October 11th, 2004, 09:27 PM
A bargain at $1,000. :shock:

tachyon
October 12th, 2004, 06:15 AM
That is an Apple ][ system board. It looks like an early Integer Basic romset. Apple did sell boards only... as repair parts. The owner may have been able to buy just the board from a dealer.

As to the price, apparently all the controlled substances the owner smoked during his Apple ][ days are causing a flashback on the price, but to the car they owned at the time...

tachyon

Postal Patron
October 13th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hey, I have about 5 full systems and I'd gladly pop a motherboard and allow someone to simulate what it is to attach a keyboard, cassette, and monitor like an Apple I for a lot less.

vbriel
October 15th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Looking at the green slots this is an early Apple II board, the Apple 1 only had 1 expansion slot. Also early in the Apple II design insisted that there would be an option to purchase the board alone. If you browse the net you will find price lists for Apple computers showing an Apple 1 and Apple II's and the option of just buying an Apple II motherboard. So, it was available but most people purchased the full system.

Cheers,

Vince

Postal Patron
October 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
But how would you uniquely identify an Apple II barebones form a board that was in a preassembled system? How do you identify the real ones?

tachyon
October 16th, 2004, 05:46 AM
An *original* sales receipt is the only way I can think of...

tachyon