PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget about the battery!



tezza
August 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Re: the haul of Apples I posted a note about yesterday.

In the stack was an Apple IIGS. I won't be using it anytime soon though. The photo below shows why.

http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/images/08-09-04-appleIIgs-battery-leak-web.jpg

Certainly this bought home to me that on-board batteries should be removed prior to any long-term storage. The acid had leaked right through into the bottom of the case.

I removed the socketed chips and all cards but this particular one is for the dumpster. Strangely, this was the only unit that seemed to have been rodent free? I guess having a pool of acid in your living space just wasn't that appealing :)

Tez

Unknown_K
August 31st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Are you sure thats not rat pee? I have yet to see that type of battery leak in a mac or IIgs I have (I know of somebodies LC III that had one explode for some reason). Also there seems to be quit a bit of leakage.

What card is that in the slot?

tezza
August 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, it's definitely the battery. Although you can't see from the photo, it's almost completely spit open and the acid is wet and dripping. It's corroded several nearby capacitors (they have turned a fuzzy blue). No sign of a mouse inhabitation in this one.

The machine was housed in a damp environment and subjected to temperature extremes which I'm sure didn't help.

That card? Hmm...not sure what that did? It's now packed away with the salvaged bits and pieces.

Pity about the motherboard. I did some reading on the Apple IIGS , and it was a notable machine historically as it was the last of the AppleII line. Hence a working model would have been a welcome addition to my collection.

Tez

Tinkerer
September 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Looking at what would be the left side of the battery holder, it almost appears the battery may have exploded, possibly from a short(?). A sad thing to see.:(
The battery in the Commodore PC-20 II I have leaked onto the board, but I may be able to repair it. It looks to be only superficial. The Western Digital WD93028 HDD is another story. I can't even get a POST after installing it in any other machine.

leaknoil
September 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
I've got one just like this only maybe even worse. Take note IIgs owners. Don't store these for any length if time with these batteries installed. Mine is DoA as well and the stuff ate right thru the traces on the motherboard to the other side. The acid goop is still wet and mobile years after they burst it seems. The stuff was still fairly liquid even though the corrosion made it clear the original damage happened a very long time ago.

This might only a rom 3 problem. Maybe even only these particular batteries since I have the same exact one in mine as the pictures. Fewer rom 3 gs's around means fewer reports. Probably why this isn't a more common problem. If you have a gs with a battery like this get rid of the thing.

leaknoil
September 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Looking at what would be the left side of the battery holder, it almost appears the battery may have exploded, possibly from a short(?). A sad thing to see.:(

The top comes off and all the goop leaks out of it. It was very clear on mine. The top was still sort of hanging on by the label and the bottom half of the battery looked like it was brand new.

Its really amazing how caustic this stuff is. You don't think of it when looking at a battery. It ate straight thru everything.

linemanduke
September 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
i better go pull mine then lol

Tinkerer
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
....Its really amazing how caustic this stuff is....
Yeah. I have a GI 920 satellite reciever/decoder that should have its lithium batteries replaced on both the analog and digital boards. I've read and understand the procedure. What keeps me from doing it is reading about the batteries exploding when cutting the leads and the corrosive lithium eating its way into the circuit board.
But I digress. It's sad when hearing a vintage Apple has met its maker. :(

Unknown_K
September 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
I replaced all the batteries in my Amigas with coin type ones as soon as I got them. I would snip the barrel type PC batteries in old 386 units when they start to get crystals on the ends. But for my Macs and IIgs I just leave them inside, have yet to spot a leak in one even the ones with the original batteries from the late 80's.

I kind of wonder if those IIgs that exploded might have been stored in an area with major humidity and heating and cooling extremes?

tezza
September 2nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
I kind of wonder if those IIgs that exploded might have been stored in an area with major humidity and heating and cooling extremes?

Well, mine spent many years in a barn, so it certainly would have got damp. Temperatures are not extreme in NZ but in no way was it ideal storage conditions.

BTW, my unit was a ROM 3 model, so maybe it is the battery used in those models?

If I had a IIGS in storage, I would be checking the battery though no matter what the storage environment, just in case.

leaknoil
September 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
The one I had was stored in a closet inside a house in California. Inland California too where its nice and dry. Might just be a bad batch of batteries. Mine was a rom 3 as well.

Still probably best to remove it if your storing it for long periods. True for any electronics really. I can't see any reason to risk it. It does happen and it's pretty nasty when it does.