PDA

View Full Version : SuperPET

billdeg
September 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Hi - I don't know if anyone here ever bothered to get a SuperPET to actually do something constructive...it's not easy.

I was finally able to get the @#$%! thing to print from a Waterloo Pascal program. The use of character variables is very weak and for that matter Pascal is not my favorite choice either. The CBM Waterloo docs barely scratch the surface of practical program design.

I compare the SuperPET to working with an IBM PC that stopped development at DOS 1.0. The SuperPET had a lot of potential, but nothing much came from it. Once you get used to the editor it's pretty slick.

If you come upon one of these machines and you're banging your head to try to get it to anything other than in 8032 mode, think of me! When I have time I will post some tips and tricks here and on my web site.

bd

tezza
September 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi - I don't know if anyone here ever bothered to get a SuperPET to actually do something constructive...it's not easy.

I can imagine. One of the reasons I'd love a Pet in my collection is the look. It's a distinctive shape which is an all-in-one design. Same with the Tandy III and 4.

It kinda looks like a computer should, through retro-goggles anyway.

Tez

Bill_Loguidice
September 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I can imagine. One of the reasons I'd love a Pet in my collection is the look. It's a distinctive shape which is an all-in-one design. Same with the Tandy III and 4.

It kinda looks like a computer should, through retro-goggles anyway.

Tez

"looks like a computer should,"... Something I've said about the Tandy Model III and 4 myself, which is why it was important for me to get one. I also have two SuperPETs as mentioned in this topic, though one is missing the second processor. I also have an original PET. The all-in-one's are heavy and tough to store and if the built-in monitor goes you're kind of screwed, but there's no denying to retro enthusiast they're extremely cool.

billdeg
September 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I am looking for a local 4032 PET (not worth shipping). I will trade a working 8032 for a working 4032 if anyone in the MidAtlantic area.
Bill

Luzur
October 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM
i got 3 of them, 8032-SK 200, 2001-B and a 8032.

wonderful looking machines i must say :D
too bad i dont have the room for them in the house (they are packed away in a storageroom now), otherwise i would have them up and connected on a desk.

MikeS
October 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am looking for a local 4032 PET (not worth shipping). I will trade a working 8032 for a working 4032 if anyone in the MidAtlantic area.
Bill
-----
What's the difference? AFAIK at least the later boards are the same, with a set of jumpers and (I think) a different ROM.

Ah, yes, I think the keyboards were different...

Just filling gaps in your collection, I assume.

m

carlsson
October 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to modify a late 8032 to work both in 40 and 80 columns, perhaps an external switch for ROM versions and jumper settings?

billdeg
October 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Mike,

Actually what I want to do is install a 64K memory upgrade meant for the 8032 into a 4032 instead. If successful I will have a "PET 4096" to play with.

I have a 4016, but that won't work.

Bill

MikeS
October 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Is it possible to modify a late 8032 to work both in 40 and 80 columns, perhaps an external switch for ROM versions and jumper settings?
---------
Shouldn't be too difficult; I was going to try it myself many years ago but never got past installing movable jumpers to do it the tedious way. A couple of gate chips (or a multi-pole relay) should do the job.

mike

MikeS
October 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Mike,

Actually what I want to do is install a 64K memory upgrade meant for the 8032 into a 4032 instead. If successful I will have a "PET 4096" to play with.

I have a 4016, but that won't work.

Bill
---------
I've always wondered: what is out there that takes advantage of the extra 64K (on either 40- or 8032)?

Seems to me with today's memory chips it'd be a pretty simple hack, but then what?
I don't even know what to do with the MTU expansion on my 2001...

m