PDA

View Full Version : Any Former Multicians Around

denton.burr
September 10th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I had severe Honeywell Drain Bamage and absolutely LOVED Multics. I got to use the M.I.T. devmultics and the Honeywell PCO machine while in high school and I even use to love PL/I.

Wondering is there are any former Multicians in the crowd.

Best Regards.
Denton

Sam.Lavitt
October 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I am in the process of trying to write a PL/1 compiler and port Multics to a modern hardware platform. I have managed to acquire a good bit of the source code of later releases, and am putting together what I can. I'm espicially interested in some of the more unusual systems, being an Information Assurance major, such as Doc(k)master, Blacker (which from what I understand is Multics based) etc.

I would love to share notes and learn anything you might have to contribute to my effort, or anything I can do to assist you.

barythrin
October 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Wow. Impressive task, that'd be awesome to port multics. You're probably familiar with http://www.multicians.org/ which has some links of interest (other users/developers, link to some source code also).

Let us know how it goes :-) Maybe even porting it to another vintage system might be easier/quicker. Wonder if it would be possible for an IBM 5100 to run, though I guess memory would be the issue at first.