PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Model 25.

pkmnct
September 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi I recently got a free IBM model 25 ps/2 computer. When I turn it on, it counts the memory up to 640kb OK, then skips a line, then sits with a blinking cursor. I am unable to type anything, or turn off num lock. I have also learned that it has a 720k floppy drive. I have about ten 720 k floppies, but windows vista won't format them that way. Is there a way to get it to at least boot an os like MS-DOS, or OS/2??

Also I am new, so i think this is the right place.

Ole Juul
September 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't have any concrete answers for you right now, but I must say that the model 25 is one of my alltime favourites. I used to have two of them. There's one sitting on the shelf in my storeroom.

If you are limited to a machine which runs Vista (pity) then you can boot MSdos622 on that and format a 720 that way. That is, asuming that the bios supports it. It's been a long time since I fire up my "25" but I seem to remember that it had some kind of OS preference. Probably IBM-dos, Someone here ought to know about that. I also found very detailed information in Scott Mueller's (sp?) book on PC repair which highlights early IBMs. Good luck!

PS: If you're going to fool with older machines you might consider taking a trowaway computer (P133 or older), putting DOS on it and adding a 5 1/4 drive. You'll find it invaluable for writing boot disks.

billdeg
September 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
if you leave the drives empty and the system does not ask for the system disk, you have a RAM or controller problem. Try removing all cards from the system and booting. It could be anything at this point.
bd

Allen
September 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Normally you would type
FORMAT A: /F:720 in DOS to format a 720 KB floppy disk, but /F:720 isn't recognized in Microsoft Windows XP Command Prompt (and probably not Vista). Instead, use this in Command Prompt:
FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9

Since the /S switch (format a bootable system disk) isn't recognized in Microsoft Windows XP Command Prompt (and probably not Vista), you won't be able to format a bootable 720 KB diskette in Microsoft Windows XP or Vista. You would have to format the diskette first, then make it bootable with an image file.

If you can get your Model 25 to boot from the diskette drive, get the starter or reference diskette for this model first since you will probably have to set it up first. I found this page on the Internet that has a variety of IBM PS/2 bootable diskettes, including a bootable DOS 720 KB diskette: http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs.

But it sounds like you have a problem with the Model 25 that won't allow you to boot from the diskette drive.

IBMMuseum
September 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi I recently got a free IBM model 25 ps/2 computer. When I turn it on, it counts the memory up to 640kb OK, then skips a line, then sits with a blinking cursor. I am unable to type anything, or turn off num lock. I have also learned that it has a 720k floppy drive. I have about ten 720 k floppies, but windows vista won't format them that way. Is there a way to get it to at least boot an os like MS-DOS, or OS/2??

Also I am new, so i think this is the right place.

Actually the Model 25 can be retrofitted with a 1.44Mb floppy drive common on other PS/2s. And really the ¨Starter Diskette¨ isn´t really necessary to set the system up. But I´m with the others - If it does nothing after the RAM count there is something else wrong (it would normally at least throw you in ROM BASIC).

pkmnct
September 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
ok, i got the drive in vista to format a 720k disk. I got a disk written and put it in. It just sat after the kb count. i don't have any extra cards in it.

any advice