PDA

View Full Version : Caching IDE controllers

Anonymous Coward
October 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Recently I have come to own a caching IDE controller made by Perceptive Solutions, called the "WinStore". It's pretty interesting because it has some sort of compression coprocessor daughterboard attached to it. Does anybody have any idea of what kind of performance I might be able to expect out of this thing? I was thinking about using it in one of my 486 class systems, but many people seem to suggest that caching controllers are useless on motherboards that have sufficient amounts of memory. So, I was considering using this controller on a 286 system instead, where the onboard memory is quite a bit slower. Do you guys think that I would recieve any real performance benefits running one of these controllers in an 8mb 286 system? Another "great" feature of this card is that it only seems to support up to 512mb drives!!!! I wonder if overlays work with it.

Unknown_K
October 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
http://www.psidisk.com/legacy.html#ws

WinStore

The WinStore is a reduced feature, specialized ASIC version of the 400I EasyCache Pro (see below). The board was sold for a limited time, between the introduction of IDE drives and before these drives became larger than 512MB which required a change in motherboard BIOS support.

These boards are identifiable by a silk-screen legend, IDE, Rev-B1 between the memory and ROM sockets. Up to 8MB of user installable memory was supported. The boards include 256KB of onboard memory. Additional memory is required for drives above 200MB total capacity.

The board provides disk caching support for up to 2 drives of up to 512 MB each. Drive parameters are set in the motherboard BIOS. The controller occupies I/O address space identical to that of a standard IDE controller. Motherboards with onboard controllers will have conflicting addresses.

Upgrades and support are no longer available. If specific information is required, contact PSI.

rvdbijl
July 28th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Hi All,

I just picked up one of these controllers off eBay with the Stac caching chip on it. I currently have it working with a 30MB DOM on an IBM 6MHz AT (286), and it boots, etc. But I don't think it's actually compressing (or caching) anything.

This post was very old, but about the only information I could find online on this controller. Does anyone know if a manual or drivers can be found anywhere? The psidisk.com domain no longer exists...

Thanks!

SpidersWeb
July 29th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Hi All,

I just picked up one of these controllers off eBay with the Stac caching chip on it. I currently have it working with a 30MB DOM on an IBM 6MHz AT (286), and it boots, etc. But I don't think it's actually compressing (or caching) anything.

This post was very old, but about the only information I could find online on this controller. Does anyone know if a manual or drivers can be found anywhere? The psidisk.com domain no longer exists...

Thanks!

Internet Archive can be useful when sites go offline
Unfortunately I don't see any downloads for the ISA cards on the site though. Guess this company was using the BBS for that back then.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050307161202/http://www.psidisk.com:80/legacy.html

rvdbijl
July 31st, 2018, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Internet Archive. Didn't think of that!
Like you said.. Unfortunately no downloads / manuals for the older stuff... I'll keep looking!

Veeb0rg
February 25th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Internet Archive. Didn't think of that!
Like you said.. Unfortunately no downloads / manuals for the older stuff... I'll keep looking!

If your still looking I may have what you need. I was cleaning out a closet at my parents house and found this.
https://i.imgur.com/fmDkN4al.jpg?1

Everything is here except the card itself, I even have the hardware daughter card still. I will try to get the disc's imaged for ya when I get a moment, hopefully they still work after being in a closet for so long.