PDA

View Full Version : hard drive problems

linemanduke
September 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
i just got a compaq portable 486c it ran for a few hours then had a hard drive time out. now it wont do any thing i can some times get it to spin up but thats it i want to see if yall have any suggestions or tricks to get it running just long enough to ppull some files off. the drive is a connor cp 30101.

linemanduke
September 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
well finally coming to the conclusion that my control board is dead anyone have compaqs version of 3.11? and their dos and id really like to get a copy of the demo that was on this drive. hopefully i will find another hard drive of the same kind and i can swap boards. oh and i need the pinout for the power connector.

Ole Juul
September 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm just curious, what is a "hard drive timeout"? How did you figure out that it was the electronics? In my experience, old drives often have problems spinning up and something like a hair dryer can get them going. (I won't get into a stiction argument now VBG)

Also, if it spins up sometimes, why don't you take off the stuff that you want then?

linemanduke
September 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
because even when it spun up it wouldn't access id get a controller error. i know its not stiction and i checked the computer with another hard drive and it worked. and as for hard drive time out its when the hard drive stops responding i guess. i tried to access the drive from windows norton desktop and about 5 minutes later it bsoded and said there was a hard drive timeout.