PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavour

per
September 13th, 2008, 01:43 AM
When I got my 486SX computer (For those who don't know, it's an ECS 486-UL), I used it pretty much. Mostly because it was the only computer I had by that time, however, one of my other projects then was to get my Radio-controlled car cleaned up [I just hate leaking batteries]. After some time, I got the car cleaned up to the state where it could run. One day, I left the car on next to the 486 while I turned the computer on.

This happened: The car got "Crazy". For the most, it turned it's wheels left and right pretty fast, and when Windows started and the logo appeard on the screen, the car started to drive forwards (the wheels eventually stopped going right and left then).

Looks like something inside the PC are using the same frequency as the car, however I don't know what. The car has a frequency of 27MHz.

The processor clock in the PC is only 25MHz...
The ISA Bus clock is ~14MHz...
The clocks for the FDD controller are 9.6MHz and 16MHz...

I don't remember the clocks on the video adaptor or Sound card, but I think the video adaptor might have something to do with the case (as of the car reacted different in the different video modes). Have anybody here experienced something similar?

NathanAllan
September 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
That's a weird thing for sure! A friend of mine was working on a radio near his computer, and when he turned it on it sent out some kind of hello signal and the whole computer and monitor just turned off. From then on he kept the two seperated pretty far apart. Luckily nothing got blown-- it was a pretty big burst for it to have an effect like that.

Nathan

frozenfire75i
September 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM
The samething that lets the Altair 8080 play the music over the radio.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/audio/digibarn-radio/altair-music-erik-klein/index.html

JeffMeunier
September 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
and when Windows started and the logo appeard on the screen, the car started to drive forwards
Windows was broadcasting "Microsoft double plus good, other companies double plus ungood".

Seriously, though, it makes you wonder what's happening to us sitting surrounded by these machines all day. However, I am 40 and I still don't need glasses, even though most of my family said I'd be wearing them by the time I was 14. (been a computer nerd for a loooong time) (I mean, a double plus long time)

I wonder if it's much different from being a ham radio operator.

per
September 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The samething that lets the Altair 8080 play the music over the radio.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/audio/digibarn-radio/altair-music-erik-klein/index.html

(The same thing can be done with the TI-83/84 calculators!!! but that's kinda off topic for this forum... Anyways)

I can try to record a video of it as soon as I get back home (problably two weeks from now unless something unexpected happens).

Terry Yager
September 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
No, but whenever my cell fone rings, I can hear it over the stereo, if it's in the vicinity. ...And, when my neighbor turns on his multi-megawatt GhettoDisintegrator car stereo, it causes RFI (snow, etc.) on my laptop screen, as well as a huge booming sound from my speakers...(I hate him...must murderdeathkill him someday)!!!

--T