PDA

View Full Version : Pet 8050 Drive issues

Panther
September 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM
When I boot up my 8096-sk and it's connected to the drive, the drive lights flash as they should, center light goes green, when I use the command 'Print DS$' and I get the message 73,cbm dos v2.5 8050,00,00 Which is right as far as I can tell

If I then use the command 'Header"Game",d1' with a disk in drive 1 the drive spins for a while then makes a strange machine gun noise, the drive head appears to move back towards the motor and then reaches it's limit (if that makes sense) causing the noise as the motor tries to move it back further. I then get the message '? bad disk' If I then retype 'Print DS$' I get the following message '21,read error,39,00' (this happens on both drive 0 & 1), the drive head starts in the middle of the disc and moves outwards instead of starting towards the centre.

I'm sure that this is due to drive head misalignment, but have no idea how to correct it, information on the net is rarer than finding a cheap jupiter ace on ebay !!

Anyone help ?, my Pet works great, just wished I could get the damn disk drive working !!! :mad:

billdeg
September 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
The error after a failed format attempt is normal. Your processor board is OK.

Try this:

1. Put a disk in the other (right hand drive, drive 0)

2. RUn this command

header "diskname",d0,i01

3. Let me know how it goes.

Bill

80sFreak
September 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Go here (http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/) for the main page of *the* place for C= 8-bit tech documents and here (http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/old/8050/index.html) for the 8050/8250 service manual.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Panther
September 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys for the tips, got it all sorted, turns out I was using the 'header"diskname",dx' command rather than the 'header"diskname",dx,ixx' command.

Managed to initialise a disk in both drives, and read the (albeit) empty directory back !! a whopping 2052 blocks free